Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So... why did TSLA fall 3% today? Rest of the market did fine.
Oh, My bad. I apologise ;^)

The bulk of my hodls are in an IRA and my Required Minimum Distro for 2023 is based on the closing price on the last trading day of this year. I hope for a preciptous drop on that last day, followed by an astronomical rise on the first day of the new year. All this, just to minimize the number of chairs I must move to the non-IRA account -- an 'in kind' distro. So, taxed as 'regular' taxable income.

Don't panic. Just HODL. ...and happy 2024 and a new ATH!

I had privately wondered about that charge port location. Seems like a more protected location could have been found.
I think that's just a cover that protrudes however... So, I wouldn't think that would be much worse than than than the S or 3/Y which just have a plastic cover integrated into the plastic taillight... that ain't gonna survive much of an impact either.

If anything, the charge port cover held up well, given the rest of the fender flare was sheared off...

Interesting new type of supercharger configuration ready to open in Manning provincial park in BC. Kind of trailer friendly. It would work for us. An improvement to back in only sites. I suspect going forward this will be more common as more non teslas are charging at Tesla sites as well as more trailers are towed by EV’s.

Happy new year all. Safe travels.

IMG_7920.jpeg

Why?

It was not charging during the accident.
Not sure if you’re serious , but if you are…

…added expense and complexity to repair the charging port paraphernalia after even minor left rear sideswipe damage. Plus, the real possibility of that minor damage making charging impossible until a repair was made. PITA if one was on a trip and the other damage was mainly cosmetic.

It seems to my eye to be much more vulnerable sitting out on a fender flare than if it is on other Tesla’s. But that’s just my impression.

Whole Mars Catalog got a video of FSD Beta 12.1, and says it is 'more stable and usable' than he expected:

Was there by chance additional context before or after that tweet?

Without context about the expectations, I'm honestly not sure if that's good or bad...the wording is just odd. Almost like if you met somebody's child, and told the parent: "your child's behavior and appearance were more socially acceptable than I expected!" It all hinges on what back-story there might be influencing what you were expecting, I guess.

So perhaps Whole Mars was expecting that since it wasn't yet a wide/public release, things would be VERY rough. In this case, not much of a compliment to say the video was more stable and usable than expected.

On the other hand, Whole Mars would have seen Elon's video testing a version of FSD Beta 12 a few months ago, so maybe the expectation was based on likely progress since that video. In which case, perhaps expectations were high, and reality was even higher. In that case, it's a big compliment.

Was there by chance additional context before or after that tweet?

Without context about the expectations, I'm honestly not sure if that's good or bad...the wording is just odd. Almost like if you met somebody's child, and told the parent: "your child's behavior and appearance were more socially acceptable than I expected!" It all hinges on what back-story there might be influencing what you were expecting, I guess.

So perhaps Whole Mars was expecting that since it wasn't yet a wide/public release, things would be VERY rough. In this case, not much of a compliment to say the video was more stable and usable than expected.

On the other hand, Whole Mars would have seen Elon's video testing a version of FSD Beta 12 a few months ago, so maybe the expectation was based on likely progress since that video. In which case, perhaps expectations were high, and reality was even higher. In that case, it's a big compliment.

I unfortunately don't have any extra context and am unsure of what his expectations were before looking at the leaked video. I could see either of the points that you made above being accurate.

Not sure if you’re serious , but if you are…

…added expense and complexity to repair the charging port paraphernalia after even minor left rear sideswipe damage. Plus, the real possibility of that minor damage making charging impossible until a repair was made. PITA if one was on a trip and the other damage was mainly cosmetic.

It seems to my eye to be much more vulnerable sitting out on a fender flare than if it is on other Tesla’s. But that’s just my impression.
Very serious. Wasn't sure if you were...

In any case, cars crash. Parts get replaced. This is a unit which gets easily replaced. This is less serious than a flat tire, especially with the CT.

Finally, I bite. Where would you put it so you'd get less anxious and satisfy your conditions?

I notice Electrek saw your post.

Do we know how the new connectors communicate with the gateway to assure no grid backfeed? The powerwalls are hardwired to the comms connector even on the backup switch, right?
The outlets (including Powershare via UMC) are uncontrolled. Powershare via UWC interlocks with Gateway to only do V2H, not V2G.

In any case, cars crash. Parts get replaced.
Having seen plenty of Cybertruck analysis videos now, where they've been tearing off trim and/or looking up from underneath, I've been very impressed by how few parts there are, how quickly the gigacastings are visible, and how simple it all looks, from a replacement/repair and also a modification standpoint. Excited to see the Cybertruck become a favourite for modders and amateur repair types

Very serious. Wasn't sure if you were...

In any case, cars crash. Parts get replaced. This is a unit which gets easily replaced. This is less serious than a flat tire, especially with the CT.

Finally, I bite. Where would you put it so you'd get less anxious and satisfy your conditions?
I think It's more of a "looks scary" rather than "is scary". I can see why they placed it there. It would be hard to place it anywhere else given the SS construction because they would have to cut a hole and then cover it somehow. So it would either be a tricky piece of SS to cover, or a bump similar to the fender flares.

I think It's more of a "looks scary" rather than "is scary". I can see why they placed it there. It would be hard to place it anywhere else given the SS construction because they would have to cut a hole and then cover it somehow. So it would either be a tricky piece of SS to cover, or a bump similar to the fender flares.
Just to go further with this point, I recall watching this part of the video below:

(see 13:00 mark where they talk about construction of charge port)

Today's trading looks like it'll end at $249.98, not a bad 2023 considering how it started for $TSLA. Happy New Year to all the TMC support group. Lots of things to be excited for in 2024 for our beloved $TSLA 🙌🙌🙌
Yup. But they’re working hard early….sitting at $249.99 at 10:48am PST…Over 2 hours to go still. Maybe the interns can watch things now?