Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Y & towing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's a fair amount of weight on the hitch. Probably the equivalent to a tongue weight of 500 lbs or more. Usually they say you want roughly 10% of trailer weight on the tongue. Not saying the Y could tow 5000 pounds, but the hitch looks like it could take it.

Sreet bikes could weigh 500+ lbs. (I had a BMW K1000LT that weighed 650). But the tires on that bike are dirt tires; many dirt bikes are around 250 lbs.

• Informative
Reactions: HyperionMark
The difference in legal systems can be seen in two similar but opposite expressions:
- "Det finnes ikke lov..."
and
- "There aughtta be a law..."

På Norsk, "There is no law" , the assumption is that the missing law will explicitly permit something (vs. implicit prohibition). In American English, "There aught'ta be a law", the assumption is that the missing law would prohibit something (vs. implicit permissiveness).

There actually is a Norwegian law (Bilforskriften) covering this:

§ 16.Krav til bil og tilhenger til bil/utstyr i bruk
Bil og tilhenger til bil/samt godkjenningspliktig utstyr i bruk skal opprettholdes i slik utførelse/vedlikeholdes slik at de til en hver tid tilfredsstiller de krav som gjaldt ved første gangs registrering.

Translation:
§ 16. Requirements for cars and trailers for cars / equipment in use Vehicles and trailers for cars / as well as equipment that is subject to approval must be maintained in such design / maintained so that they at all times meet the requirements that applied at the first registration.

So, if not included when first registration of vehicle was done - it's a big forget it according to the law.

• Helpful
Reactions: lmmo
I have an e-mail saying that I can order the Y but I'm passing because of no tow package. The lack of a tow option is a deal breaker for me. I have a small boat that I frequently tow so no towing means no purchase. The Model Y is “supposed” to be a small SUV or CUV not simply a Model 3 hatchback. Most competitors in this vehicle class have a trailers hitch option.
I doubt that I'm the only one in this predicament so others like me need to start hollering so that whomever is in charge of this decision will get a clue. Holler way........

I'm holding off ordering a Y until it's confirmed that there will be a factory hitch/tow option. I will be moving house in the next few years and want to do a self-move with a Uhaul trailer (4,400lb max). I don't have 2,500 pounds of stuff (wife and I are minimalists) so we'll be under 4,000 pounds. Looks like Uhaul wants 3,500lb rating minimum on the tow vehicle.
U-Haul Equipment specifications: 6' x 12' Cargo Trailer

If you believe Tesmanian's post, this is confirmation that MY will have towing capability, although more details are still needed. Powered hatch also confirmed.
Exclusive Tesla Model Y Dimensions, Weight and Performance Off-Road
Source is an "anonymous reader" - photos of MY spec pages look authentic.
The “if equipped” part is concerning given there is no selectable towing option in the US. Could they be making it an after-delivery option like Homelink, I wonder?

This was shared in a photo group I'm in.
jEe1Ud1nTyx9ivSEUYhC4lmDggG09i3zDDdKv0RLhIxxnqZaQEBJuXh3ypgrOZ3SWbQp4cvyK37auU6EVwX1WTGdT1v5A5s_TjQCK3JFlwknjnA1MruPZE-0kJ8Dvn_ppMWbaRuBrA=w960-h720-no
I have done this with my Model S, carried my Zero FX Motorcycle, pulled the batteries out and it only weighed ~151 lbs. adding the two power cells adds about another 100 pounds. I just put them in the frunk to balance the load.

• Love
Reactions: MitchMitch
Finally a picture of that area.

I agree it's what's behind that counts. If the leaked user guide is correct, it might be a post-delivery option like Homelink. We'll see. A bumper cutout pretty much guarantees its either pre-installed or an option, though, which is great!

Hopefully it's not a post delivery option like the Model X tow package was. For a long time the Model X tow package was out of stock with no known in stock date. I think it was out of stock for almost a year? I had to resort to buying a used tow package and install it myself since Tesla couldn't say when it would be back in stock after waiting several months.