Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Used Inventory Down 30%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Used P100D prices are ridiculous right now with new P100D pricing

Tesla doesn’t seem to update their used prices immediately to reflect the change in new car pricing. It will take a little time. Some of the used prices, particularly for the Performance 3/S/X cost more than what a new one would if you factor in tax credits/rebates and mileage depreciation, which is ludicrous.

I can imagine what the used prices will be for performance Ludicrous S/X’s in a couple years. Maybe in the 50-60’s at this rate. The prices for new Raven P100DL is now the same as what a basic 90D was just 2-3 years ago.

Reactions: byeLT4
And you actually believe what Elon says?.............LMAO
I 100% believe it was an accurate statement at the time he said it. It doesnt mean it will hold true a month from now. There are probably several items being researched that may or may not make it to production. But I believe that at this point in time, there are no major changes approved for the production pipeline.

The used S prices that have risen now compared to similarly spec’d cars just a quarter or 2 ago in my eyes tilts the scale of value towards a new 3 and away from the used S inventory for those potential customers within the 40-50k price range. Whether or not the used pricing hike is related to an actual or artificial/manipulated decrease in supply for the used S inventory, it results in a pricing trend that mirrors Tesla’s latest filtering of its new product line. The remaining new vehicle configurations puts more distance between the 3 and the S in terms of price and customer. It seems to make sense if they’re attempting to drive demand towards the 3 and maybe it’s also their way of taking steps towards allowing for more room in their lineup, in the form of the Y. Price changes are frequent and frustrating for some, especially to those on the losing end, but I think it make sense to this outsider. I don’t buy into the major media outlets’ common assessments stating that the frequent pricing changes, at least those I’m familiar with in USD, are a sign of some type of confusion or poor direction. It feels like an auto manufacturer that does not act in the same way as other more established companies in the industry they’re used to observing. It feels more like a younger company that is able to remain agile as they continue to grow and scale as quickly as possible in their market in order to capture as much of that market as possible with their first mover advantage.

...well that spiraled.

Tesla is right now trying to sell 3 year old P100Ds with 35,000 miles for $90,000 when you can get a new and improved one for $99,000.

Who in their right minds would buy that?

The industry standard at 3 years is about 30-35% depreciation. Hell, the 10% depreciation Tesla is trying to sell usually happens within the first month of driving a new car. Not 3 years.

Reactions: DanCar
Tesla is right now trying to sell 3 year old P100Ds with 35,000 miles for $90,000 when you can get a new and improved one for $99,000.

The industry standard at 3 years is about 30-35% depreciation. Hell, the 10% depreciation Tesla is trying to sell usually happens within the first month of driving a new car. Not 3 years.

It's because of his stupid quote that these cars will appreciate. Lol. Jk
Surprised on his comments especially since most recent they've been getting price adjustments; 2019 blowouts havent even occured yet.

I read both sides, people bitching about resale value sucking, and then buyers bitching about used pricing not being low enough. ;)

In all seriousness, I agree, they are slow to adjust used car pricing. I was eagerly waiting for a certain combo to pop up, and once it did, it was $5-6k more than other similar ones. And it sold. Ah, oh well...confusing to say the least.

It's because of his stupid quote that these cars will appreciate. Lol. Jk
Surprised on his comments especially since most recent they've been getting price adjustments; 2019 blowouts havent even occured yet.

I have a feeling (wishful thinking maybe) that prices will get better towards the end of the year, as they typically do. Hopefully I will make a move then....as I'm in no hurry. Just eager!!!

For the P model S/X, used 2-years old cars were being sold by Tesla at 50-55% of the original sticker price (I know because I bought one). And Tesla was giving less than 50% on trade-in for most model S and X’s on 2-years old cars at least last year when I bought.

Just wait when the 3 is supposedly not supply-constrained, and the Y comes out. 50% depreciation or more after 3 years is what I’m betting on.

I read both sides, people bitching about resale value sucking, and then buyers bitching about used pricing not being low enough. ;)

In all seriousness, I agree, they are slow to adjust used car pricing. I was eagerly waiting for a certain combo to pop up, and once it did, it was $5-6k more than other similar ones. And it sold. Ah, oh well...confusing to say the least.

I have a feeling (wishful thinking maybe) that prices will get better towards the end of the year, as they typically do. Hopefully I will make a move then....as I'm in no hurry. Just eager!!!

That's the biggest issue. Tesla has lowered the prices but current owners refuse to lower their used cars as well. Now we are in a situation where majority of owners have their used cars priced within 5-10% of a brand new car. It's even common to see owners listing their cars above the price of a brand new car.

Reactions: KSilver2000
That's the biggest issue. Tesla has lowered the prices but current owners refuse to lower their used cars as well. Now we are in a situation where majority of owners have their used cars priced within 5-10% of a brand new car. It's even common to see owners listing their cars above the price of a brand new car.

Waiting for normal depreciation to show up to snag a 100d below $70k

I don't have any high hopes for the used market. Especially now with this free supercharging being removed, delusional owners will use this say that the value of their cars increased yet again, which is not wrong, but I'm not expecting to see any fair offers anytime soon.

I don't have any high hopes for the used market. Especially now with this free supercharging being removed, delusional owners will use this say that the value of their cars increased yet again, which is not wrong, but I'm not expecting to see any fair offers anytime soon.

No, the used market is plummeting. Just look at the threads complaining about the price cuts destroying value.

/sarcasm

No, the used market is plummeting. Just look at the threads complaining about the price cuts destroying value.

/sarcasm
That is the part that baffles me. The forum is flooded with people complaining that their car lost 30%+ value due to updated Tesla pricing. But at the exact same time they don't ever factor in that price drop when they go to list their car for sale. They all magically forget that Tesla pricing has changed and call everyone a troll that points out that their used car is nearly the same price as a brand new one.

Waiting for normal depreciation to show up to snag a 100D below $70k
I am in the exact same boat as you. A brand new white 2019 100D MX Raven 7 seater is $86k. So factoring in industry standard deprecation rate of about 15-20% first year and 10-15% per year after, the 2017 100Ds should be in the mid 60s. But then I go to the TMC used listings and the 2017 MX 100Ds are listed for 80-90k. It is common place here to see cars listed for more than a brand new model, even ones that were "lightly T-boned".