Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

'FEDA also argued that the use of giga castings could lead to increased environmental waste. This would reportedly be the case since the production of large vehicle components requires more material and energy than the production of smaller components.'

😐

Screenshot_20231005_122228_Chrome.jpg

best seller in Europe so far in 2023.

'FEDA also argued that the use of giga castings could lead to increased environmental waste. This would reportedly be the case since the production of large vehicle components requires more material and energy than the production of smaller components.'

😐
I thought they could not be that stupid, looked up the original press release in French, and indeed something got lost in translation.

What they are saying is that when the car gets damaged, the repairs will likely involve the replacement of larger parts, which is wasteful and more expensive (which remains debatable). They were not talking about the production at all.

Gigafactory location speculation

Rohan Patel @rohanspatel [Personal account, Tesla Policy and Bizdev - according to account description]
If you believed the legacy media, we are building Gigafactories in virtually every country in Asia and Europe while at the same time cancelling factories we have already announced. It is BS clickbait and should be ignored.

This article is one of many I have seen that incorrectly and randomly comments on our Mexico plans. We will continue to make progress with the local, state and federal governments and we are very appreciative of their efforts to enable the permits and sustainable infrastructure necessary.

Then updated with this

You’re right and it was probably just dumb to even bother correcting. I could spend all my waking hours just correcting media misinformation about topics I directly know are incorrect.

I think you may be underestimate the value of a driven leader with vision. The culture will be lost (not immediately), but overtime without the spiritual leader. It’s unclear what is going to happen at Amazon now that Bezos is busy with his new life (and new wife).
Pretty sure Cosmaself is aware of the value of a visionary leader given his previous profession. But over the lifespan of any long enduring company, different leadership traits & leaders may best serve the company at specific times and maximize the cumulative return to shareholders. Dunno if a different CEO for Tesla would be optimal now, 5 years, or 15 years from now but at some point it will be--just as Apple may have inadvertently benefitted by having a manager-type CEO in Tim Cook at the reigns after the vision and key strategic directions/decisions/products were set by Steve Jobs. The key is timing and finding the right person when the time comes. Moreover, I suspect that over the next 2-5 years as some of the outstanding challenges which Tesla still has on its plate are overcome, Elon's going to naturally shift his focus in other directions, perhaps especially towards SpaceX and Neuralink as they both seem primed to enter exponential phases.

Pretty sure Cosmaself is aware of the value of a visionary leader given his previous profession. But over the lifespan of any long enduring company, different leadership traits & leaders may best serve the company at specific times and maximize the cumulative return to shareholders. Dunno if a different CEO for Tesla would be optimal now, 5 years, or 15 years from now but at some point it will be--just as Apple may have inadvertently benefitted by having a manager-type CEO in Tim Cook at the reigns after the vision and key strategic directions/decisions/products were set by Steve Jobs. The key is timing and finding the right person when the time comes. Moreover, I suspect that over the next 2-5 years as some of the outstanding challenges which Tesla still has on its plate are overcome, Elon's going to naturally shift his focus in other directions, perhaps especially towards SpaceX and Neuralink as they both seem primed to enter exponential phases.
I always appreciate a balanced view like this. When evaluating huge decisions like who has CEO power, a broad (in scope AND time) perspective is what is needed.
But it bears saying that if Elon left Tesla to work on other companies, that would be really ... Boring!
(sorry, could not resist)

I thought they could not be that stupid, looked up the original press release in French, and indeed something got lost in translation.

What they are saying is that when the car gets damaged, the repairs will likely involve the replacement of larger parts, which is wasteful and more expensive (which remains debatable). They were not talking about the production at all.

Was translated by Reuters perhaps? 🤷‍♂️

Wow and it's not at all expensive, around £50k they reckon. Might grab one of those given that the Roadster II is unlikely to arrive in Europe any time soon, plus with the price-tag I could keep my Model X and have a little toy for playing, keep both my wife and myself happy...
More reliable than the petrol version?

• Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Curve ball... how did 500 mi range become the spec in the first place? Nice and round, it rolls off the tongue? Or was this based on research... like what they're doing right now with Pepsi? Real world is always different.

Perhaps 465 miles is more efficient for future charging infrastructure by not having to carry as many batteries (which are in short supply). It takes a lot of power to move those extra batteries around. So if I were Tesla, I'd be trying to find the sweet spot based on geographic layouts and real testing. It would still need to pull full loads up mountains, but that's another equation that could possibly be adjusted with one less gear tooth etc. These are Plaid motors in the Semi, right? Super high RPM.

So ya, out of thin blue air, what if pack size and specs are changing, would we know? Obviously it wouldn't sound good if it didn't do 500 mi. But the price could drop to make it a newer product line, and get the chemistry fine tuned to maybe squeeze it back up later on. Could also be why they aren't being clear on range. The number 500 is maybe just a double dare, no different than the speed of sound challenge. I'll let the distribution gurus figure out if what I'm implying even makes sense.

(Edit: Or different batteries coming soon for Semi... just speculating).

500 miles equals 9 hours of driving, a bit less on real world range if you consider you don't drain your pack to 0% and that you might get less on real world

Maximum a trucker can drive non stop is 8 hours, then he needs a mandatory break of half an hour, and then can drive another 4 hours, in this half an hour the truck can be back to 80% and capable of easily driving the rest

Same is valid for a pair of drivers, so they are always going 10-80%, they will do 350 miles legs of 6.5 hours with a 30 min charge break. A pair of drivers can drive a maximum of 22 hours combined in a day, or 1210 miles, so less than 4 of the 350 miles legs

Basically the Semi doesn't change the distance a pair of drivers can drive, since the time they have to take mandatory breaks is more than the time it takes to charge in those 24h

Companies that do multi day trips will be hungry for it once there is a Megacharger infrastructure, they will have no time penalty but huge cost savings

Funding Secured!

Just got a check in the mail for my "share of the Fair Fund established by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission in Elon Musk, Civil Action No. 1:18-cv-8865-(LJL) and Tesla, Inc., Civil Action No. 1:18-cv-8947-(LJL)."

Any suggestions on how to put this $34,677.94 to use? I'm tempted to try the long shot -- 10 Jan 2026, 510 calls. Or I could just get about 136 shares. Or I could earmark it for buying an Optimus when it finally appears in a few years?

Sniff 😭. Maybe I can get second place. $28,678.82 for me.

I actually kinda wish he doesn't, and steps down as CEO of Tesla. I've been thinking this for a long time now actually.

His Solarcity acquisition was a giant strategic mistake. There is no other way to look at it as a bailout of a company he was chair of. It didn't do too much damage to Tesla, but there was nothing positive it brought.

And after he bought Solarcity, he gutted its offerings and pivoted to a solar roof, which is still very, very problematic and may never actually work from a business point of view.

He pushed for the Cybertruck - that appears to be a strategic win, but the jury is still out. It isn't clear whether Tesla would have done just as well with a traditional truck - it probably would have been shipping by now, for example.

Elon was almost successful in nixing the $25K car. He wanted it robotaxi only, no steering wheel, etc. It took his mgmt team quite a while to convince him otherwise. That was a needless delay.

He has been consistently wrong, for like 7 years, on Autopilot/FSD advancement. Has he been starving the FSD team of resources because he thinks success is just around the corner ... for seven years? 200 core developers is kinda small for such an important effort.

It will be very interesting to see where Teslabot lands. Its success is 100% dependent on advanced AI, specifically how to teach it to do novel tasks. So, dependent on something that Elon has been wrong about for seven years. THIS time, he's got it figured out, right? THIS time their AI team will have the goods to make it a success ... soon? Right?

In the end, Tesla is now being run by very good people, a stellar culture has been imbued, Elon's contributions could actually be hurting on balance.
I think the same character traits that led to many of these errors of judgement were also critical to the success of Tesla and Space X. Musk's maniacal refusal to give up and to find a way where others would have failed, are the reason why we're conversing on this forum right now

But I can also entertain the idea that the person needed to start and grow these companies to where they are today, isn't perhaps the best person to take them forwards from here

The obvious example is Steve Jobs and Tim Apple - difference is that Musk could still play a Jobsian role at Tesla, but hand over the operations to someone better suited. It's the COO discussion we've had for years now

So no, I wouldn't want him to leave, but I'd like to see him focus on the things he likes and is good at, but I'm not sure he'd ever be beholden to anyone, that's the issue

Link to the new charger’s thread below, but first, in reply to @Usain, it is pleasant that Tesla, which had declared “Shipments to begin in October”…did indeed ship mine some time on October 1.
Now, that must be a first for the company!

Andddd.......Bingo!:D
IMG_2079.JPG

I would say he was also far off on the 4680 and the entire battery capacity/needs. They have been agile enough to backfill with less than stellar alternative solutions but they have resulted in compromises such as certain tesla models being slower than a chevy bolt (not that I care about speed but it is not something to brag about).

The battery launch failures have significantly delayed the CT and Semi, the semi was a glorious solution that would dramatically alter the field of heavy trucking. Years late now.

I don't think I/you can blame Elon for that. Did Elon come up with the tabless design? The 4680 form factor? I think all that was his engineering team. The structural battery? Elon or team? Regardless, I think these are good innovations and was worth trying to do them. Elon and his team did stress that these projects could get delayed. Just like Elon stressed the Cybertruck could get delayed. I don't consider these failures.

Solar City might not have been a good investment in hindsight but it DOES align perfectly with Tesla's mission.
I was criticizing based on investment/strategic performance.
If Tesla had become a solar panel installing juggernaut then no one would be deriding Elon for buying Solar City.
But it didn't.

And solar roof is a great product being held back by installation labor. That will likely be alleviated in time due to Optimus.
You're reaching! Even now, it can't be anything other than a drain on company profitability.

And you say he's been consistently wrong for 7 years on FSD advancement? That's not how I see it, FSD has progressed immensely over the past 7 years. He has been wrong about the timeframe for hitting Level 5 but Elon is an eternal optimist afterall, and FSD has proven to be a tougher nut to crack than expected. Still, progress is regularly made and to say he's been categorically "wrong" about FSD is incorrect, it's just taking longer than he expected it to.
It matters when you make big decisions based on unrealistic timelines, like he did recently deciding not to pursue the $25K car.

Elon has made some mistakes for sure. But all the things you mentioned as failures are just "things that are late".
Solarcity is still is a disaster financially, not late. Deleting the $25K was almost a disaster.

To say he starved the FSD team of resources sounds kind of nuts when you consider how much he's been pouring into Dojo and Nvidia clusters. I haven't heard that the FSD team wanted to hire more developers or labelers. It seems to me that Elon has given the FSD team everything they asked for and more.
Fair point.

The reason I keep adding to my Tesla position is precisely because of those "things that are late". Many of those "things" are going to be earth-shattering when they go from "late" to "here". And I'm expecting some big ones in 2024.
Me too. I'm not selling. Doesn't mean Elon is the right guy going forwards, especially at his 30% attention rate to Tesla (which may be why some of his decisions are off lately).

I think you may be underestimate the value of a driven leader with vision. The culture will be lost (not immediately), but overtime without the spiritual leader. It’s unclear what is going to happen at Amazon now that Bezos is busy with his new life (and new wife).
I do agree Elon is a great leader.

Another important aspect: To not let Evil win. Solar City was almost brought to its knees when it was overweight on expansion at the risk of being attackable by shorts, and they did. A solar city bankruptcy would have caused severe issues for solar adoption across the United States. Instead, Tesla bailed out solar city customer and business and gave a big long middle finger to the financial vultures, and, in effect, also the fossil fuel industry trying to prevent solar adoption.
That's nice, but didn't help my Tesla stock. At all.

Solar Roof would be super cool if it was possible to get it done at reasonable cost, hopefully a breakthrough eventually happens. Just like with battery cost.
I'm skeptical.

We really lucked out in this battle that the Saudis bailed on Elon's funding secured and didn't get to own this amazing company for pennies on the dollar of what its potential really is. Instead we get to. Have some faith.
True. Good thing we got saved by events. If it were left totally up to Elon, we'd be cashed out at $420 pre split.

Yes, mistakes. Let us just forget that the Model Y has become the best selling car in the world. Let us forget that the Supercharger network has been so successful that virtually every major NA EV competitor has signed on to use the network. Let us forget that Tesla Energy now has high Gross Margins and high growth, count pled with Virtual Power Plants as operating reality. Let's just concentrate on the missteps and late deliveries , shall we? We certainly would not want to think of the steady reduction in vehicle cost, including those insanely gigantic Gigapresses.
Much better to concentrate on the mistakes and late deliveries. After all the successes are not nearly so important. Much better it is to think of the plentiful supply of Elon missteps.
I might say I'm sorry to be so argumentative, but I'm not. I might even put an /s somewhere but I intend no sarcasm.
Finally, I, too, am irritated with much of Elon's behavior. When I am I think about Jobs, Einstein, H. Ford, N. Tesla, Edison and many more, warped and irritating every one. Every one had failures and stupid moves. That makes it obvious to conclude that 'world changing talent' also has glaring human defects. Those defects invariably include some offensive ones.
We should be better than to focus only on those highly visible defects. Even Isaacson understands that those achievements come at the price of quite strange distortions.
Hey I agree about the successes. Oh, I forgot another Elon mistake - his edict in the Model 3 ramp to automate everything. Even I knew that was a mistake when I first heard that. That almost bankrupted the company. Yes, his incredible leadership and hard work pulled Tesla's bacon from the fire, but another leader wouldn't have ended up in that mess in the first place.

This. On the whole Elon has been a massive positive for Tesla. Its just that at some point, companies need different talents at the helm. Given Elon's penchant to distract himself with side projects when things get too complacent, I'm not sure running Tesla is in our best interests now. That company has so many things going on, I am truly worried about "boss paralysis", in that nothing moves forward unless the boss says so. Now Elon makes quick decisions (not always the right ones), but in a company the size of Tesla the sheer volume of decisions needed to not get slowed down keep on increasing.