Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla warranty now has 8 year/infinite mile battery & drive unit warranty retroactive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a good thing. However, I wonder what this means to those of us who purchased the extended warranty already. Clarification on this would be welcome from Tesla.

It just means that the value of the extended warranty you purchased goes down a lot since the drive unit (motor,inverter,gearbox) is now covered under the basic warranty. Your extended warranty you purchased will cover things like the center console screen, air conditioner, etc. as the drive unit was the most expensive part outside of the battery pack, the extended warranty is really just not worth buying at all, especially for $4k. Very glad I did not purchase the extended warranty.

It just means that the value of the extended warranty you purchased goes down a lot since the drive unit (motor,inverter,gearbox) is now covered under the basic warranty. Your extended warranty you purchased will cover things like the center console screen, air conditioner, etc. as the drive unit was the most expensive part outside of the battery pack, the extended warranty is really just not worth buying at all, especially for $4k. Very glad I did not purchase the extended warranty.

Was just about to ask this... In theory, the extended warranty should become significantly cheaper, no?

Clearly you are correct, the value of the warranty goes down significantly. You can't make everybody happy all the time, of course, but it seems to me that Tesla could in this case by allowing anyone who already purchased the warranty to request a refund. I'm not really expecting it, but I will admit that I feel a trifle taken advantage of in hindsight.

That being said, it doesn't make me regret buying the car, nor will I stop recommending it to everyone I know and all the random people who ask me about it.

Tesla warranty now has 8 year/infinite mile battery & drive unit warranty ret...

So for those of us that already purchased the extended warranty to cover this off, what becomes of us? I doubt we'll get a refund, as there are other things to warranty. But should we get another year or two extension? Don't get me wrong, I really like this news, but there seems to be a disparity in the situation somewhere.

This is great news indeed.

I was planning to buy the extended warranty when I got closer to the 4 mark (why buy before that?) mainly to cover the drive unit. I still might buy it for the other items covered, but hopefully at a lower price...

I forget if us "40" owners got the 125k mile battery warranty or the original 100k. Either way this is great news! I thought for sure I would be needing the extended warranty after hearing about the cost of the drive unit out of warranty. Not that small items can't be ridiculously expensive, like LED DRLs going out, the screen, computer etc. But those parts are much less likely to have issues after the initial burn in. The AC unit is probably going to be the next most likely thing to have issues down the road. This company continues to amaze me with how great they are. The "40" really was the best deal on the planet.

There are also the DC-DC converter and chargers. If any of those fail after the original warranty period, the extended warranty is paid for.

th_bowdown.gif
Awesome, Elon!!