Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla YANKED FSD option without notice - Class Action lawsuit? Any Lawyers here? [Resolved]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
they are acquiring my supercharging status along with the vehicle that they are buying. They would be incorrect.

...... and you, as an honest and well informed seller would not do anything that would (mis) represent that free super charing would pass to a new owner. Better still, you would hopefully make it clear to them exactly what they are getting if they buy your car - to the best of your knowledge / ability.

getting an unlimited data plan by merely purchasing the phone. They would be incorrect.

Phones are now a completely different model. With SIM cards, your contract clearly follows the SIM and not the phone hardware - although it doesn't feel very long ago to me that phones were absolutely attached to the service provider and did not have SIM cards.

Further more, the phone situation clearly separates the phone hardware from a subscription based service.

It would actually be pretty cool if all applicable software features followed the driver / account owner through their phone so that whatever Tesla you drove would give you the features you subscribed to that were supported by that car.

Personally, I prefer these features to belong to the car and stay with it. If the car gets written off though, I can see interested parties (insurance Co, owner) might have a good argument that the value of the feature should transfer to a replacement vehicle.

I am so sorry but Jalopnik is 100% accurate. I am the OP, and I do have all the required proofs. It is very simple - Tesla sold the car at the auction without mentioning removing EAP/FSD (have a doc) on 11/15, 3 days later "conducted the audit" (have a doc), in December Tesla sent the software update and removed those options (have a doc), this happened while I put a deposit for the car, the dealer sold the car to me, and I realized those options are gone after I have signed a bill of sale(yes, very stupid of me).
So, now, tell us please if it is not " a pretty shitty thing to do, a craven attempt to double-dip and get money for the same features every time the car is re-sold." !

I think what happened to you sucks, and right or wrong Tesla did something that was harmful to everyone, including themselves. But I"m not sure that "without mentioning removing EAP/FSD" means? Do you have a doc (from Tesla) that clearly says they sold the car to the dealer with FSD?

From what I've read (at length) these features (on balance) belong to the car, and therefore to the present owner of the car. In essence, they should be inseparable once sold together as part of a specific vehicle.

The moving of features from EAP to FSD raises the question of what happens to EAP if Tesla decides that it nolonger exists as a product. Tesla can argue that since an EAP car was never upgrade as a paid upgrade to FSD, FSD features should be removed from EAP cars. It's all way too messy. Once a car is sold to an end user, if no fraud has taken place, then that should remain the minimum spec of the car for life. Even if a feature were disabled for some reason, the fact that the car is entitled to that feature should remain on the car's record for life.

Agreed about ownership. I bought FSD with my car, and if I sell it then I expect to be able to sell it with FSD (and get the $$$ as appropriate). But if I buy a car, then (say) change the wheels, I can sell it with the new wheels as long as I make it clear it doesnt have the original wheels. The issue here isnt what the car originally came with, it's what Tesla represented it as having when they resold it to the dealer later. It seems they did the equivalent of changing the wheels, which would be legitimate if the paperwork clearly stated that the car did not have FSD (no-one seems to know if that is the case).

What is sucky here is Tesla removing FSD after the car was sold. Even if they were legally entitled to do this, it was a dumb move from a corporate messaging perspective (as has now been shown, given the recent press).

A problem with these threads is that as
more posts get added on the end of the thread, that good news gets buried and the thread just rumbles on forever!

In this case it sounds as though there is a happy ending in sight and Tesla will correct what they will doubtless portray as a minor glitch in their system.

New posters should read post 433 before posting maybe?

You know, it just occurred to me. NADA would probably love to hear about cases like this and other people who had their FSD or other options stripped via OTA, as a good argument why Tesla should not be allowed to sell direct, or update their cars over-the-air without customer explicit consent (i.e. telling the customer everything the update will do). If you had to go to a dealer to get your FSD stripped, you'd have someone on your side fighting for you, and you could also just refuse the service.

Tesla should not be allowed to sell direct, or update their cars over-the-air without customer explicit consent (i.e. telling the customer everything the update will do).

I can live with Tesla selling direct despite some obvious conflicts of interest, as long as the system imposes some open control and regulation. It's not all roses with dealers, and it is a lot more mouths to feed.

I totally agree that even if there are critical safety updates, there must be a protocol that informs and at least attempts to get acknowledgement from the owner before changes are made to a car's software.

All, once again - Thank you all for your support and sympathy!
A couple of hours ago I have got a call from Elon! Just joking! It was a customer experience rep, she apologized for my troubles, told me that Tesla has restored all missed options cited a miscommunication and it was not intentionally!
I am out of town and away from my car till tomorrow and once back will confirm if at least EAP was restored. I will report back.

I have a feeling this will not end up on any news sites.

A couple of hours ago I have got a call from Elon! Just joking! It was a customer experience rep, she apologized for my troubles, told me that Tesla has restored all missed options cited a miscommunication and it was not intentionally!
I am out of town and away from my car till tomorrow and once back will confirm if at least EAP was restored. I will report back.
Unfortunately, as 8AM EDT it is still the same - no EAP/FSD option restored, sent a message to Tesla CSR. Will update all you, as well as Jalopnik once resolved.

• Informative
Reactions: Gixx1300R

Awesome news! We need more options for buttons to click here; like, love, or informative don't quite cut it. Need a relieved button.

A problem with these threads is that as
more posts get added on the end of the thread, that good news gets buried and the thread just rumbles on forever!

In this case it sounds as though there is a happy ending in sight and Tesla will correct what they will doubtless portray as a minor glitch in their system.

New posters should read post 433 before posting maybe?

Perhaps once it has been confirmed that OP did receive the removed options the moderator can retitle the post with "resolved"?

Wow! That is great. Good for you. Stinks that you had to go thru so much but the outcome was worth it. Tesla did the right thing and gave it to you. Good for Tesla too.

I think the admin should close this post and state the issue was resolved (once you confirm of-course) AND close the one I started (cause it's based on the same story).

Reactions: drtimhill
Wow! That is great. Good for you. Stinks that you had to go thru so much but the outcome was worth it. Tesla did the right thing and gave it to you. Good for Tesla too.

I think the admin should close this post and state the issue was resolved (once you confirm of-course) AND close the one I started (cause it's based on the same story).

Still not resolved until he actually has it in his car

Last edited:
Reactions: DeanP
The OP initially reported Tesla will remedy the issue but it hasn't hit the car via update to restore as of today.

This is a huge issue. If I buy and pay for all my upgrades and sell it, I expect to compete in the market to get a fair resell value based on those upgrades. There is absolutely NO excuse for these to be STRIPPED upon resale.

This cheats the initial buyer, and future purchasers while filling the coffers unlimited of the manufacturer.

I would definitely join a lawsuit if this continues to happen.

MS-Alec, Those of us that have had FSD a while see it on our Details page under our accounts. I encourage you to, once yours has been restored to take a screen shot where your VIN and FSD display so you can show this just in case something happens again. I think that's a screen shot/view that Tesla would consider valid.

MS-Alec, Those of us that have had FSD a while see it on our Details page under our accounts. I encourage you to, once yours has been restored to take a screen shot where your VIN and FSD display so you can show this just in case something happens again. I think that's a screen shot/view that Tesla would consider valid.
As is 2PM EDT, nothing has been restored.

The whole idea of providing a piece of evidence to the company, sourced from the same company website or CPA is just bizarre!
Either that company has no the records retention system at all or the CS department is totally incompetent. Not saying it's Tesla case, but should make you wonder.