Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Turns Off AEB In New Cars Produced Since July

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Huge difference...

If I pay at the end of 2017 my insurance premiums for the entirety of 2018, the insurance company provides me with the promised insurance for all of 2018.

On the other hand, if I buy EAP and FSD at the end of 2017, there is absolutely no promise about what will be delivered in 2018 or when. And Tesla is incentivized to release something half-assed during 2018, before it is actually ready/tested, since it feels like it has to deliver something.

People who buy EAP/FSD only have extremely unreliable information (ie what Tesla states publicly) about what the software will do and when it will be delivered. Not so with prepaid insurance.

It's a gamble evidently many are willing to take. Personally, I try not to buy something based on what it "might" do in the future. Only what it does do today. (Except for stock purchases I suppose.). I didn't buy EAP nor FSD until I feel it is ready. That was my "choice". Just like everyone else.

It's a gamble evidently many are willing to take. Personally, I try not to buy something based on what it "might" do in the future. Only what it does do today. (Except for stock purchases I suppose.). I didn't buy EAP nor FSD until I feel it is ready. That was my "choice". Just like everyone else.
My 2 cents.... Just got my car on Thursday 9/28 from the factory. Took a bit of a road trip back to Southern California. I watched a lot of youtube videos so I felt that I knew the status of EAP and that FSD was no where on the horizon. To me I would not have purchased the car without at least EAP. I also keep my cars a bit longer then most. My history is 1985 corvette and then a 2003 Lexus and now Tesla. So I decided to spend the $8k for both EAP and FSD (also a purchase and not a lease). That is a current savings of $2k. I also think many high end cars require you to pay in this neighborhood to get the option package that includes advanced driver assist.

I am very happy with my decision. EAP actually worked better then I expected. I now have 660 miles and I used autopilot a lot on my trip. I expect it to get better over time. Regarding FSD, I am hoping that they add some of the features well before it is ready like they are doing with EAP. I could be wrong but I expect stop light and stop sign detection to be part of FSD and hopefully will come out sooner then later. Also, since I have already paid for FSD and they find out later they need to upgrade my hardware I hope/expect that to be a free upgrade. But not counting on anything. Just playing the odds as I see them.

Just popping in to get the status on this... it's been a long time since July.

Is EAB still disabled on new cars being put through the factory now... or are we good again ?
Yes. I got my car on 9/28 and got the email on 9/29 which has the following:

"We expect to have Automatic Emergency Braking enabled in your car in three to six weeks"

Yes. I got my car on 9/28 and got the email on 9/29 which has the following:

"We expect to have Automatic Emergency Braking enabled in your car in three to six weeks"

Using Tesla time, expect AEB in 2018. Seriously. I was told Eec 31 and got it June 2017. I picked up my car 12/23 (so 9 days was timeframe). Tesla hadn't even started on partial AEB. They just say whatever to get cars out the door. Most of the staff doesn't even know.

• Funny
Reactions: Kant.Ing and Swift
My 2 cents.... Just got my car on Thursday 9/28 from the factory. Took a bit of a road trip back to Southern California. I watched a lot of youtube videos so I felt that I knew the status of EAP and that FSD was no where on the horizon. To me I would not have purchased the car without at least EAP. I also keep my cars a bit longer then most. My history is 1985 corvette and then a 2003 Lexus and now Tesla. So I decided to spend the $8k for both EAP and FSD (also a purchase and not a lease). That is a current savings of $2k. I also think many high end cars require you to pay in this neighborhood to get the option package that includes advanced driver assist.

I am very happy with my decision. EAP actually worked better then I expected. I now have 660 miles and I used autopilot a lot on my trip. I expect it to get better over time. Regarding FSD, I am hoping that they add some of the features well before it is ready like they are doing with EAP. I could be wrong but I expect stop light and stop sign detection to be part of FSD and hopefully will come out sooner then later. Also, since I have already paid for FSD and they find out later they need to upgrade my hardware I hope/expect that to be a free upgrade. But not counting on anything. Just playing the odds as I see them.

I think by next year I will purchase EAP.

I just received my MS 75 on 9/16 with EAP and did not receive any notice that AEB is disabled... Novice question... but is there a way to know if it is disabled? Tried skimming through the 23 pages of posts but gave up after reading all the awesome comments between the Left vs Right AEB politics... :)

Have you checked in the settings on your center display to see if you can turn it off? (I would think it wouldn't show up as something you can display if it is not enabled.)

Have you checked in the settings on your center display to see if you can turn it off? (I would think it wouldn't show up as something you can display if it is not enabled.)
The setting isn’t present at all. I assume it’s supposed to be on the AP page? But it’s not anywhere on my AP2.5 X.

And I got the email sometime week one of ownership.

The setting isn’t present at all. I assume it’s supposed to be on the AP page? But it’s not anywhere on my AP2.5 X.

And I got the email sometime week one of ownership.

The manual says "Automatic Emergency Braking is always
enabled when you start Model S. To disable it
for your current drive, touch Controls >
Settings > Driver Assistance > Automatic
Emergency Braking > Disable."

So you may have to be in drive to see the option.

The manual says "Automatic Emergency Braking is always
enabled when you start Model S. To disable it
for your current drive, touch Controls >
Settings > Driver Assistance > Automatic
Emergency Braking > Disable."

So you may have to be in drive to see the option.
Driver Assistance is the AP page. Yep, I don't have it, as I said. It's not there for the AP2.5 cars until they get done 'checking it out'.

Where does it say anything about 'being in drive'? It means, like the headlights options, it will reset when you put the car in Park if you do change it. You can't disable it permanently.

Driver Assistance is the AP page. Yep, I don't have it, as I said. It's not there for the AP2.5 cars until they get done 'checking it out'.

Where does it say anything about 'being in drive'? It means, like the headlights options, it will reset when you put the car in Park if you do change it. You can't disable it permanently.

Anyone who recently received the OTA update should have AEB now. I took delivery of my MX Sept. 30 and recently downloaded the most recent software upgrade. However, i'm not comfortable with it at all. I was on the highway with AP enabled and initiated a lane change to the passing lane and my MX slammed on the brakes with nothing within 100 yards or more in front of me. I had to hit the accelerator and take control of the vehicle. On a separated occasion, I was driving along city roads with ACC enabled and the MX again started behaving erratically, braking repeatedly without any vehicles ahead of me. So for now I disable AEB before each drive because of my reasons stated here. I'm not sure what information the MX is processing to generate these false positives. I'm curious to hear others experience with AEB with the 2.5 HW so far?

Anyone who recently received the OTA update should have AEB now. I took delivery of my MX Sept. 30 and recently downloaded the most recent software upgrade. However, i'm not comfortable with it at all. I was on the highway with AP enabled and initiated a lane change to the passing lane and my MX slammed on the brakes with nothing within 100 yards or more in front of me. I had to hit the accelerator and take control of the vehicle. On a separated occasion, I was driving along city roads with ACC enabled and the MX again started behaving erratically, braking repeatedly without any vehicles ahead of me. So for now I disable AEB before each drive because of my reasons stated here. I'm not sure what information the MX is processing to generate these false positives. I'm curious to hear others experience with AEB with the 2.5 HW so far?

That is likely not AEB but rather TACC ghost braking from not having the objects it detects whitelisted. Its hard to say for sure with your description. In other words, disabling AEB each time might not solve this problem and might endanger you and your passengers.

The problem exists because radar is the primary sensor for braking events on AP and radar has a hard time differentiating between small and large objects and also between objects at different heights. This is why metal bridges, sign posts, even traffic lights will need to be noted and white listed before this stops. It took about 5 months for HW2 to get sorted out (at least in my area). I had relatively few of the serious events (dropping >25mph on highway). I had many of the ghost brake checks (10mph or fewer). I got really good at hovering over the accelerator anticipating ghost braking. It is annoying but I'm glad its now over and I haven't had anything beyond the ghost pause (1-3 mph drop in speed) in 5 months.

As croman said, this is not AEB. If you did not hear alarm bells and see red lights on your instrument cluster, it was not AEB. This was TACC ghost braking. Disabling AEB will not stop this from happening. You should leave AEB enabled; it's an important safety feature. When AEB kicks in you will know it -- it will be a hard brake and there will be alert sounds and red IC warnings preceding and during it.

TACC ghost braking is getting better over time as AP software improves, but it's probably never going to go away as long as radar is the primary sensor for TACC. Maybe, if we are all very lucky, Tesla will figure out how to use the cameras as primary for TACC, or how to do sensor fusion properly.

ACC on other vehicles is often much smoother because those other vehicles are more aggressively filtering the radar returns and only operate after they "lock" onto a vehicle immediately ahead to follow. As a result, those systems get fewer false positives but also many more false negatives. Most of those systems will happily slam right into the back of a car stopped at a red light ahead of you (the AEB may kick in at the last minute, but it won't be a comfortable stop and likely won't stop the vehicle completely). Or, for that matter, they will happily cruise control you right into a concrete barrier or a building (again, AEB may or may not save your butt in such a situation). I find that Tesla's TACC will stop for cars at a red light most (but not all) of the time, but often it starts braking later than I would have (and therefore comes to an uncomfortably abrupt stop.) I've been letting it do this out of curiosity; sometimes it takes so long to start braking that I lose my nerves an apply the brakes manually.

Reactions: croman