Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla Will Move HQ Out of California After Fight Against Health Order

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk said on Twitter Saturday that the company will move its headquarters and “future operations” out of California. Additionally, Tesla plans to file a lawsuit against Alameda County over a health order that shut down the Fremont, Calif. facility.

Tesla planned to return to production on Friday, however Alameda County’s interim public health officer, Dr. Erica Pan said that Tesla must keep the plant closed until the county lifts restrictions in place to slow the spread of COVID-19.

Musk said the suit will be filed “immediately.” He called Pan “ignorant” for keeping the restrictions in place despite California Gov. Gavin Newsom loosening the stay-at-home order.

“This is the final straw,” Musk tweeted. “Tesla will now move its HQ and future programs to Texas/Nevada immediately. If we even retain Fremont manufacturing activity at all, it will be dependen on how Tesla is treated in the future. Tesla is the last carmaker left in CA.”

The tweet suggests that Tesla’s next factory is set to be built in Texas. Musk has teased the Lone Star State as the home for the next factory and an announcement was expected soon.

Tesla’s factory in Fremont has 5.3 million square feet of manufacturing and office space on 370 acres of land, with plans to expand to 10 million square feet, according to the company’s website.

There are 10,000 employees at the Fremont factory who build the Tesla Model S, Model X, and Model 3.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know what else Elon Musk is talking about in regards to "this being the last straw"? What else have they done to Tesla (traffic?)?

Obviously it is in the details, which add up, but what are those details?

Traffic is not 100% CA's fault, but it sure is a good reason to move.

Wow. I worked the Space Shuttle, DC10/KC10, the B1, B2, C17, etc.

You must be young. Don't worry, you grow out of it.

let me be more specific (you are right, it was too general). you are referring more to socal. I'm referring to norcal.

for those not from the west coast, those are more like two different states.

so, I'll give you that one. socal is more of what you are describing; and I admit I'm not a socal guy. all my experience in cali has been the bay area and any manuf is incidental and more like prototype shops and small runs.

oh, and I wish I was young. I'm actually not all that far from retirement, to give you a hint.

let me be more specific (you are right, it was too general). you are referring more to socal. I'm referring to norcal.

for those not from the west coast, those are more like two different states.

so, I'll give you that one. socal is more of what you are describing; and I admit I'm not a socal guy. all my experience in cali has been the bay area and any manuf is incidental and more like prototype shops and small runs.

oh, and I wish I was young. I'm actually not all that far from retirement, to give you a hint.

There used to be quite a bit of heavy manufacturing in the Bay Area. For example, read up on Henry Kaiser, Kaiser Steel, and all the marine manufacturing that was all around the Bay. Only a few bits remain. Kaiser Medical is actually an outgrowth of Henry Kaisers employee wellness program. Then there was all the aerospace stuff in the 1950s through the 1990s. A few hidden bits remain in Sunnyvale, but not much.

Chevrolet had a manufacturing plant in Oakland for many decades. Now a shopping mall. Dodge had a manufacturing plant in San Leandro. I think it is now a shopping mall. Ford had a manufacturing plant near the Tesla Fremont plant. Now a shopping mall. Then of course the GM plant in Fremont that became NUMMI with Toyota. Now Tesla. Maybe a future shopping mall?

• Informative
Reactions: TechOps and vickh
Here's my prediction on what will happen:

(Let's assume for a moment that the new corporate HQ is going to be Austin.)

- HQ will move to a temporary office space in Austin, and build a new HQ campus in a nearby suburb. (Maybe this is already in the planning stages).
This means Finance & Accounting, Legal, HR, CEO's office, Product Management, Investor Relations, Sales and Marketing, Retail / Service, and all other corporate functions move there.

- Palo Alto will remain as a major engineering center, now with less crowding due to a lot of additional space freed up
Engineers will be offered a standard relocation package to Austin, and based on their group, will be allowed to stay in Palo Alto or accept the generous package to move.

- A new engineering center will be established in Austin at the new HQ. Recruiting will begin for this, and new programs will be primarily staffed here. Existing teams may move in bulk if the manager and team members all agree. An example of this is hardware design. Austin is a mecca for hardware design engineers, and the HW 3.0 is being fabbed in Austin already.

- Giga/Tera Texas will simultaneously being construction somewhere between Austin and San Antonio, in a more rural area with large open land and industrial type zoning, maybe 20-30 miles from new HQ (like Palo Alto / Fremont setup).
We can assume that this is already well underway, and a site is most likely under contract, given Elon's threat/promise tweets.

- Key production employees will be given generous relocation packages to Texas. Given their blue collar manufacturing jobs and salary levels, many will take it. The quality of life improvement for them will be dramatic. Those who were renting 2BR/2BA homes in the east bay (or all the way out towards Tracy) and having long commutes, will now be able to live close to work and purchase brand new 4BR/3BA tract homes in new developments. Their kids' school districts will be dramatically better and their purchasing power will be considerably better in the greater Austin area.

- Fremont will continue production at least for the next year, and then new programs such as CT will start in Texas. Mainstream scaleout production for e.g. Model 3, Y will move to Texas, which frees up space for more specialty programs like Roadster 2.0, and Model S/X which have lower production numbers, will remain in Fremont.

- Once Texas is scaled up and operating at larger production volumes, it gives more operational freedom to shift programs, and Maybe Tera Texas 2, or another location, could be set up, allowing Tesla to mothball and sell Fremont. I see that happening in 2-3 years, if it happens.

I moved from the Bay Area, where I lived for over 20 years and worked as a computer engineer and software / hardware designer, to Austin, a year and a half ago. There's a large talent pool in Austin, and Facebook, Google, Apple, Oracle, Samsung, Intel, AMD, and many, many other tech companies are here and investing billions of dollars in expansion. It's just weird enough to be fun for progressives, but not sanctimonious and PC-police/SJW to be offputting to middle of the road engineers who aren't interested in politics. Also very easy to do remote work between Austin/Bay Area, with a 2 hour time difference and multiple direct flights per day.

By the way, these are all my own guesses based on what I've observed publicly. I don't have any inside knowledge or friends who work at Tesla.

These aren't guesses or predictions, they are only what Elon has already talked about. He said that he is moving the HQ "immediately" which means that it is not a threat, not something under consideration.

In regards to shutting down Fremont, CA, I think that there is no practical way to move an operational production line. The value of the cars the cars being produced over time exceeds the cost of all the machines. The low-skilled workers won't be paid to relocate (rather they will hire and train new), keeping both.

The Fremont statement is more of a threat focused on getting the plant reopened. Not an empty threat if the shutdown lasts indefinitely, but if things resolve in the next 4 weeks everything should be fine.

It also is a mass audience insult to California. That alone will have them thinking and acting more than the threat itself.

Last edited:
My hope and guess is that cooler heads will prevail. The county will set some requirements for spacing and PPE that Tesla can meet, Tesla will meet them, and the factory will reopen. After all GM just revamping their factories to meet the spacing and PPE requirements. I am pretty sure Tesla can do the same.

Reactions: TESLER2013
Tesla Getting-back-to-work plan. It is a interesting read if you have some time.

Getting Back to Work

I have been told previously that not returning phone calls and e-mails is expected behavior from un-elected bay area bureaucrats.

Contrary to the Governor’s recent guidance and support from the City of Fremont, Alameda County is insisting we should not resume operations. This is not for lack of trying or transparency since we have met with and collaborated on our restart plans with the Alameda County Health Care Services Agency. Unfortunately, the County Public Health Officer who is making these decisions has not returned our calls or emails.

Tesla Getting-back-to-work plan. It is a interesting read if you have some time.

Getting Back to Work

I have been told previously that not returning phone calls and e-mails is expected behavior from un-elected bay area bureaucrats.

Contrary to the Governor’s recent guidance and support from the City of Fremont, Alameda County is insisting we should not resume operations. This is not for lack of trying or transparency since we have met with and collaborated on our restart plans with the Alameda County Health Care Services Agency. Unfortunately, the County Public Health Officer who is making these decisions has not returned our calls or emails.
Remember though, Alameda county was first to implement stay at home restrictions. Faster than any other county or state. That is the reason Alameda county has only 70 deaths. Look it up. That's for a population more than 3 million including me. I will let ALAMEDA COUNTY decide what's best as opposed to Elon. Sorry. That's my opinion. And because our county is safe, I am in HUGE APPRECIATION to my officials.

Getting Back to Work

CNBC headline : Tesla says it will resume operations. Here is the company's plan to bring employees back to work

Remember though, Alameda county was first to implement stay at home restrictions. Faster than any other county or state. That is the reason Alameda county has only 70 deaths. Look it up. That's for a population more than 3 million including me. I will let ALAMEDA COUNTY decide what's best as opposed to Elon. Sorry. That's my opinion. And because our county is safe, I am in HUGE APPRECIATION to my officials.

Alameda county demographics? Wealth age, health etc?

• Disagree
Reactions: TESLER2013

You think it is ok for officials to not return phone calls and e-mails from one of the largest employers in the county?

Call me old fashion, but not returning phone calls and e-mails means to me that you are not doing your job properly.

You think it is ok for officials to not return phone calls and e-mails from one of the largest employers in the county?

Call me old fashion, but not returning phone calls and e-mails means to me that you are not doing your job properly.
I could easily defend them for no reason but I won't. Who cares. They are in charge. We elected them to do what they do in these times. Same with everything else, if you don't like their performance, vote.

Alameda county demographics? Wealth age, health etc?

All over the map. Western urban areas have lower incomes (median under $75K), median home price 650K, and 6% unemployment. Some suburbs to the east have higher incomes (median 150K+), median house price over $1.2M, and under 2% unemployment. 20 mile difference.