Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla Will Move HQ Out of California After Fight Against Health Order

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk said on Twitter Saturday that the company will move its headquarters and “future operations” out of California. Additionally, Tesla plans to file a lawsuit against Alameda County over a health order that shut down the Fremont, Calif. facility.

Tesla planned to return to production on Friday, however Alameda County’s interim public health officer, Dr. Erica Pan said that Tesla must keep the plant closed until the county lifts restrictions in place to slow the spread of COVID-19.

Musk said the suit will be filed “immediately.” He called Pan “ignorant” for keeping the restrictions in place despite California Gov. Gavin Newsom loosening the stay-at-home order.

“This is the final straw,” Musk tweeted. “Tesla will now move its HQ and future programs to Texas/Nevada immediately. If we even retain Fremont manufacturing activity at all, it will be dependen on how Tesla is treated in the future. Tesla is the last carmaker left in CA.”

The tweet suggests that Tesla’s next factory is set to be built in Texas. Musk has teased the Lone Star State as the home for the next factory and an announcement was expected soon.

Tesla’s factory in Fremont has 5.3 million square feet of manufacturing and office space on 370 acres of land, with plans to expand to 10 million square feet, according to the company’s website.

There are 10,000 employees at the Fremont factory who build the Tesla Model S, Model X, and Model 3.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk said on Twitter Saturday that the company will move its headquarters and “future operations” out of California. Additionally, Tesla plans to file a lawsuit against Alameda County over a health order that shut down the Fremont, Calif. facility. Tesla planned to return to production on Friday, however Alameda County’s interim...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2020/05/09/tesla-will-move-hq-out-of-california-after-fight-against-health-order/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]
@elonmusk your not only the father of a newborn you're the father of all the @tesla loyal employees and their families at #Fremont Factory who have stuck with you since the beginning. Stop scaring them and threatening to move and end their livelihoods.

I dumped MOST of my Tesla stock this morning. Here's a logical man who's a scientist. He should be able to understand epidimiology. If his work force goes to work and some get sick and die, who is going to make the cars? Same in every other industry. He can wait 2 more weeks. Also threatening to take your football and go home is the sign of a childish attitude. If he moves to Texas he's going to spend alot of money which will erode the stock value. Innovate. show California how you can make a safe car manufacuring facility. And as far as fascism goes he should know what fascism looks like.South Africa wasn't a Utopia when he was growing up

I suppose in the past quite a few customers decided to buy a Tesla because it was promoted by a visionary who supposedly wanted to do something positive for the environment.
I wonder how many members of Tesla's target group in Europe will have to convince themselves to buy a Tesla despite its association with Musk in the future. Right-wing, Trumpist Twitter meltdowns tend to go down like a lead balloon among well off environmentally conscious people in Europe.
I'm looking forward to see his first meltdown when he is being confronted by a works council in Germany.

Good point. Aren't workers represented on the board in Germany? Here Elon mainly has his proponents

#1- Newson claimed Tesla hadn't delivered any ventilators to hospitals in CA when Tesla actually had delivered ventilators to Hospitals who ked for them and confirmation from hospitals in CA saying they had been delivered. Musk went out and bought these ventilators in China and had them sent to CA at no cost to the state. Newson then turns around and kicks Musk in the balls. Not a great way to say thanks.

#2- A CPAP/BiPAP machine is a ventilator, just a non-invasive one. You have invasive and non-invasive ventilators. Musk had bought both types in China.[/QUote

I excuse Tesla on the ventilators issue... After all, if you are put on a ventilator, your chance of dying is between 80 and 90% (97% for those over 65). The ventilators overpressurize the lungs and ruin them. Of course, hospitals get more money per patient when put on ventilators so the fact they are defacto murdering people is to them, irrelevant.

Now SpaceX blanketing the earth with FyveG satellite launches is another story, as hundreds of scientists have said it is a dangerous technology, and death rates are higher in FyveG areas... Its also interesting the symptoms of FyveG exactly mimic Covid-19. Now that's convenient. Defenders of either FyveG, or the silly response to Covid-19 can justify horrible government actions on the other, and keep doing what they are doing.

Elon is seriously hurting Tesla's case here.

If Tesla can make a case that they can partially (or fully) reopen their facilities, they should make the case and provide the plan.

If he thinks the local County is wrongly blocking that plan, he can appeal to the Governor or, possibly, to the State courts. Though the Governor is the right place.
The appeal should be based on the science and be supportable on public health grounds.

But ranting about the inadequate and unpopular suggestions of an unpopular President doesn't buy him a damn thing.

And there's no Constitutional angle here, as the USA has a long legal history with quarantines, especially from the 18th and 19th centuries.

Nope, not true: "....And there's no Constitutional angle here, as the USA has a long legal history with quarantines, especially from the 18th and 19th centuries...."

The sick traditionally have been quarantined, a society never does that with healthy people.

Maybe Musk is mad that Gavin stopped lavishing him with praise in every press briefing? Ever since the 'those aren't really ventilators' embarrassment. Hope he doesn't calling Newsom a 'pedo guy'.

I feel bad for Grimes. She has two babies to feed now... one with milk, the other with ego.
Except the other baby can be put to sleep after feeding. Move HQ to Texas and staffs can pack side arms to work, imagine that...

Mortality rate is 2.4% or worse. NY State's rate of death from COVID-19 on a confirmed diagnosis is around 9%, though is generally believed that 2 to 3 times as many people have the disease as know about it.

That of course includes those murdered by the hospital, as the death rate for being put on a ventilator is 80-90%, (97% for those over 65), and at least 1 doctor has quit a NYC hospital due to wanting no part of what is transpiring - which the hospitals do since they get the highest payment if they put patients on a ventilator.

• Disagree
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Musk is loosing customers and friends by his childish rants. He sounds like an idiot instead of a genius. I suggest he learn some virology, put his big boy pants on and be an adult.

I really want my RWD TeslaY but not at the expense of lives and health of others.Oh and the Fremont plant won't be moved cuz it would be far too costly for Tesla. I agree with the employees who say that Musk's role should be restricted to ideas, leaving implementation to those who are expert at it.

If the plan Musk presented to the county is insufficient then he needs to fix it, if he presented no plan he needs to get his head out of his quarterly earnings projections and back to reality. I would like him to sign an agreement that he will provide all necessary financial aid to any employees who test positive after returning to work. This means paying for quarantine facilities and contact tracing, medical bills and paying people's salaries until they are well again. If they die then he has to pay remaining family members.

I understand that there Musk has many libertarian followers, but SARS2 doesn't care about your political beliefs. Good luck out there boys.

@elonmusk your not only the father of a newborn you're the father of all the @tesla loyal employees and their families at #Fremont Factory who have stuck with you since the beginning. Stop scaring them and threatening to move and end their livelihoods.
As someone who knows multiple Tesla admins at the plant I appreciate your post! And you are in Oregon? Kuddos

• Love
Reactions: blissdancer
Actions speak louder than words. Anybody care to bet that the Fremont factory actually closes and/or Tesla HQ actually moves before Dec. 31 2021? I'll bet both remain in operation exactly where they are despite Elon's tweet. My take: he's using Twitter to attempt to pressure public health officials and he has no intent to actually re-locate HQ or close the Fremont plant.

It is just a threat. If Tesla moves out of CA then 75% of it's top scientists and engineers will leave Tesla and start their new startup in Silicon Valley.

no need. just join one of over a dozen already here and already on their way toward various self-driving solutions, or components that contribute.

people are changing jobs a lot, right now, in this industry. I know at least 4 people that changed from one self-driving tech company to another, all during the lock-down. they interviewed, got offers, gave notice and left - all without physical interviews (its a new world, all video, I guess).

anyone who did anything tech related at tesla could find jobs at the other bay area companies. its hard to believe that people are job-changing a lot, right now, but its really going on.

elon will not be able to move enough of his key engineers away from the bay area. he should be smart enough to know this.

Out in Dublin, you probably have your blinders on. Go to downtown Oakland. Or SF. Or parts of San Jose. One of my sons lived in SF a couple years ago for the summer and was totally disgusted with the place.
If you followed the thread. The poster says that 26 or 27 percent of Californians have experienced homelessness. I disagreed with that. I didn't say Oakland, San Jose, SF, and LA didn't have homeless problems. "Go to downtown Oakland", no you do that lol and I"m glad your son moved out of SF. Tell him to move to Dublin.

You reap what you sow. California will run off most of it's working class and companies. It is hard to have sympathy for Musk though. California has been like this for a decade now. Hopefully he will move SpaceX out too! Bring it to Florida! We appreciate the business.

Oh I doubt Tesla would come to Florida where science and data are not appreciated. Florida simply isn't a source for intelligent employees. California is and had been for many decades. Hiding the number of deaths from SARS2? Really.

As for the working class of California, you know nada cuz no wants to leave sweet Cali. Tesla will not leave Cali regardless of Musk's antics. It is not a win for them if they do so and the company knows that. They are used to dealing with baby Musk boy's tantrums.

If you followed the thread. The poster says that 26 or 27 percent of Californians have experienced homelessness. I disagreed with that. I didn't say Oakland, San Jose, SF, and LA didn't have homeless problems. "Go to downtown Oakland", no you do that lol and I"m glad your son moved out of SF. Tell him to move to Dublin.

He was only in SF for a summer co-op for college. So he was always going to be a short timer. Although he enjoyed the co-op, he was very happy to leave SF.

Reactions: TESLER2013
There is a reason automotive plants are being built in the red states.
You are absolutely right. Red states have hundreds of thousands of people willing to compromise the quality of their air, water, land, medical care, and overall quality of life in order to enjoy their "freedoms" and low-wage jobs. Better there than here. Red states, we salute you! Sal-ute!