Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fascinating and educational Optimus design discussion on Twitter with @ZeApelido ‘s friend Joe and some other robotics engineers. I recommend listening when the recording is available.

However, Joe lives on the Peninsula which is also known as San Mateo County which, as I have recently come to understand, is a place for dweebs because all the cool kids are in Santa Clara. He also skips leg day. Now we really can’t trust anything he says anymore (biomechanics PhD notwithstanding).

“Toes are underrated…I don’t have a toe fetish, I think. But they’re great.”

Exciting!

Scintillating:

VinFast electric SUV catches fire in showroom in Germany

Cologne Rudolfplatz (March 20, 2023)

vinfast-fire.jpg

I would like to see Tesla generating a 360 degree view like Audi, Kia and even a Nissan Leaf does.
All camera's are there I suppose.

They really aren't though.

The existing cameras have significant close-to-the-car blind spots (especially anything in front of the fender cams or below the hoodline in front)

The cars that do 360 birds eye video views have low-mounted fisheye lenses, which Teslas do not... Teslas cameras are designed for driving, with higher mounting and entirely different lens types.

They're doing the new no-USS distance lines by having the car "see" stuff before it gets close to it, then remembering how far away those things are. That is relatively cheap/easy from a compute perspective since the occupancy network is ALREADY doing that with each frame and this just requires some memory to leverage that.

Turning that data into a simulated photo-realistic real-time view to simulate the overhead parking view cars with parking cams have would be vastly more complex and costly from a compute/HW perspective because the cameras never saw those spots from those angles- so you'd have to essentially be running real-time photo-real simulation.... and mostly ending up giving the driver the same info from a usefulness perspective.

Just stumbled across this tidbit which was news to me and might be news to some of you. The port of Stockton, 19mins from Lathrop is deep water. Megapacks can be exported. Cells shipped in.
Totally not intuitive (to this Aussie) that after driving inland for an hour from Fremont you can be sitting on a sea port. Pretty cool.

View attachment 921140
That's why it's like living in a swamp in the summer there.

Looks like I guessed wrong on the timing. We still don't know which way this is going, although it's looking a lot more like we'll have to wait for 11.3.3. There's been no significant activity at TeslaFi on 11.3.2; just a slow trickle of installations on vehicles where it was already pending (45 installed today, with 122 still pending).

If you want to see what a wide release actually looks like, check out 2023.6.8 on TeslaFi. It went wide late yesterday and there were over 1700 installs so far today with another 2500+ pending. The latest and bestest. Another guess -- when we see 11.3.3 it will be based on this version rather than the current 2022.45.
That was from Tuesday.

So here we go with 11.3.3. It's just starting to show up as a download on TeslaFi. This is after 11.3.2 got no more pending installations and just slowly petered out over the past three days getting close to 10% of the FSD Beta population. Never turned into a wide release.

Maybe we'll do better with 11.3.3, although it's just 2022.45.12, a bug fix change to 11.3.2 not even deserving of anything new in the release notes (at least not that I've seen posted anywhere yet). My guess is that this one will finally be the one to go to wide release, but we likely won't know for sure until Monday.

So far Elon is 0 for 10 in his predictions about the single stack V11 over the past year and a half. "Two weeks".🤣🤣🤣

I have not seen this posted yet or if it did then it got much less attention than deserved.

Earlier this week, it was reported that the Boring Company had quietly filed a request to the government to double the size of the Vegas Loop plan to 65 miles and 69 stations. Just look at the size of this beauty:

1679722899370.png

1679722929409.png

The story appears to have been originally broken by TechCrunch.
If successful, a Loop station would be located within a few blocks of almost anywhere in central Las Vegas.

Considering that Boring Co have barely completed any of the initial 29-mile plan (the completed segments are the yellow ones on the map), this news suggests that either they are getting way, way far ahead of themselves with wildly out-of-control ambition, or it means they expect an extreme increase in the construction rate in the next few years.

65 miles of tunnels is a staggeringly large amount. They are not playing around anymore. This plan would make the Vegas Loop the sixth-largest public mass transit system in North America as measured by length and the seventh-largest by station count, even though Las Vegas is merely the 43rd-largest metro area on the continent in terms of population.

For comparison, the New York City subway system has 145 miles of tunnels, yet the greater NYC metro area has 11x the population of the greater Las Vegas area. So if this plays out as planned, soon Vegas, a mid-sized city about the size of Cincinnati or Brussels, will have 25x more miles of underground public mass transit infrastructure per capita than NYC. Bet you didn’t see that coming.

Also, it's not just about Vegas. It's about the pace of construction and what we can extrapolate based on it. If they can build 65 miles in Vegas in X years, how many years will it take to build similar systems in N other cities? If this works and can be built in a matter of a few years as this move apparently indicates, then the United States might come back from being the laughingstock of the urban transportation planning world to become the global leader within a couple of decades. I bet you didn't see that coming either.

1679724734956.png

As always, this matters to Tesla for several reasons, most importantly that the Loop is ultimately meant to be robotaxi expressway racetrack. If you believe Tesla can achieve Level 4 autonomous driving then one of the key questions is how fast Boring Co can build Loops to serve the Tesla Network fleets. Remember, in March 2022 Elon stated that for Tesla Master Plan Part 3 “Main Tesla subjects will be scaling to extreme size, which is needed to shift humanity away from fossil fuels, and AI. But I will also Include sections about SpaceX, Tesla and The Boring Company.” Conspicuously absent from Investor Day was any of this promised inclusion of SpaceX and Boring, so I’m still waiting for more info. Maybe it will come in the Master Plan white paper. Regardless, it’s clear Elon has in mind some kind of Tesla-Boring integration that's deeper than what has been publicly disclosed.

It’s also important for marketing and product exposure because Vegas is by far the #1 tourist city in the Western Hemisphere with over 40 million visitors per year, although most of them are Americans traveling domestically rather than international tourists. This is like the marketing equivalent of half the NYC subway trains instead being Model Ys. That's kind of a big deal. Butts in seats lead to Tesla sales. The little initial Loop has already given over 1 million rides; the 65-mile system might do around a million rides per day if the full-sized Vegas Loop gets similar ridership numbers as comparably sized systems like Atlanta's MARTA. This would work out to an average of 1000000/65/2 = 8k passengers per day per mile of track (remember, there's two lanes in each mile, one for each direction) or about 500 riders per hour across a 16-hour peak usage window each day. The Vegas metro area plus its visitors usually totals around 3 million people so if one out of six people uses the system for an average of two rides per day (round trip commutes mainly) then 1 million rides is a plausible estiamte. So many butts in seats.

Last edited:
While the original battery on the roadsters are still going strong after all these years, the aftermarket upgrade battery Tesla sold may be slowing failing in at least two instances. No report on impact to other models in this article except a mention that some old model S may be using that same type of battery. Most likely this is unimportant.

This would work out to an average of 1000000/65/2 = 8k passengers per day per mile of track (remember, there's two lanes in each mile, one for each direction) or about 500 riders per hour across a 16-hour peak usage window each day. The Vegas metro area plus its visitors usually totals around 3 million people so if one out of six people uses the system for an average of two rides per day (round trip commutes mainly) then 1 million rides is a plausible estiamte. So many butts in seats.
Correction: original failed to account for average miles per trip. If it's maybe 5 miles per trip on average and 1M rides/day, then it's 5 mi/ride * 1M rides/day / (65*2) mi / 16 hrs/day peak window = 2.4k passengers per hour per lane on average. Still a reasonable number that could be hit. No matter how you want to run this estimate, it's a whole lot of people riding Teslas.

That would be foolish considering the initial demand and production constraint of the Cybertruck. A conventional truck would pull resources away from Cybertruck production while at the same time delivering inferior specifications. The traditional 3 box truck design is less efficient than the Cybertruck shape and it's also much more difficult to build in stainless steel. So if you want a less durable vehicle with less range you can buy a conventional looking truck elsewhere for now.
Well firstly I never said anything about timing of production or what it would be made out of. Sure the cybertruck will have less of a drag coefficient, but will sacrifice some practicality for that ( if you have a pick up odds are I have tossed many a thing over the side). Practicality of stainless steel..,ie how hot it might get in sun, verdict is out.

Do you know what is established? 2 million conventional 3 box design pick up truck sales per year in US. If Tesla did that design, it would have been a slam dunk and quicker to market. Could cybertruck generate crazy demand. No one knows for sure.

I’m feeling increasing confident Tesla will rise sharply to perhaps 220 then crash to 140 then rise to over 300 before the end of this year, based on a feeling that could be the most profitable game strategy hedge funds and short sellers can profit using their enormous pile of cash and their algorithm trading computers and stock trading army.

Their goal would not just to hit individual investors stop loss targets, but to wipe out gamblers buying on margins on that first drop then drop even further to completely bankrupt them.

This could be their last chance because the government will do more QE once the recession hit, and because soon we will see conservative pension funds and other institutional investors start to invest in Tesla shares, some of which may have rules to only allow investment in blue chip stocks and investment grade bonds (I googled a bit but could not find a single example).

Now that Tesla received that status from both S&P Global as well as Moodys, in a few weeks they should start buying at least some shares. This does not give the hedge funds much time to execute their strategy, if my guess is right.

Dangerous time ahead is how I am feeling.

I’m feeling increasing confident Tesla will rise sharply to perhaps 220 then crash to 140 then rise to over 300 before the end of this year, based on a feeling that could be the most profitable game strategy hedge funds and short sellers can profit using their enormous pile of cash and their algorithm trading computers and stock trading army.

Their goal would not just to hit individual investors stop loss targets, but to wipe out gamblers buying on margins on that first drop then drop even further to completely bankrupt them.

This could be their last chance because the government will do more QE once the recession hit, and because soon we will see conservative pension funds and other institutional investors start to invest in Tesla shares, some of which may have rules to only allow investment in blue chip stocks and investment grade bonds (I googled a bit but could not find a single example).

Now that Tesla received that status from both S&P Global as well as Moodys, in a few weeks they should start buying at least some shares. This does not give the hedge funds much time to execute their strategy, if my guess is right.

Dangerous time ahead is how I am feeling.

Sounds imo like a plausible scenario.
However, I've considered a lot of plausible scenarios in the past.
Lost count how many times I was wrong. :oops:

That was from Tuesday.

So here we go with 11.3.3. It's just starting to show up as a download on TeslaFi. This is after 11.3.2 got no more pending installations and just slowly petered out over the past three days getting close to 10% of the FSD Beta population. Never turned into a wide release.

Maybe we'll do better with 11.3.3, although it's just 2022.45.12, a bug fix change to 11.3.2 not even deserving of anything new in the release notes (at least not that I've seen posted anywhere yet). My guess is that this one will finally be the one to go to wide release, but we likely won't know for sure until Monday.

So far Elon is 0 for 10 in his predictions about the single stack V11 over the past year and a half. "Two weeks".🤣🤣🤣
This is how they do the major wide releases on major updates. I remember 10.69 was this painfully slow and I didn't get it until two revisions later.

• Helpful
Reactions: oldTAVguy