Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • The decision to go alone on selling and servicing Teslas without succumbing to the NADA mafia.
  • The bold decision to kick out Mobile Eye in order to march faster towards the long term goal of FSD
  • The decision to open the first Giga factory, when the conventional wisdom said batteries are commodities and it is best left to the "experts' who specialize in manufacturing them for decades.
  • The decision to go for thousands of small cylindrical batteries when the industry was doing much bigger pouch cells.
Every one of these decisions were crucial for Tesla to succeed to where it is today. Even in of one of those decisions if Tesla had taken a different route, they would have lost the race.
Maybe my memory is going...

Mobile Eye broke up with Tesla.

GF1 cell production is/ was by the experts of Panasonic.

What industry was doing EVs with pouch cells when Tesla released the Roadster?
Leaf wasn't out yet, Prius was a non-plugin hybrid. EV1 was lead acid.

Mobile eye would have stuck around if Tesla backed down to what Mobile eye wanted, no?

“MobileEye NV said it would no longer provide its computer chips and algorithms to Tesla after a current contract ends due to disagreements about how the technology was deployed.”

I wonder if it was Tesla or Panasonic that pushed for Giga NV. I doubt it was Panasonic.

I’m glad Tesla didn’t and won’t switch to pouch when others went that route.

Last edited:

If I remember correctly, Tesla wanted access to the raw data from the Mobile Eye chips, but Mobile Eye wouldn't allow it, so Tesla decided to do their own thing instead.
I'm pretty sure the Nevada Gigafactory was Tesla's idea, and just had to convince Panasonic to pony up the investment money to partner with them in the project. At least that's how I remember it.

Simple. Tesla adds FSD to most used Tesla's which gives them tremendous profitability. Since you already have FSD on that Model X, it's more profitable for you to sell it privately, and not a missed opportunity for Tesla.

As for the rest, do you not have FSD Beta on your Model X? The technical progress is obvious to anywone who is actually USING the software. Your concerns about prospects for future progress sound more like distilled FUD than any technical issue.

TL;dr It'll take as long as it takes to create FSD, the path is clearly toward successful completion. That FSD timeline is unrelated to the used car business.
I do have FSD and use it 90% of the time. The issue I have is that Tesla does not show money where its mouth is. It is not an apreciating asset. Give 100% trade in value for FSD and people will start trading in for new cars. It will show the world it believes in FSD and Robotaxi. The way Tesla is treating people now shows that Tesla does not believe in the value of FSD, despite all the words from Elon Musk.

I do have FSD and use it 90% of the time. The issue I have is that Tesla does not show money where its mouth is. It is not an apreciating asset. Give 100% trade in value for FSD and people will start trading in for new cars. It will show the world it believes in FSD and Robotaxi. The way Tesla is treating people now shows that Tesla does not believe in the value of FSD, despite all the words from Elon Musk.
I seem to recall a couple years ago FSD was valued at zero on a tesla trade in. Has that changed?

I seem to recall a couple years ago FSD was valued at zero on a tesla trade in. Has that changed?
If you look at the used car prices on tesla.com you will see a difference in value between Autpilot, Enhanced Autopilot, and Full Self Driving.

You might not think it's a big enough price difference but just eyeballing it I'm guessing they are valuing it on a per car basis (what did the original owner pay, way back when that particular car was new), not what does it have as a value today if you compare vs new car prices and features.

I think that is the disparity. People wanting to upgrade want something to offset the higher cost of EAP and FSD on newer cars. Tesla seems to want to value it closer to the cost of when the car was new and isn't trying to get you to upgrade to a newer car by way of this valuation.

I like the lower price for the used car buyer (I might grab an older car with EAP or FSD at some point) but I can see how it'd be nice as an early adopter to get a slight discount.

• Helpful
Reactions: JusRelax

Elon Musk Says Mobileye Forced Tesla Vision "Across the Rubicon"

Feb. 23, 2017​
Corporate cat-fights are often full of nothing but disagreements, but on this both Mobileye and Tesla can agree: they parted ways over safety.​
“The original plan was to have a migration strategy where we have Mobileye and Tesla Vision operating at the same time, to have kind of a smooth process but But Mobileye refused to do that,” Musk said during an earnings call with investors on Wednesday. “So that forced us to re-spin the board and kind of cross the rubicon on Tesla Vision.”​

I do have FSD and use it 90% of the time. The issue I have is that Tesla does not show money where its mouth is. It is not an apreciating asset.

Of course FSD is an appreciating asset:
  1. Go to the used market
  2. Price out your Year/Spec car w/o FSD
  3. Find the price w. FSD and calculate the difference
  4. subtract that from what you paid for FSD at time of purchase
So, is your Model X worth more on the used market with FSD than you paid for FSD?

In the future, will FSD continue to become more valuable? Most certainly. Further, paired with a Model X (6 or 7 seater?) it is even more attractive to fleet buyers.

Does your car have free supercharging? Again, FSD multiplies the value of free life-time supercharging, for those who were smart enough to recognise its future value.

I wonder if it was Tesla or Panasonic that pushed for Giga NV. I doubt it was Panasonic.
There was a good article about this a few years ago that I wanted to link in the original post but couldn't find. Similar ideas listed in the links below.

Tesla had to convince Panasonic that they were a real company and that there was real demand for 35gWh of cells - an extraordinary number at the time. This was Elon's job. There was a guy called Kurt Kelty who had a good relationship with Panasonic; being a former employee, who too the lead in negotiations.

Elon Musk’s Tesla Gigafactory idea was crazy, Panasonic exec thought. And yet ...

Bradford flew to SF Bay area and drove to Lathrop factory. He just reported on Spaces watching 3 megapacks leave the facility in about a hour time frame.

I'm trying my best not to think this is a bullish trojan horse.

Some rough and hopefully conservative math:

- 3 Megapacks observed in an hour could mean production of 2 per hour. (If the first was observed at minute zero, the second at minute 30, and the third at minute 60)

- Assume one 8 hour shift = 16 megapacks per day.

- Assume 5 days per week = 80 megapacks per week.

- Assume 50 weeks per year = 4000 megapacks annually.

Current Lathrop run rate of 4000 megapacks per year, with easy growth by adding additional shifts?

Some rough and hopefully conservative math:

- 3 Megapacks observed in an hour could mean production of 2 per hour. (If the first was observed at minute zero, the second at minute 30, and the third at minute 60)

- Assume one 8 hour shift = 16 megapacks per day.

- Assume 5 days per week = 80 megapacks per week.

- Assume 50 weeks per year = 4000 megapacks annually.

Current Lathrop run rate of 4000 megapacks per year, with easy growth by adding additional shifts?
Huh? He wrote today:
”My guess right now based on 12 hours at Lathrop & local info…

$TSLA is currently making up to 5 Megapack XL at Lathrop a day. Yesterday they trucked out 5 while I was there.”

There was a good article about this a few years ago that I wanted to link in the original post but couldn't find. Similar ideas listed in the links below.

Tesla had to convince Panasonic that they were a real company and that there was real demand for 35gWh of cells - an extraordinary number at the time.

Panasonic's unwillingness to commit the required capital to expand 2170 production at Giga Nevada in 2017-18 which slowed the Model 3 production ramp | TMC - Artful Dodger (2022-01-14)

It's management. I worked in software dev for over a decade before moving into management, where I've now also been over a decade. Worked full time for several companies and corporations, and did consulting work for several others.

It's almost always a management problem. It's amazing to me that so many companies stay in business but then I realize their competition is full of the same management problems. When someone like Musk comes along, who can organize and run a very efficient company, his companies can eat any lunch they choose.

It's far more likely to meet engineers that "get it" than it is to find management that "gets it" and will efficiently move the company towards a vision. Most established companies pivot slower than a snail.

Except you can not really measure Tesla against any of the other carmakers from which tesla "eats any lunch".

If we can pause endless rehashing of the same old political conversations, here’s something else to ponder.

Tesla Energy’s opportunity is a direct function of the total addressable market for kWh of electricity. ...... Oil and gas are mostly used for burning, but our civilization’s sustainability is also threatened by our utter reliance on mined hydrocarbons for chemical production.

It doesn’t have to be this way much longer. Synthetic hydrocarbon production from CO2 capture and solar power can solve both of these problems and I believe the capital markets have not done the math on the gigantic amount of demand for electricity this will create once solar and battery power reach sufficiently low prices.

I even think that that last bullet point is probably right on. This industry at scale might use the majority of the world’s electricity in the future. Why is no one talking about this?
This stuff does get talked about a lot and has been for many many decades, though those conversations tend to be between oil & gas practitioners (or sci fi nerds, and there is an overlap) so understandably most folk here abouts have never participated. (Though I recognise from the monikers that have been hereabouts that over the years some of you have been participants). If you search through wherever archived copies are of TOD (The Oil Drum) you'll surely find some stuff, but even then it was a known path.

Yes indeed this will come in some way or other, but exactly how and when, and to what extent, and using which conversion pathways, and who will capture how much value (and who will get hit with big losses) is not clear.

Some not entirely random thoughts:

- Synthetic Liquid Fuels (SFL) are a big buzzword in O&G investments. The O&G markets have bet about 6x as much on SFLs as they have on hydrogen/ammonia, so that gives an insight. There are a variety of SFL pathways though, some less fundamentalist than the strip it all down to hydrogen and start again version. I put a link to an article on the Daily Energy News thread recently. That is the first-adopter market along this pathway, especially for aviation, and of great strategic significance and known value.

- If batteries do become too-cheap-to-meter then the resultant power is also too-cheap-to-meter and that in turn does away with a lot of the intermittency markets that SFL/hydrogen/ammonia are aimed at addressing. So that only leaves the chemicals & products volumes. If you look at a global Sankey diagram (or indeed observe with a thoughtful eye any large refinery & petrochem complex) you can see that the %mass O&G going into the chemicals/products markets is actually quite a small fraction. (Conversely if batteries don't get cheap, then SFLs remain expensive but valuable and needed. Irony).

- The value in that fraction is not as great as you might think. People ponder for a very long time before investing in a downstream basic products plant. These things can also be huge stranded asset liabilities.

- There are few (or no) defensible barriers. Once the economic conditions are right to make synthetic nitrogen fertilisers in one place, they are pretty much right everywhere. It remains to be seen if they are going to be viable in intermittent operation. If not the most optimal locations are either the most equatorial (as you've pointed out, for solar-battery coupling) or the ones that are best at the three-way optimisation of solar-wind-battery. (My hunch is the latter, running on a continuous basis).

- There are a lot of other substitutes out there that can be employed. No need to put liquids in PET bottles, just use glass. Especially if recyling loops are well closed and energy is cheap. Take a good look at wood and paper and the various product streams that come out of that, a really good look. Ditto fabrics. Once you've done all that looking there is (obviously, ish) a very large volume nitrogen-fertiliser market (i.e. a commodity ... which at low energy prics is a low margin commodity); and lots of very small volume/mass markets that are in climate-change terms practically irrelevant. (Plus SFL for aviation).

- Whether nitrogen fertilisers are the holy grail is debatable. The soil quality people have holy wars and crusades on that issue. Over to them. (Halving the world's human population over a 50+ year period would be a very good thing indeed for planet Earth).

- And all along the transfer path the current incumbents (ROPEC+) will happily keep pushing crack from their underground stockpile into the market, inevitably keeping margins low and boom'n'bust cycles bankrupting everyone trying to get a stable competitive alternative going. (One needs CBAM Carbon Borders to adddress that - so eventually the USA will do what the EU is doing). It may well be that ultimately the right thing is to never really transfer the last few % across from hydrocarbons on Earth, as it is better just to do some (genuine) carbon-sinking of an offset.

- Off-Earth, yes that is different.

Last edited:
This is potentially big news if true: Model Y may now be equipped with LFP batteries (unclear if this is a LR). If that's means an LFP LR, that could dramatically affect the profit margins at the base price of $52,990.

This interpretatin may be supported by existing Model Y pricing being in effect for March deliveries, when the Treasury Dept is expected to issue new rules on IRA eligibility due to sourcing of Chinese-made LFP packs.

Excerpt from tweet: "4860 LR is coming higher price LFP in Y now" (also retweeted by Bradford Ferguson)

Has anybody seen separate confirmation of this change? The COGS reduction for an LFP Model Y could be on the order of $3,500 per car, which is approx +7% to gross margin. :D

Last edited:
This is potentially big news if true: Model Y may now be equipped with LFP batteries (unclear if this is a LR). If that's means an LFP LR, that could dramatically affect the profit margins at the base price of $52,990.

This interpretatin may be supported by existing Model Y pricing being in effect for March deliveries, when the Treasury Dept is expected to issue new rules on IRA eligibility due to sourcing of Chinese-made LFP packs.

Excerpt from tweet: "4860 LR is coming higher price LFP in Y now" (also retweeted by Bradford Ferguson)

Has anybody seen separate confirmation of this change? The COGS reduction for an LFP Model Y could be on the order of $3,500 per car, which is approx +7% to gross margin. :D

Here in Europe the RWD Y is made in china, and has 60kwh LFP battery. LR does not.

LFP is probably too heavy for LR.

Here in Europe the RWD Y is made in china, and has 60kwh LFP battery. LR does not.

LFP is probably too heavy for LR.

Agreed, the 66 KWh LFP pack from CATL China would be unsuitable in an LR. I wonder what happened to the plans to secure a supply of BYD Blade packs. There were claims those have better energy density vs CATL packs, according to this review by Jordan Giesige:

Pack Analysis: BYD Blade vs CATL Qilin vs Tesla 4680 Structural | The Limiting Factor (Nov 30, 2022)

It'd be interesting to get separate confirmation of the existance of a N. American spec Model Y shipping w. LFP's. For sure, that product could continue being sold in Canada even if the March announcement from Treasury is unfavorable. It may even make the SUV inexpensive enough to qualify for the $5K Federal EV incentive (as the Model 3SR+ did as of Jan 13th).

Cheers!