Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla Will Move HQ Out of California After Fight Against Health Order

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk said on Twitter Saturday that the company will move its headquarters and “future operations” out of California. Additionally, Tesla plans to file a lawsuit against Alameda County over a health order that shut down the Fremont, Calif. facility.

Tesla planned to return to production on Friday, however Alameda County’s interim public health officer, Dr. Erica Pan said that Tesla must keep the plant closed until the county lifts restrictions in place to slow the spread of COVID-19.

Musk said the suit will be filed “immediately.” He called Pan “ignorant” for keeping the restrictions in place despite California Gov. Gavin Newsom loosening the stay-at-home order.

“This is the final straw,” Musk tweeted. “Tesla will now move its HQ and future programs to Texas/Nevada immediately. If we even retain Fremont manufacturing activity at all, it will be dependen on how Tesla is treated in the future. Tesla is the last carmaker left in CA.”

The tweet suggests that Tesla’s next factory is set to be built in Texas. Musk has teased the Lone Star State as the home for the next factory and an announcement was expected soon.

Tesla’s factory in Fremont has 5.3 million square feet of manufacturing and office space on 370 acres of land, with plans to expand to 10 million square feet, according to the company’s website.

There are 10,000 employees at the Fremont factory who build the Tesla Model S, Model X, and Model 3.

Last edited by a moderator:
Elon Musk should just tell Alameda County he wants a Covid-19 test for every one of his employees. As soon as the test results come back that employee can go back to work.
Respectfully, that would not work as employees would go home to being exposed to any virus that may have come into his/her house at some point. Daily testing is not what is happening as test results take a long time to get a result.

• Disagree
Reactions: WarpedOne
Respectfully, that would not work as employees would go home to being exposed to any virus that may have come into his/her house at some point. Daily testing is not what is happening as test results take a long time to get a result.
Why not give everyone a full test before opening the plant ? At least you would have a good starting point.

Then everyday do a temp scan as people enter the building. Anyone with a fever gets sent to the health department for another full test. Everyone else goes to work.

The testing procedure is getting better all the time. For example.
Utah DNA company says it developed cutting-edge saliva test for COVID-19

Remember though, Alameda county was first to implement stay at home restrictions. Faster than any other county or state. That is the reason Alameda county has only 70 deaths. Look it up. That's for a population more than 3 million including me. I will let ALAMEDA COUNTY decide what's best as opposed to Elon. Sorry. That's my opinion. And because our county is safe, I am in HUGE APPRECIATION to my officials.

I'll see your 70 deaths with a population of 1.6 Million -- where do you get 3? - and raise you with 76 deaths in a population of 3.2 M in The OC, i.e., twice the population but only a handful of more deaths. And before Newsom went nuclear (or jealous?), all beaches were open.

County health officials are generally not elected.

Telser2013: how/why did you disagree with this post? Pursuant to California law, Counties are required to employ an MD as Health Officer and that position is hired by the County Heath Care Admin or Exec, and approved by the Board of Supervisors. Health Officer is NOT an elected postion, which 2 seconds of googling would have shown you.

Reactions: vickh
I'll see your 70 deaths with a population of 1.6 Million -- where do you get 3? - and raise you with 76 deaths in a population of 3.2 M in The OC, i.e., twice the population but only a handful of more deaths. And before Newsom went nuclear (or jealous?), all beaches were open.
Hey man. You're right! I'm sorry. I though Alameda County was 3 mil. I think it's 1.6 - 1.8mil like you said. Carry on!

• Funny
Telser2013: how/why did you disagree with this post? Pursuant to California law, Counties are required to employ an MD as Health Officer and that position is hired by the County Heath Care Admin or Exec. Health Officer is NOT an elected postion, which 2 seconds of googling would have shown you.
To be honest, I did not know the details on this, however I naively thought that somehow it ties in to how we vote. I guess not? But regardless, they are the ones to make the decisions right? As George Bush said, they are the "deciders"?

exactly.. People love to correlate data to match their views. and this time with data that is off by a factor of 2. Funny he asked me to google my question /s

Meanwhile most deaths in NY were people who were home bound. Cuomo says it's 'shocking' most new coronavirus hospitalizations are people who had been staying home

Elon knows what he's doing maybe better than the "safe than sorry" crowd https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...Tesla-Return-to-Work-Playbook.pdf?redirect=no

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: TESLER2013
I don't know if Silicon Valley is truly the Olympus of the Tech Gods, but if the attitudes expressed in many of these posts are representative, they've sure got the arrogance for it!

Seriously, though, if Tesla moves their tech center, can people who really don't want to move not telecommute? Seems like there is a lot of that going on recently.

let me try to explain yet again.

the attraction of the bay area is because 'this is where the action is'. and so, it attracts those who want to play in the major leagues, with all that entails (its dog-eat-dog, true; and its expensive as hell to live here, also true). and yet, you have the pick of the pick, for jobs and companies in high tech. cars are the new high tech and there's more concentration of new school car companies in silicon valley than anywhere else in the US; maybe the world (china is close or maybe exceeding us, as they had significant government financial backing, encouraging more to enter the market).

but no one, en masse, moves TO china to join a high tech company. the opposite is true: people flock from china, india, europe to come to the bay area and be part of the next wave of automotive invention.

so, we have a 'gravity' situation where there is the highest concentration of companies in this new field and we have tons of people coming to live here, to take part in that. we also have a welcoming culture where we let people be themselves and not force them into molds. I do think this progressive mentality is largely responsible for the continued success and innovation of the bay area.

what we are not saying is that people born and raised here are somehow more 'special' than other areas of the country. smart people can be smart anywhere and born anywhere. OF COURSE. but the point is that the ones who want to push the edge, go where the research and work is - and that's (still) silicon valley.

other areas of the country have tried, over the last decades, to be the next silicon valley. it never works. the inhertia is just too strong - the infrastructure, the history, even the weather - its all hard to beat elsewhere in the country.

this is where the action is. you can dislike that fact but its a fact, nonetheless.

Yet, California still has the strongest economy in the US at #5 in the world. It pays more in federal tax dollars than it receives, to be redistributed to the red states in the form of welfare, food stamps, and low income subsidies. California has some of the highest property values in the nation for a reason. People love living there and love that the government looks out for the citizenry before big corporations.

Elon Musk has shown his immaturity many times. This is nothing new. He is an impetuous, selfish, entitled corporate buffoon who can't manage his way out of a paper bag. Tesla is successful despite him.

Reactions: TESLER2013
Yet, California still has the strongest economy in the US at #5 in the world. It pays more in federal tax dollars than it receives, to be redistributed to the red states in the form of welfare, food stamps, and low income subsidies. California has some of the highest property values in the nation for a reason. People love living there and love that the government looks out for the citizenry before big corporations.

Elon Musk has shown his immaturity many times. This is nothing new. He is an impetuous, selfish, entitled corporate buffoon who can't manage his way out of a paper bag. Tesla is successful despite him.

I live in CA. We are here because of family only at this point. I can make the same or more in Dallas and my wife wouldn't have to work at all. CA is now seeing population decrease and its largely a result of the high taxes and crazy cost of living. We certainly wont be retiring here and I would love to leave before then as well. The sunny weather isnt worth the over population and the extra pay isnt worth the extra cost.

Where the heck is this graphic made? I don't see 26% homeless around me. Matter of fact. I don't see any homeless in my city. This is fake. People who don't even live in California are having visions.

I find your post dubious. How can you be in Dublin and be unaware of the conditions in SF. My wife and I used to head to SF all the time for getaways from LA and eventually stopped because the city was getting so bad. From the minute you get off the plane and hop on the BART you are accosted by transients. It was enough to drive us away for sure which is disappointing since its such a beautiful part of the country.

In our part of the state things got so bad from the homeless that LA city hall was infested with typus carrying rats and fleas.

• Informative
Where the heck is this graphic made? I don't see 26% homeless around me. Matter of fact. I don't see any homeless in my city. This is fake. People who don't even live in California are having visions.

Out in Dublin, you probably have your blinders on. Go to downtown Oakland. Or SF. Or parts of San Jose. One of my sons lived in SF a couple years ago for the summer and was totally disgusted with the place.

• Informative
Odd that he mentions Texas and Nevada. Those have always been the locations that I consider full of California failures. Decades of living in CA has taught me that, for the most part, people that were mediocre or worse in their field, or the folks that worked in dying careers that are being supplanted by automation don't leave California. They fail out of California to Texas and Nevada. I consider almost every Californian that I have even known that moved to Texas and Nevada an abject failure that has given up on trying to be at the top of their game.

I suppose in the past quite a few customers decided to buy a Tesla because it was promoted by a visionary who supposedly wanted to do something positive for the environment.
I wonder how many members of Tesla's target group in Europe will have to convince themselves to buy a Tesla despite its association with Musk in the future. Right-wing, Trumpist Twitter meltdowns tend to go down like a lead balloon among well off environmentally conscious people in Europe.
I'm looking forward to see his first meltdown when he is being confronted by a works council in Germany.