Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That gives us some good information:
  • That as of April 4th they had produced 3,878 Cybertrucks.
  • That it wasn't a design problem, it was a supplier making an unauthorized change to make it easier on themselves to make the part.
    • "An unapproved change introduced lubricant (soap) to aid in the component assembly of the pad onto the accelerator pedal. Residual lubricant reduced the retention of the pad to the pedal."
    • The cost of the recall will likely be put on the part supplier, KSR International Inc.
  • It took less than 2 weeks from the time the first customer reported the issue to Tesla issuing the recall.
  • Neither collision that the FUD purveyors said was related to this actually were.

Last edited:
In this whole discussion about Model 2 vs Robotaxi....I think what gets missed is that model 2 (even if produced) is not necessarily a market success in the United States. It may be a compelling value outside of the US where small cars are more prevalent. However, statements by Elon indicate that initial production happens in Texas, and thus target the US market first.

Model 2 plus true FSD (at least 10x better than current version) may be a success in the US. But if FSD gets that good, it seems like a better idea to prioritize Robotaxi given better margins.

That gives us some good information:
  • That as of April 4th they had produced 3,878 Cybertrucks.
  • That it wasn't a design problem, it was a supplier making an authorized change to make it easier on themselves to make the part.
    • "An unapproved change introduced lubricant (soap) to aid in the component assembly of the pad onto the accelerator pedal. Residual lubricant reduced the retention of the pad to the pedal."
    • The cost of the recall will likely be put on the part supplier, KSR International Inc.
  • It took less than 2 weeks from the time the first customer reported the issue to Tesla issuing the recall.
  • Neither collision that the FUD purveyors said was related to this actually were.

Where are you getting point 2 and sub-items from?

I'm not seeing any mention this was assembly by supplier rather than Tesla

Recall said:
An unapproved change introduced lubricant (soap) to aid in the component
assembly of the pad onto the accelerator pedal. Residual lubricant reduced the
retention of the pad to the pedal.

That's the only thing I see about cause in there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Matias
In this whole discussion about Model 2 vs Robotaxi....I think what gets missed is that model 2 (even if produced) is not necessarily a market success in the United States. It may be a compelling value outside of the US where small cars are more prevalent. However, statements by Elon indicate that initial production happens in Texas, and thus target the US market first.

Model 2 plus true FSD (at least 10x better than current version) may be a success in the US. But if FSD gets that good, it seems like a better idea to prioritize Robotaxi given better margins.

I was considering this as well a bit ago.

Tesla might be pushing the $25K car back in the US where the market is smaller for it, but they still might make it for worldwide sales, just not produce it out of Austin but rather Berlin, Shanghai, and Mexico after the RT line (which will essentially be the $25K line) is running and sorted out in Austin. And its possible US $25K consumer cars will be built out of Mexico and just shipped up to the US as well. FSD is most proficient in the US anyway, so that is the logical place to begin producing and deploying RT's too.

Unboxed line gets prototyped first in Austin to make RT's but when perfected its "copy & pasted" to the non-US Giga factories to produce the $25K car which are sold worldwide, including exporting to the US (lower labor costs = lower car prices).

This feels plausible to me, and in many ways it would be a sensible strategy IMHO.

They aren’t great at hitting price targets. But they are @The best at innovative manufacturing and I have confidence in that part of the equation.
At the end of the day it was always going to be closer to $30,000. There is no magic to $25K. The point is adding a car in the lineup one level down from what we have or be forever condemned to whatever sales volumes mid- and upper-price range cars can hit.

There's another angle to this. Is it really a game changer? There's already a plethora of options in the segment, the BYD looking very compelling given the battery size and price. I think people are overestimating the number of cars of this size they can actually sell. The Model 3 and the Model Y especially was bang on in the sweet spot of the single-car household. It wasn't the cheapest electric car, but compared to the smaller/cheaper ones, it could be the car to do it all.

Reactions: sunwarriors
This is what you get for $2500 a year from Mercedes-

Exclusive: Mercedes becomes the first automaker to sell autonomous cars in the U.S. that don't come with a requirement that drivers watch the road

Mercedes becomes the first automaker to sell autonomous cars in the U.S. that don’t come with a requirement that drivers watch the road.

The luxury automaker has become the first in the nation to start selling self-driving cars—at least those that afford riders a hands-free experience—to regular consumers. So far, the company has sold at least 65 autonomous vehicles in California, Fortune has learned through an open records request submitted to the state’s DMV. Select Mercedes dealerships in Nevada are also offering the cars with the new technology, known as “level 3” autonomous driving.

Drivers can activate Mercedes’s technology, called Drive Pilot, when certain conditions are met, including in heavy traffic jams, during the daytime, on specific California and Nevada freeways, and when the car is traveling less than 40 mph. Drivers can focus on other activities until the vehicle alerts them to resume control. The technology does not work on roads that haven’t been pre-approved by Mercedes, including on freeways in other states.

The sales mark a new echelon of autonomous driving available to the average American. Mercedes is the first automaker selling to customers to achieve level 3 capabilities in the U.S., with Tesla and others still offering technology at level 2—in which cars can perform specific tasks but require constant supervision from a driver.

This is what you get for $2500 a year from Mercedes-

Exclusive: Mercedes becomes the first automaker to sell autonomous cars in the U.S. that don't come with a requirement that drivers watch the road

Mercedes becomes the first automaker to sell autonomous cars in the U.S. that don’t come with a requirement that drivers watch the road.

The luxury automaker has become the first in the nation to start selling self-driving cars—at least those that afford riders a hands-free experience—to regular consumers. So far, the company has sold at least 65 autonomous vehicles in California, Fortune has learned through an open records request submitted to the state’s DMV. Select Mercedes dealerships in Nevada are also offering the cars with the new technology, known as “level 3” autonomous driving.

Drivers can activate Mercedes’s technology, called Drive Pilot, when certain conditions are met, including in heavy traffic jams, during the daytime, on specific California and Nevada freeways, and when the car is traveling less than 40 mph. Drivers can focus on other activities until the vehicle alerts them to resume control. The technology does not work on roads that haven’t been pre-approved by Mercedes, including on freeways in other states.

The sales mark a new echelon of autonomous driving available to the average American. Mercedes is the first automaker selling to customers to achieve level 3 capabilities in the U.S., with Tesla and others still offering technology at level 2—in which cars can perform specific tasks but require constant supervision from a driver.
Is there a list of 'roads' that have been pre-approved? Sure sounds like a lot of legal mumbo jumbo in the event an accident should occur.

I'm not seeing any mention this was assembly by supplier rather than Tesla, or any mention of the supplier.

That's the only thing I see about cause in there.
The filing
SmartSelect_20240419_101433_Firefox.jpg
SmartSelect_20240419_101427_Firefox.jpg

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2024/RCLRPT-24V276-7026.PDF

I'm not seeing any mention this was assembly by supplier rather than Tesla, or any mention of the supplier.
You mean other than it specifically listing the supplier?

1713536482250.png

And the pedal assembly is a single component:

1713536770939.png

So it isn't like Tesla receives multiple parts that they assemble themselves.

Last edited:
When one article cites another, it's not surprising they say the same thing.
The only 'additive' thing in Electrek was "Electrek can confirm that the program, which was internally called ‘NV9’, was postponed, according to sources familiar with the matter."
"Postponed"

"Postponed" by a company that skews, shall we say, "aspirational" with its timelines. Not a complaint on my part -- I'm fine to wait until something is ready -- but in other news, I'm also postponing my plan to produce a profitable $25,000 EV.

Reactions: advocate8

You mean other than it specifically listing the supplier?

View attachment 1039929

I get that's the supplier (so half my question was just my missing that bit- apologies) - but that doesn't say they did the assembly or caused the issue.... " the component assembly of the pad onto the accelerator pedal" seems disambiguated such that it's unclear if this is a thing the supplier does and sends Tesla as a whole unit, or if Tesla assembled parts from KSR at their own factory.

Am I also missing something that says that?

Yup, over a period of Nov 13 to April 4.... just under 6 months. Doesn't tell us a ton about rate, but probably means they weren't running 1000 a week at any point like a few folks suggested.

Doesn't mean they weren't either...
Ramps increase, deliveries lag production, and only delivered vehicles are counted in a recall.
1,000 pack per week report was March 20th, 2 weeks before end of quarantine period.
The filing was 2 weeks after the quarantine period.