Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla warranty now has 8 year/infinite mile battery & drive unit warranty retroactive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the batteries are swappable, the "drive unit" is independent of the battery. Or do you lose the "infinite mileage" drive unit warranty if you swap your 85 kWh battery for a 60 kWh battery? I think the infinite miles on the drive unit should really be for any Model S.

Im not entirely convinced on the 60 warranty situation. The email they sent to me goes to great lengths to specify retroactive to 85. And they know I own a 60

Today, Tesla announced that the Model S drive unit warranty has been increased to match that of the battery pack. That means the 85 kWh Model S now has an 8 year, infinite mile warranty on both the battery pack and drive unit. Moreover, the warranty extension will apply retroactively to all 85 kWh Model S vehicles ever produced.

No other changes have been made to the warranty.

so where exactly do I know what the changes to the 60 are?

Im not entirely convinced on the 60 warranty situation. The email they sent to me goes to great lengths to specify retroactive to 85. And they know I own a 60

so where exactly do I know what the changes to the 60 are?

From the design center:

design_center.jpg

Soon after the last ER when Elon said the Drivetrain problems were nothing more than loose plastic tie and a missing shim worth 50c, I made a sarcastic comment in another thread, '... then there should be no problem for Tesla to provide a 150k miles drive train warranty, right?'

Now Elon has made me look like a dork !!

But here is my concern though. A small percentage of owners who drive fleets or taxis might drive up the warranty costs so much, this decision may come back to hurt a tesla later. I hope this was a carefully considered decision.

It would have been better to limit the warranty to 200k miles which would have pleased everyone, and would have been an insurance against those business owners who rake up extraordinary high mileage. But of course not made a flashy headline though.

Tesla warranty now has 8 year/infinite mile battery & drive unit warranty ret...

Tesla might do something for those who paid for the extended warranty. One local owner just called Tesla who replied that's already been in discussion and that they'll call back later next week when they decide what their going to do about it.

Who knows. I can't see them issuing refunds. Maybe you'll get free hardware upgrades?? (giggle)

Soon after the last ER when Elon said the Drivetrain problems were nothing more than loose plastic tie and a missing shim worth 50c, I made a sarcastic comment in another thread, '... then there should be no problem for Tesla to provide a 150k miles drive train warranty, right?'

Now Elon has made me look like a dork !!

But here is my concern though. A small percentage of owners who drive fleets or taxis might drive up the warranty costs so much, this decision may come back to hurt a tesla later. I hope this was a carefully considered decision.

It would have been better to limit the warranty to 200k miles which would have pleased everyone, and would have been an insurance against those business owners who rake up extraordinary high mileage. But of course not made a flashy headline though.

I don't think that warranty applies for commercial use.

Excellent news.

That should put to rest any fears and doubts prospective owners may have developed due to the news of drivetrain failures popping up over the past few weeks. Even better, I think it demonstrates clearly that the drivetrain issues are really as minor as Elon has stated (missing zip ties and .50 cent shims) rather than some deep seated, hard to fix engineering issue.