Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They better take care of the older 150kW 6-8 charger spots, which there are plenty of. Tesla needs to quadruple those and make them faster as well. I am not looking forward to waiting in lane with Leaf, Kia or whatever else there is.

Those who supercharge often on trips should know what I am talking about.
They are only going to open select Supercharger sites. i.e. ones that have low utilization. Most likely only V3 sites.

Also, you won't be sharing chargers with a Leaf, as they can't use CCS, and Tesla isn't going to be supporting CHAdeMO. Now sharing with a Bolt will be bad, they charge so slow...

Just look at the data. Never mind any other brands, in aggregate Tesla chargers are lagging behind the Tesla fleet globally :

View attachment 907666

This is a tad myopic because you are focusing only on stalls per fleet size, but the most important metric, should be charge time per car. By moving to V2 and then V3, and more efficient cars with smaller pack sizes (i.e. 3/Y) you don't have to grow the supercharger network at the same pace because you make up for some of it with faster turnover per stall.

Our 2013 Model S P85s used to take about an hour to go from 10% to 80% state of charge.

Same jump in state of charge our 3 or Y is more like 30-35 minutes.

cnbs article out there about F150 lightening shut down due to battery fire
This one?

"Ford expects production of its electric F-150 Lightning pickup to be down through at least the end of next week to address a potential battery issue that resulted in a vehicle fire."

Sounds like it happened in the prep process.

Just out.

FACT SHEET: Biden-⁠Harris Administration Announces New Standards and Major Progress for a Made-in-America National Network of Electric Vehicle Chargers​

Includes:

Chargers are working when drivers need them to, by requiring a 97 percent uptime reliability requirement;

EA goes ooof!

97% uptime would mean they can only be down 263 hours a year (24 x 365 x 0.03), or less than an hour a day. I assume that means individual stalls must be at 97%. 97% uptime isn't that impressive, but considering that right now it seems they are at 97% downtime, it is a big improvement

Last edited:
97% uptime would mean they can only be down 263 hours a year (24 x 365 x 0.03), or less than an hour a day. I assume that means individual stalls must be at 97%. 97% uptime isn't that impressive, but considering that right now it seems they are at 97% downtime, it is a big improvement
See according to EA, the chargers are online. It says so on the screen and from the app. It's only offline once you plug it in, so if you don't plug it in, it'll be online.

This one?

"Ford expects production of its electric F-150 Lightning pickup to be down through at least the end of next week to address a potential battery issue that resulted in a vehicle fire."

I haven't seen mention of this for a while, but it might be GM's and Ford's choice to go with pouch cells that does them in. BMW has been smart enough to plan a switch to cylindrical cells, and GM is evaluating options per Mary, but their first cell factory has been built and #2 and #3 are under construction. GM and Ford have lots of challenges, but it won't take many fires for this one to stop them in their tracks. IMO.

O
This one?

From the article:
“said Ford is less profitable than its legacy peers because it has a cost disadvantage of between $7 billion and $8 billion.

“We can cut the cost, we can cut people, we can do that really quickly and we’ll do whatever we need to,” Farley said during a Wolfe Research conference. “The reality is if you don’t change the efficiency of engineering, supply chain and manufacturing, the basic work statement, the way people work, the efficiency of that it’ll grow back

Farley later added, “This is really about redesigning what we do in the 120-year-old part of the company.” “

I am guessing that the disadvantage and cost structure is based on subsidizing union benefits. That’s probably what the article means by it will grow back even when they get the battery factory working with QA and improved efficiency.

Details might change due to federal funding requirements, but here's a Rivian charging at a Tesla charger at a Supercharger site in Winston-Salem, North Carolina (USA) -

It's using the Tesla app as you would in Europe/Australia (I believe). I'm not sure if QR codes are used in Europe, I thought it was a number/identifier that had to be entered/selected.

8 month old UK video of BMW on Supercharger -

Oh, USA one is AC, not DC, a whole 11kW

In regards for how the whole billing and stuff would take place, my bet is on the QR code for each stall.

Remember when Elon said "Copy WeChat"? And Twitter has recently filed application to become a payment processor?

For those unfamiliar with the whole WeChat/AliPay that pretty much accounts for 99.9% of daily transactions now in China if I were there, the merchant would have a QR code that you scan or sometimes you'd open your app to pay, it generates a QR code for them to scan, and you submit the payment. Everything is integrated on the backend to handle everything. In fact, when you get paid (say from F&F or just selling something) in WeChat/AliPay, the money don't actually go into your bank account or whatever. It just sits there like PayPal balance.

So, this is one of the ways, that I think from a 4D chess that Elon is playing's perspective it's going to go down.

Tesla payment will also grow from there. I believe the day that you need to pull out your card/phone to pay at a drive-through will be behind us very soon. The car itself will handle everything.