Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Used Inventory Down 30%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree with the auctioning off of more cars theory. I recently bought a CPO 2016 and not too long after that noticed a huge change in the inventory on the Tesla site. Used to be you could always find 2012, 2013s with high mileage in the 30k range. When I look now it seems to be relatively low mileage cars in the last four years or newer starting in the high 40k range. It also looks to me like the prices may have actually gone up. When searching other websites I noticed a few months ago many were at Manheim (auction) locations.

On a random note, am I the only one who doesn’t want an m3 and only a model s?
Before Model 3 was available I gave my wife Model S as a birthday present because she hated buying gas. She loved it, except it was too big with poor interior storage.

She decided Model 3 was her ideal car after a test drive. Now she's happy in 3P-. RIght size for her, sports car handling, good interior storage.

I got the S when the 3 arrived. Love it. The space, ride, range and design. Share the S with our daughter's family nearby. Telecommute most days, hated to see the car just sit in the driveway. Always use it for road trips.

I agree with the auctioning off of more cars theory. I recently bought a CPO 2016 and not too long after that noticed a huge change in the inventory on the Tesla site. Used to be you could always find 2012, 2013s with high mileage in the 30k range. When I look now it seems to be relatively low mileage cars in the last four years or newer starting in the high 40k range. It also looks to me like the prices may have actually gone up. When searching other websites I noticed a few months ago many were at Manheim (auction) locations.

Tesla does play with the used prices very frequently. Used prices on S and X right now are higher than they were almost 12 months ago for the same build year, config and mileage.

Reactions: geowhjr
Was that a refresh? AP2?
Im close to pulling the trigger on one now - and it is more than 10K than yours.

If you can wait, I would see what the used prices will be end of this month into next month. It seems as though Tesla increases used prices the in last month of a quarter (and does not get around to changing it for at least a few weeks after) to keep the delta between new and used low in an effort to push people into buying new.

If you can wait, I would see what the used prices will be end of this month into next month. It seems as though Tesla increases used prices the in last month of a quarter (and does not get around to changing it for at least a few weeks after) to keep the delta between new and used low in an effort to push people into buying new.

Sounds like a reasonable strategy, will hold off then. Thanks for the insight.

Sounds like a reasonable strategy, will hold off then. Thanks for the insight.
Don't wait. Find the car that checks all the boxes of what you're looking at a price you can live with. The person you quoted hasn't the foggiest idea what the market is going to do nor do they have any idea what Tesla's used car inventory will look like or what the prices will be. If they did, they wouldn't be on Tesla forums giving completely baseless financial advice.

A few people fancied themselves Nostradamus over the months and with each approaching quarter they said to hold off because the flood of cars for sale was coming. It never came. Instead, all of the people who foolishly took this anonymous advice are now looking at spending anywhere from $10k-$20k more for the same car due to the ever-decreasing number of cars available.

I'm glad I didn't listen because I got a KILLER deal on a loaded P85D in exactly the color combo I wanted several months ago rather than waiting for the supposed flood of cars that was coming once the quarter ended... three times now. I paid about $12k under book value at the time and got a car that would now cost me $15k more to buy now.

Like most things in life, you can wait forever and it will eventually get cheaper but wouldn't you rather find a good deal today and actually enjoy life?

Don't wait. Find the car that checks all the boxes of what you're looking at a price you can live with. The person you quoted hasn't the foggiest idea what the market is going to do nor do they have any idea what Tesla's used car inventory will look like or what the prices will be. If they did, they wouldn't be on Tesla forums giving completely baseless financial advice.

I'm glad I didn't listen because I got a KILLER deal on a loaded P85D in exactly the color combo I wanted several months ago rather than waiting for the supposed flood of cars that was coming once the quarter ended... three times now. I paid about $12k under book value at the time and got a car that would now cost me $15k more to buy now.

Like most things in life, you can wait forever and it will eventually get cheaper but wouldn't you rather find a good deal today and actually enjoy life?

Did I say anything about a “supposed flood of cars”? No. I said that Tesla changes their used car pricing frequently. And that is a fact you can check yourself on EV-CPO. It’s how we bought one of ours.

Just like you said, the same car you bought costs more now. Well, if you follow a VIN, you can bet that VIN will be cheaper again at some point in the next 1-2 months.

Reactions: darxsys
Did I say anything about a “supposed flood of cars”? No. I said that Tesla changes their used car pricing frequently. And that is a fact you can check yourself on EV-CPO. It’s how we bought one of ours.

Just like you said, the same car you bought costs more now. Well, if you follow a VIN, you can bet that VIN will be cheaper again at some point in the next 1-2 months.
Yeah, or it will be sold. Just like the other thousands of cars that have sold and you can easily track how many Model S of various trim levels have been available for various periods and the trend has been steady and obvious: Down. People keep saying to wait until after this quarter and that quarter but the fact remains that no new quarter has brought about a flood of available cars or a decreased price point. The number of available cars has steadily gone down for a year now and the prices are now on the rise as supply hasn't met demand. Telling someone to wait it out is most likely going to result in them paying more. Not less.

The prices do change frequently but they also sell cars to people like you and I. The pool of available cars has dropped over since this time last year. Drastically I might add too. People keep talking about quarterly numbers and quarter this and quarter that and we've already proven that the quarter has zero bearing on the number of cars available. Nada. Zilch. The only factor at play here is supply v. demand and as the supply dwindles the demand isn't being met with inventory. This why the prices have been steadily increasing. These are our data points. None of this other imaginary stuff people keep spewing trying to make it seem like they know more than the rest of us somehow. Telling people to wait until the end of another quarter without any info other than what we can gather from EV-CPO.com is terrible advice.

• Disagree
Reactions: KSilver2000
People keep talking about quarterly numbers and quarter this and quarter that and we've already proven that the quarter has zero bearing on the number of cars available. Nada. Zilch.
At the end of the last quarter (about two weeks ago) we got down to almost no cars. Like 30! Now it’s over 150 and decent deals pop up. There’s a facelifted model s in San Diego for 46k right now! A couple 2014 cars just sold for 32k. So the new quarter has brought deals. I am starting to think that maybe there are a lot more people trying to buy now so deals are running thin. For good hunters like us I think eventually we will catch something good.

Reactions: KSilver2000
At the end of the last quarter (about two weeks ago) we got down to almost no cars. Like 30! Now it’s over 150 and decent deals pop up. There’s a facelifted model s in San Diego for 46k right now! A couple 2014 cars just sold for 32k. So the new quarter has brought deals. I am starting to think that maybe there are a lot more people trying to buy now so deals are running thin. For good hunters like us I think eventually we will catch something good.
History has proven that inventory numbers have absolutely nothing to do with quarterly cycles. Nothing. They go up, they go down & this is the first start of the quarter where they've gone up & it's nowhere near as much as they went down the weeks leading up to the end of the quarter. Purely coincidental. I don't know why some are so hell-bent on trying to make it seem like they're related. Some things just aren't complex.