Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am envisioning a cycle where my questionable unit is sent to Tesla. They put it in a harness, pinpoint one or more bad or degrading cells, replace those with carefully matched cells, then send it to the next guy as his RMA refurbished unit.
Unlikely, they aren't going to spend time combing through used cells to find matching cells. wk057 says it's basically impossible to find close enough matched cells that won't quickly get out of whack with the rest of the pack. They scrap the cells/modules, send them off to JB, and install new ones.

Unlikely, they aren't going to spend time combing through used cells to find matching cells. wk057 says it's basically impossible to find close enough matched cells that won't quickly get out of whack with the rest of the pack. They scrap the cells/modules, send them off to JB, and install new ones.
You know, based on what we saw in the Munro structural pack tear down, I don't think anybody is going to be reconditioning these packs going forward. They will be ground up into a molecule soup, and separated out into their constituent minerals.
There is no economic way to repair these packs once they are foamed and sealed.

In my opinion it would just turn people off FSD. The latest version is a complete train wreck. We can’t even use basic TACC anymore as every suggested curve speed is read as a speed limit so wether it’s a 80 kmh, 60 kmh or 40 kmh curve that’s the new speed the cruise or FSD sets at. Plus every right turn lane onn the highway or in the city is considered the right lane and it darts into it…and then out of it. It’s going backwards fast now.
I’m new to this as I subscribed a couple weeks ago for the first time when they opened up “beta for all”. I suspect from your description that the beta must perform better here where I drive.

I’m certainly not a permanent subscriber at this price/capability…but it’s definitely on my radar and I will be subscribing periodically to check progress; a high margin revenue driver.

In my opinion it would just turn people off FSD. The latest version is a complete train wreck. We can’t even use basic TACC anymore as every suggested curve speed is read as a speed limit so wether it’s a 80 kmh, 60 kmh or 40 kmh curve that’s the new speed the cruise or FSD sets at. Plus every right turn lane onn the highway or in the city is considered the right lane and it darts into it…and then out of it. It’s going backwards fast now.
Based on my own personal experience in my 2022 Plaid X, there’s enough truth to this that I think they should wait a while for this offer; FSD Beta should have to be requested on owner’s initiative for a while longer, not offered as a perk to the average buyer.

You know, based on what we saw in the Munro structural pack tear down, I don't think anybody is going to be reconditioning these packs going forward. They will be ground up into a molecule soup, and separated out into their constituent minerals.

3/Y, correct. S/X, still use a modular system and companies like Gruber Motors make their living repairing these packs.

I’m new to this as I subscribed a couple weeks ago for the first time when they opened up “beta for all”. I suspect from your description that the beta must perform better here where I drive.

I’m certainly not a permanent subscriber at this price/capability…but it’s definitely on my radar and I will be subscribing periodically to check progress; a high margin revenue driver.
I guess there is hope for Canada in the long run

Track Pack sold out in hours. Dang, that was quick. I wonder how many of these were available? At 15k-20k a pop, It's gotta be huge margin on these, right?

I know I know, volume is tiny so won't make a noticeable difference for quarterly earnings.

Pretty sure tesla or musk at one point said outright that they have a solvent specifically to make repurposing/recycling those easy.

Reactions: unk45
Apologies if posted before - uploaded just 5 hours ago. Jim Farley & Bobby Llewellyn (Fully Charged). Haven't watched it yet, but hoping for some Tesla-Ford/software tidbits, comments suggest some digs at Tesla being a commodity, emphasis on home energy backup & plenty of digs at other manufacturers.

On the podcast today is first-time guest and Ford CEO, Jim Farley. Prior to joining Ford in 2007, Farley was Group Vice President and General Manager of Lexus, and the Group Vice President responsible for all Toyota Division market planning, advertising and merchandising

Under Farley’s leadership, Ford has boosted investment in electric vehicles to more than $50 billion and has set ambitious targets for scaling their production to 600,000 EVs a year by the end of 2023 and more than 2 million by the end of 2026. Recorded over Zoom at the FC North show in Harrogate, Robert and Jim pull the curtain back and talk EV software, electric transits, the F-150, battery plants, and the Prius.

Edit: Farley's granddad worked as an hourly worker at Ford, but before that he worked for Detroit's largest carmaker at the time - Detroit ELECTRIC, which had a model of depot charging customers' cars every night. I think this might show why Farley is more EV/charging focused than others, hence Tesla linkup on Superchargers. Detroit Electric - Wikipedia owned by both Henry Ford and his wife.

Last edited:
Farley is so honest. Seems pretty clear they need Tesla software. And if Ford do, I can only imagine they (legacy auto) all do.

They can’t just choose Tesla software (assuming that is even offered by Tesla). They need to go to each department and ask them to specify a door etc. that interacts with a changing Tesla software. Which door supplier would you go to for that?

Farley is so honest. Seems pretty clear they need Tesla software. And if Ford do, I can only imagine they (legacy auto) all do.

Yep he is completely honest and dedicated to moving ford in a way that the other OEMs only give lip service to at best. I find that refreshing. I puke when I hear Mary, GM is is a pr machine . Hyundai is the only other oem that seems to get it.

I just finished this interview, it's really very good. I like Farley a lot, seems brutally honest and straightforward even about the bad stuff.
Not just him but if you watched Munro do the Mach e tear downs ford had the managers there on camera for some uncomfortable truths. Ford said give us an honest appraisal and let the world know what you think. Fing balls