Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is yet another Cybertruck wrap...

...They must be relatively easy to design and apply...
Could hardly be easier to apply than on flat surfaces.

In fact, for $10,000, I'm gonna get mine wrapped in stainless seel colored wrap that exactly matches the truck itself, just because I can!!

...or maybe wrap it like the Brady Bunch bus...

Last edited:
Vinyl-jet Printer.

Think those robotic spray head arms in a paint booth, but with a large ink-jet style head that sprays liquid vinyl-like coating, instead of a paint gun.

Load the vehicle 3D model in to the control system, select your pattern, and hit "Go". You could even allow the customer to bring their own picture files.

You know what? I might need to patent that.
There you go. Tesla must have a cheap and easy way to do this.

And what if the Gen 3 vehicle could also offer this type of factory customization?

Vinyl-jet Printer.

Think those robotic spray head arms in a paint booth, but with a large ink-jet style head that sprays liquid vinyl-like coating, instead of a paint gun.

Load the vehicle 3D model in to the control system, select your pattern, and hit "Go". You could even allow the customer to bring their own picture files.

You know what? I might need to patent that.
In these days of additive 3-D printing, why not effectively "paint" stainless steel over a reuseable mold to make exterior panels quickly and cheap; you could easily vary material thickness to minimize weight and maximize strength.

Reactions: gillfoto
Do we know that somone with a newer reservation can't just say they "intend" to get FSD and be part of that stat?

I mean this is crowdsourced honor system data anyway. I don't think you can parse it that fine.
You can’t make any changes in the configuration at the moment, so you can’t add FSD. I just hope the FSD added earlier stays at The same price ($7000)!

Reactions: Drumheller
It's flat stretchable sheets applied to flat bent sheets (no curves), what could be less labor intensive? The blue truck looks like they unrolled the film down the side then cut in place (no paint to damage). If they did it before wheel trim and mirror attachment, even simpler.

That said, a reason for the wraps is that they are (basically) free advertising. It also provides differentiation to show there are multiple units out there.
To do a proper job, they still will have to be folded over the edges. Otherwise there will be a dirt line where the wrap ends. Certainly it's going to be easier to do it on the CT rather than any other vehicle, but it's not a slam-dunk.

Doubt it will happen on the line, considering the potential impact to production flow.

There could be a post-production wrapping station/building that is associated with the new logistics lot being built across the highway. This way it would not hinder non-wrapped production/delivery flow. I would suspect it would be difficult to justify from a "The best part..." perspective.

a high-quality wrap requires removing the body panels, so the wrap can actually wrap around those panels and not show the original color. If the wrap is happening AT the factory, it doesn't make sense to put the body panels on just to take them right back off again to wrap them.

I agree a wrap option adds logistical complexity, but I think there's a great deal of potential revenue that could make it worthwhile, if it could be integrated into the general assembly process. I'm sure they could easily charge $12k for a unique factory custom bespoke wrap, and $6k for a standard "off the shelf" wrap from a pre-defined selection of colors or patterns. The question is whether working those elements into general production would be worth it. In general, the cheaper the MSRP of the cybertruck ends up being, the more worthwhile a wrap markup would be for profit margin.

By the way, i'm friends with a guy that owns a wrap shop. In the northern VA area, business is booming. The shops all have long lead times for appointments, and by far their most frequent customers are Tesla owners. The demand exists.

This Plaid does not require any wrap. Ultra Red is awesome. Picked her up yesterday, P&D +1

:cool:

IMG_2699.jpeg

Tesla reported 16 days of Inventory in their last 10-Q, and that is based on an industry standard 75-days of sales in a quarter. Supply-chain consultant Jeff Lutz said on "Brighter with Herbert" channel a few days ago that about 8 days of that inventory is "in-transit" either on ships or car carriers, but likely already sold and pending delivery. Jeff concludes that Tesla had 7 days or less of extra "sellable" inventory, which at Q2 production rates inplies about ~45K cars.

We've seen some estimates already for reduced August production in Shanghai during the switch-over to Model 3 "Highland", but it seems to have be on the order of 20K (and now production is higher going forward). Model Y at Giga Texas potentially is down for 2 weeks for production line upgrades according to Joe Tegtmeyer, but that's only 10K total Models Y. So, net-net, available inventory (~45K) is very close to enough vs the fewer cars produced (~30K) as Elon told us during the Q2 Conf. Call.

The more interesting situation is with Giga Shanghai. It seems that initial "Highland" production was mostly put on ships bound for Europe to facilitate a Oct 1st roll-out of the new product in both China and Europe. That means that those shiploads may remain in inventory for the end of Q3, and deliveries would pad Q4. However, it might be only 2-3 ships, so it's likely the remaining 10K from available inventory. BTW, Fremont needs to crank out the cars to build inventory for Jan 1st, in preparation for the IRA "instant rebate".
At this point in the year I take one of my bi-annual drives from UK to Greece, and I generally pass through Munich for personal reasons. So ordinarily at this point I see car-transporters laden with Shanghai-made Teslas coming over the Brenner Pass from the ports at Trieste/Koper to the logistics hub(s) in Germany. I'm almost always doing that leg on the same day of the week, and the same time of day.

I noticed that this week there were no transporters at all. My one transit is a scant data point but I am very used to seeing those trucks going past me, and so I was wondering the exact same thing as you are suggesting.

The more interesting situation is with Giga Shanghai. It seems that initial "Highland" production was mostly put on ships bound for Europe to facilitate a Oct 1st roll-out of the new product in both China and Europe. That means that those shiploads may remain in inventory for the end of Q3, and deliveries would pad Q4.

( I did see a few transporters of S heading east through ?? Belgium and Eifel region of western Germany. I think there were X on them too, but I was only sure about the S. My seeing these transporters is always far patchier than the Brenner Pass ones.)