Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is how you say "We are going nuclear" without saying "We are going f'n nuclear!"
Tesla said they were going nuclear when they added 1M Y’s / year capacity at Berlin and Austin. The price cuts are unfortunately necessary to drive sufficient demand for that to occur.

But any competitive automakers SHOULD have Realized those additional 1M sales were in part coming from their slice whether price cuts would be needed or not.

Last edited:

News article in Dutch (paywalled) about a huge new battery storage project, that will be the biggest in Europe.

TL;DR in English:
In the town of Delfzijl in the north of The Netherlands the biggest battery park of Europe will be put in place.
The location will be an aluminum factory that has gone bankrupt.
On an area of 15 soccer fields a total capacity of 1 GWh will be installed.
The great effect of this is that in three northern provinces Groningen, Friesland and Drente (1.75 million people) more sun- and wind energy can be put into use.
Do you know who manufactures their batteries? Found that neither in the article nor on their web site...

CATL just announced that their new Sodium ion batteries will first go into Chevy EV's. Announcement here:

I'm curious as to why not Tesla?

Possible reasons (complete speculation): 1. Chevy willing to pay premium for the initial contract. 2) Doesn't meet Tesla's various specifications it desires in batteries 3) Tesla doesn't want to change to change too many things at once as they attempt to ramp 4680s.

If there is a right turn coming up it moves to the left lane, if there is a left turn coming up it moves to the right lane, and that is reproduceable 100 percent of the time on a given route.
Is that a turn onMakes NHTSA happy though.
CATL just announced that their new Sodium ion batteries will first go into Chevy EV's. Announcement here:

Possible reasons (complete speculation): 1. Chevy willing to pay premium for the initial contract. 2) Doesn't meet Tesla's various specifications it desires in batteries 3) Tesla doesn't want to change to change too many things at once as they attempt to ramp 4680s.
4) Tesla already has cell supply plan in place.

Reactions: wipster
Threads of the day:
SpaceX Starship - Orbital Test Flight - Starbase TX
Papafox's Daily TSLA Trading Charts Papafox updates us all daily and will be explaining the $185.00 close on Friday shortly. Let's see if he can do so without mentioning MMs, capping, mole (that's the dude on the right), options or max pain. Pls don't post there.
FANTASTIC-MR-FOX-MOVIE.jpg

I like that they said it wouldn’t have been a problem in a Tesla.
The experience with charging that Toyota vs what it is in a Tesla is the type of awareness that I think is sadly uncommon. Having a Tesla with access to the Supercharger network vs ALL OTHER EVs is such a differentiator that is so poorly understood....that education is what I wish was more commonly known.

Last edited:
The experience with charging that Toyota vs what it is in a Tesla is the type of awareness that I think is sadly common. Having a Tesla with access to the Supercharger network vs ALL OTHER EVs is such a differentiator that is so poorly understood....that education is what I wish was more commonly known.
Yeah, they should really introduce the battery swap idea like the market leaders before it is too late...

Credibility is high for historical/current statements when considering A) the actual words spoken / written and B) the given context / timeframe. The challenge is that most people hear something different than what was actually said, and then extend what they think they heard to other contexts / timeframes.

Example - Q4 2022 call r.e. orders (Tesla (TSLA) Q4 2022 Earnings Call Transcript | The Motley Fool)
Elon Musk -- Chief Executive Officer and Product Architect
"<...>
Thus far -- so I want to put that concern to rest. Thus far in January, we've seen the strongest orders year-to-date than ever in our history. We currently are seeing orders at almost twice the rate of production. So I mean, that -- it's hard to say whether that will continue twice the rate of production, but the orders are high.
<...>"
It seems highly likely that the January 2023 price cuts greatly increased orders in the days / weeks immediately following them (larger short-term increase and smaller long-term increase, but both significant increases), and that as of January 26th Tesla was "currently...seeing orders at almost twice the rate of production." Especially given the disclaimer which immediately followed, the actual words used in the given context should have high credibility. Unfortunately, most heard what they wanted to hear, somehow seemed to go deaf before the immediately-following-and-very-reasonable disclaimer is said, and then become quite disappointed when production and delivery numbers in early April do not meet their own 'irrationally exuberant' expectations.

Credibility for forward-looking statements is more challenging to examine, as retroactively so many different lenses can be applied whether one wants to see the statement as credible vs non-credible (what a 'wide' release of FSD means, how to interpret 50% growth, etc). Very, very unlikely any of his forward-looking statements are made that he doesn't believe could happen, but there is certainly room for one to consider the likelihood of whether it will happen within any given timeframe / context, and most especially for credibility, "Is it reasonable to think that Mr. Musk, with the data he likely has available to him, rationally expects this aspirational thing to actually happen in a given context?"
I was talking about Elon's credibility in his tweets, not elsewhere. I'm happy to believe the Elon who appears on earnings calls, at shareholder meetings, and in interviews where he is representing Tesla, SpaceX, or one of his other companies. I certainly believe the Elon who provides testimony in court under oath.

Further discussion re tweets is continued over on that other thread here.

Do you know who manufactures their batteries? Found that neither in the article nor on their web site...

Name of the company that will develop the site is Giga Storage.
In another project they used batteries by Wartsila, but for this project it is not clear if they will use the same brand.
Hopefully Tesla?

That's not Chevy, that's Chery. I'm only familiar with Chery as an engine manufacturer from China.

I was talking about Elon's credibility in his tweets, not elsewhere. I'm happy to believe the Elon who appears on earnings calls, at shareholder meetings, and in interviews where he is representing Tesla, SpaceX, or one of his other companies. I certainly believe the Elon who provides testimony in court under oath.

Further discussion re tweets is continued over on that other thread here.
please. Your panties are in a wad because you recently discovered to your dismay that Musk was not a left wing extremist but a classical liberal. Keep your whining on that other execrable thread.

A company on China was the test client , it was announced weeks ago.

CATL sodium batteries plus the innovative cooling battery package in their other battery products is a direct threat to teslas heretofore dominance in battery capabilities.

• Funny
Reactions: Tommy O
A company on China was the test client , it was announced weeks ago.

CATL sodium batteries plus the innovative cooling battery package in their other battery products is a direct threat to teslas heretofore dominance in battery capabilities.
Baglino spoke about sodium ion batteries last year at Stanford. Jeff Dahn also urged looking to new chemistries (specifically sodium ion) in a recent talk. Tesla buys tons of batteries from CATL. Sodium ion batteries are best suited for stationary storage.

What the HECK are you talking about?

For the ones surfing on the Sodium Ion hype wave, I recommend watching this

It won't displace LFP anytime soon or even maybe in a decade, everyone working on it always say it's close to gravimetric energy density to LFP, but conveniently they never tell that on volumetric energy density is quite well behind even on best cases

Weigh is not the only problem, doesn't matter if it has good Wh/kg if you can't fit enough due to poor Wh/L, volume is also a big constrain on EVs, depending on vehicle class it's even more important than gravimetric energy density

The experience with charging that Toyota vs what it is in a Tesla is the type of awareness that I think is sadly uncommon. Having a Tesla with access to the Supercharger network vs ALL OTHER EVs is such a differentiator that is so poorly understood....that education is what I wish was more commonly known.
But this may be a good thing for conversion rate from gas to EV. The die hard can't do tesla influenced people can still buy an EV, eventually use supercharger network with tesla app and compare notes with other drivers, eventually may purchase a tesla from the app. In the meantime gives legacy car a reason to switch to BEV and try harder