Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just making a point at this juncture to um, point out what is classically, stereotypically, and clichély known as *the domino effect* or *the house of cards effect*.

Please keep this in mind when Tesla accidentally on purpose puts the first OEM to death. Followed by that OEMs chain of dealerships. Followed by the first gas station chain. Etc., etc.

... so, catmageddon? ;)

2bblCat.jpg

Cheers!

I think almost all of the major charging equipment vendors have made announcements:
  • ABB
  • AmpUp
  • Autel
  • Blink
  • ChargePoint
  • EverCharge
  • EVgo
  • EVPassport
  • FLO
  • FreeWire
  • i-charging
  • Kempower
  • Tritum
  • Wallbox
  • XCharge
Who I don't see having announced NACS support yet:
  • SK Signet
  • BTC
  • Delta
SK Signet and BTC are currently the main suppliers for Electrify America.
Because they’re really trying to decide how to get out of the pickle before looking like bigger fools.

i so desperately want to add to my TSLL position but i am so reluctant to do so after 12 straight days of up price
as best as i can tell, this has never happened before-longest streak was 11 days straight. i have seen crazier streaks in stocks like NVDA before so i am not betting against 13 + straight up days but overwhelming probability is to downside tomorrow. in any case, i have nothing to lose by waiting. if TSLA keeps on going straight up another day or two, i make even more profits. if it drops then i will buy more TSLL
we are in an uncharted territory here. all i can say with any degree of confidence is $400+ will likely happen within a month or two tops
as to what happens tomorrow : zero idea
i am so glad that i reversed course last week and went all in TSLL
all the leveraged ETFs like NVDL,TSLL, TQQQ, SOXL, FNGU, TNA etc are doing phenomenal for now. it is 2009 all over gain for others and 2019 or 2013 or i daresay, 2023 for TSLA
too late to buy, too early to sell
not trading or investing advice. Leveraged ETFs are not for faint of heart or the inexperienced-one wrong move and they will wipe out your portfolio forever

Last edited:
My read - they want to get their grubby hands on it and become the governing body for it. They are completely threatened that Tesla has made CharIN 100% obsolete.
Exactly. That is how I read it. They are now desperately saying, "look.. look.. some of the underlying protocols came out of CCS effort", implying NACS wouldn't be here today without this governing body.

Article:

"Tesla owners will hate waiting in charging lines behind Ford and GM cars, analyst says"​

Interesting quotes:

"So nothing is going to irritate a Tesla owner more than lining up behind a bunch of vehicles from Ford and General Motors,"

"I mean, imagine a big Hummer. It's going to take a charger for an hour in front of you while you've got to go and do your errands and get your groceries. It's not going to be something where people are going to say, 'Oh great, that car has General Motors badge on it. But the charger says Tesla. I paid for that. What's up with that?'"

I think it's important for us to acknowledge that many Tesla owners bought their EVs for reasons other than the mission. If they find themselves in a line behind other manufacturers, they are going to be upset by what Tesla has done here. I don't want Tesla to mistreat owners who didn't buy their Tesla purely for the mission, rather for reasons such as TCO or the excellent Supercharger network.

I struggled to find an exact figure, but my google-fu leads me to believe that there are currently about 2M BEVs in the US. Tesla is probably ~80% of those. For Q3 2023, in the US, Tesla produced ~160K, GM ~20K, Ford ~10K. So, neither the current number, nor the current rate of GM/Ford production puts the utilization factor of the SC network seriously at risk....but Tesla has to stay ahead of the issue. Not only does Tesla need to continue to expand the SC network to keep up with their own significant production rates, but now Ford, GMs, and anyone else's that they give SC access to. I hope that is the plan, to increase SC expansion 25%+ beyond their pre-agreement expansion numbers. I also hope all this build out isn't entirely funded by Tesla alone.

i so desperately want to add to my TSLL position but i am so reluctant to do so after 12 straight days of up price
as best as i can tell, this has never happened before-longest streak was 11 days straight. i have seen crazier streaks in stocks like NVDA before so i am not betting against 13 + straight up days but overwhelming probability is to downside tomorrow. in any case, i have nothing to lose by waiting. if TSLA keeps on going straight up another day or two, i make even more profits. if it drops then i will buy more TSLL
not trading or investing advice
Time to pull the parachute and convert back to TSLA stock and HODL?

I had a similar discussion with a nurse this morning who said Tesla's are a bad purchase because the replacement batteries cost $8,000! When I told her that you would never need to replace the battery, there is a 100,000 mile warranty on them, and there are many 2012 and later Tesla's that have experienced minimal battery degradation, she angrily said "Well that's not what I read!"

I hope that any advertising Tesla eventually does deals mostly with dispelling all the false and misleading information about Tesla's and all BEV's in a objective and provable manner. Once people get past the misconceptions and after a test drive, Tesla's will sell themselves.

Even with relatively close acquaintances and co-workers, I struggle with the best way to try to fix misinformation.

I think I've sortof settled on only trying to correct one fact at a time, and only with one statement of fact, and without any force or further explanation.

The way you described your story sounds a lot like my natural (but often unsuccessful) response: several facts I know in an attempt to prove the point irrefutably -- like the way you listed: "Never need to replace the battery...100,000 mile warranty...many running just fine since 2012." I've sortof found that adding more sentences and explanations seems to shut a lot of people down so they ignore my words, or it just gives them more to object to, or triggers them to think I'm one of those misguided Tesla/Elon fans they've heard about.

For this nurse you spoke to, I might have just gone with: "the warranty on the battery and drivetrain is 100,000-125,000 miles depending on the car" and leave it at that. If the person continues the conversation, I'd still engage but keep my responses similarly simple.
- For example, a lot of people might come back with: "So the battery only lasts 100,000 miles? An engine lasts way longer than that!" I'd respond with: "Warranty isn't an estimate of lifetime...most engine warranties are only 50-100,000 miles" and let them fill in the blanks on what that means.
- A lot of people will jump to another argument, like "well, those cars are very expensive to start!" at which point I'd reply with agreement: "you're right...new cars are almost never the best decision purely financially. Most advisors recommend getting a used car for $5-10,000 and learning to do most of the maintenance yourself." Again, leave them to fill in the blanks based on how this compares to their own decisions and lifestyle, wherever they fall on that spectrum.
- If somebody further presses the price issue, I'd shift toward neutrality: "everybody values different things in their cars. I'm not going to stop anybody from getting what works best for them. Tesla fit the check boxes I cared about most." That might end the conversation, especially if they were just looking for an argument...or maybe they'd be curious, and then I could finally stop restraining myself and get into all the facts I've been itching to list :). And of course that list is long, and covers both general/broadly true facts, and bits specific to me and my family.

None of the life cycle comparisons that I have seen between BEV and ICE take into account the transportation of petrol to their retail pumping stations for use. In Philadelphia, the collapsed section of I-95 due to tanker fire is just the latest example of what can go wrong transporting petrol. If only there was a better way. Oh, wait...

This.

One of my talking points to sceptics is that nobody on a two lane highway is stuck behind some truck hauling my car’s fuel…mine is delivered remotely by the existing electric grid.

"I mean, imagine a big Hummer."

Yes indeed, you will have to imagine that Hummer, since GM only made 2 of them last quarter, then promptly recalled both for a battery manufacturing fault.

Wait.. didn't Jim Chanos tell us the 'big boys' were coming so we should get out while we can? Where's Dumbo Jimbo now? :D

hqdefault.jpg

Cheers to the Longs!

THe idea that Volkswagen, the company behind dieselgate, proven liars and fraudsters, are somehow to be given the benefit of the doubt regarding absolutely anything at all, but tesla should not be trusted is.... pretty clear evidence that those posters are in a cult of denial.
So people can see with their own yes

I lost the few IQ points I had on this thread

Drew himself saying they are doing anode is cathode DBE on Texas isn't a reliable source, at least now they accepet that at least DBE on the cathode is happening already

Regarding the SC network: we're the low cost producer of the superior product with the best network. The only missing piece was some of our future customers not having easy access. How does this not end in us being a near monopoly? Imagine being the CEO of one of our competitors looking for new capital. Would you want to invest in it?
Long missing but now fresh out of the TSLAQ sewer Anton Wahlman says Tesla has surrendered key advantage. We're doomed.

Linked for laughs:

I had a similar discussion with a nurse this morning who said Tesla's are a bad purchase because the replacement batteries cost $8,000! When I told her that you would never need to replace the battery, there is a 100,000 mile warranty on them, and there are many 2012 and later Tesla's that have experienced minimal battery degradation, she angrily said "Well that's not what I read!"

I hope that any advertising Tesla eventually does deals mostly with dispelling all the false and misleading information about Tesla's and all BEV's in an objective and provable manner. Once people get past the misconceptions and after a test drive, Tesla's will sell themselves.
I agree that any advertising should aim to dispel all the misinformation that has become deeply ingrained due to constant repetition of the MSM.

I belong to an online group of women over a certain age who travel solo. Conversations sometimes turn to car rentals and specifically Tesla rentals at Hertz.

I see the same comments over and over as to why no one should ever rent or buy a Tesla: 1) 3 hour charging 2) people don’t know where to look or how to find a supercharger 3) cars blow up/ catch on fire

Same comments over and over. There are some who try to correct these misconceptions, myself among them. But we often get the laughing emoji or even told that we are full of BS.

These women are not idiots. They are often accomplished and well heeled enough to travel the globe. But this is what happens when you just read headlines and don’t do a deep dive into a subject. In my view the many years of repetitive negative headlines has made a real impression on the unsuspecting consumer.