Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
People upset about elons discussion of macro and affordability... I disagree. I am very glad we have a CEO who is acutely aware of the economics of the end product and the average consumer.
The alternative is to have the CEO of Lucid, puzzled why nobody is buying their staggeringly expensive supercars during huge economic uncertainty. I'd much rather have elon running Tesla than anyone else, and very happy with the very low level of inventory Tesla carries compared to some other companies.
Elon may have had a bad day, or be tired. Thats ok. Its a sign of a CEO who cares and actually works :D.
People that grew up at time not to far back that jumped at mortgage rates under 10%.

IMO I see a great chance to see TSLA at $300+ sometime before year end. What other OEM is adding such large amounts of cash to their bottom lines in these tough economic times? What other OEMs are spooling up production (EV, battery storage or otherwise) as quickly and economically feasible as Tesla? With energy, AI, supercharging and other services becoming increasingly "meaningful contributors to profitability" what other company is structured like Tesla? As far as I can tell most OEMs are in the process of literally going bankrupt. Where's that investment money going to flow to?

All the FUD/criticisms/concerns directed daily at Tesla are just as applicable to practically any business out there. But Tesla has something that others don't: a growing pile of cash, healthy free cash flow, and a solid business plan for the future. One can't say that about many other businesses.

This statement from the slide deck says it all: "Our cost of goods sold per vehicle decreased to ~$37,500 in Q3. While production cost at our new factories remained higher than our established factories, we have implemented necessary upgrades in Q3 to enable further unit cost reductions. We continue to believe that an industry leader needs to be a cost leader." AND THIS: "We are planning to grow production as quickly as possible in alignment with the 50% CAGR target we began guiding to in early 2021. In some years we may grow faster and some we may grow slower, depending on a number of factors. For 2023, we expect to remain ahead of the long-term 50% CAGR with around 1.8 million vehicles for the year."

IMO even less chance now for TSLA to $300 by year end. The negative QoQ and YoY earnings growth have been verified (but expected), and energy sector did not show big growth QoQ. It did show good and improving margins, but investors won't make big updated projections for 2024 based on that alone. If we saw a 30% QoQ growth in deployed GWh, maybe.

With this quarter's update, TSLA TTM EPS are actually going to go down. PE ratio will suddenly be higher than before.

TSLA's 2024 forward PE ratio based on current EPS estimates is already over 60 (in contrast most stocks including Nvidia are 40 or under).

Do you think TSLA should have a Forward PE ratio of over 75? Based on really nothing changing on the earnings growth front? Insanity.

COGs decrease is somewhat an illusion. The mix of short / long range and RWD / AWD shifted more to the SR / RWD variants, which alone would make COGs decrease (along with ASPs).

People upset about elons discussion of macro and affordability... I disagree. I am very glad we have a CEO who is acutely aware of the economics of the end product and the average consumer.
The alternative is to have the CEO of Lucid, puzzled why nobody is buying their staggeringly expensive supercars during huge economic uncertainty. I'd much rather have elon running Tesla than anyone else, and very happy with the very low level of inventory Tesla carries compared to some other companies.
Elon may have had a bad day, or be tired. Thats ok. Its a sign of a CEO who cares and actually works :D.
Very true. We have seen this many times before. My short term greed sometimes gets in the way of appreciating a realistic, once in a generation CEO who speaks from truth rather than trying to satisfy short term quarter by quarter thinking.

IMO even less chance now for TSLA to $300 by year end. The negative QoQ and YoY earnings growth have been verified (but expected), and energy sector did not show big growth QoQ. It did show good and improving margins, but investors won't make big updated projections for 2024 based on that alone. If we saw a 30% QoQ growth in deployed GWh, maybe.

With this quarter's update, TSLA TTM EPS are actually going to go down. PE ratio will suddenly be higher than before.

TSLA's 2024 forward PE ratio based on current EPS estimates is already over 60 (in contrast most stocks including Nvidia are 40 or under).

Do you think TSLA should have a Forward PE ratio of over 75? Based on really nothing changing on the earnings growth front? Insanity.

COGs decrease is somewhat an illusion. The mix of short / long range and RWD / AWD shifted more to the SR / RWD variants, which alone would make COGs decrease (along with ASPs).
Surprise, surprise you are negative on the stock. Daddy needs to find a new hobby.

Elon has NEVER considered earnings calls to be an opportunity to pump the stock. He has always considered people who trade (esp day trade) the stock to be his enemy. He cares about long term investors only. Nothing has changed.
Sometimes he is in a good mood, sometimes not, but I think extrapolating his tone of voice into the LONG TERM potential for the business is madness. I've had TSLA stock for 8 years, and experienced every elon mood on the calls. Its never been a great predictor of the stock over the following 3 months.

Elon has NEVER considered earnings calls to be an opportunity to pump the stock. He has always considered people who trade (esp day trade) the stock to be his enemy. He cares about long term investors only. Nothing has changed.
Sometimes he is in a good mood, sometimes not, but I think extrapolating his tone of voice into the LONG TERM potential for the business is madness. I've had TSLA stock for 8 years, and experienced every elon mood on the calls. Its never been a great predictor of the stock over the following 3 months.

Yep, be real, things are bad, everywhere, tell me that, how you guys are fighting it, what are the plans, what are the risk and so on

Which is exactly what they did, I don't want fluff and everything is good, we are awesome and so on like other automakers and them reality sets in latter and they are caught with pants down