Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

TeslaCam errors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been researching my problem and I have seen others post all over the internet about these errors but I have not been able to resolve this.

The USB flash drive works fine for the TeslaCam when I first put it in. While driving no problem. When I stop and leave the car, the dashcam icon has a grey x when I return. Then no matter what I do I cannot get the flash drive to work again, I take it out and put it back in and nothing.

But if I remove the flash drive when I stop and set it aside, then put it back in when I return, it still works just fine.

Something is happening to it every time the car turn off and then back on again.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Wade

I got the same problem as @WadeAndersonPT . Initially my TeslaCam test recordings worked fine.
When I left the usb in and "forgot about it", I would get the icon with grey X on it.

Ideally, I would like a "plug in and forget" type of setup, where it would be always recording and overwriting the old data... and only when an event occurs where I want to save the data, would be when I would remove the USB from the car to download to my computer.
(this is the setup I have with my always-on Blackvue in my Model S...which I forget that it's always recording)

At this time, I decided to hold off on the Teslacam, and will wait until the bugs get worked out.

The main idea is not to have the car writing to a file as it shuts off power... you have to pause the recording.

This should be automatic obviously, but it's not.

Your last sentence is the key. This is a programming issue, not a user training issue. Hopefully one of the two point releases beginning to roll out takes care of it.

Reactions: PoitNarf
Thank you for all the input. I will try to remember to hold on the icon to pause it when I get out. It is not easy to remember to keep doing that and then remember to resume it. It is a software issue that hopefully gets resolved soon, I love having the built in dash cam and not needing a separate one taking up extra windshield space and extra wires.

Thank you for all the input. I will try to remember to hold on the icon to pause it when I get out. It is not easy to remember to keep doing that and then remember to resume it. It is a software issue that hopefully gets resolved soon, I love having the built in dash cam and not needing a separate one taking up extra windshield space and extra wires.
In addition, whenever I get the grey x, the only fix is to plug it into my PC. It will scan the drive and then does a "repair". After that it works fine again.

Mine had stopped running the the first day. But then I saw the two partition solution for TeslaCam and Music.
So I used different USB Flash Drive (128GB Sandisk Extreme 3.0) and the Red Dot has consistently been on for like 5 days (1 day after V9 show up for everyone on Model 3). I use USB 3.0 for fast writes of Music. Also note that not all USB 2.0 sticks are same nor are USB 3.0 ones. They vary WILDLY. Don't just go by Size and USB 2.0 speed.

I'll probably Jinx it now.

Mine had stopped running the the first day. But then I saw the two partition solution for TeslaCam and Music.
So I used different USB Flash Drive (128GB Sandisk Extreme 3.0) and the Red Dot has consistently been on for like 5 days (1 day after V9 show up for everyone on Model 3). I use USB 3.0 for fast writes of Music. Also note that not all USB 2.0 sticks are same nor are USB 3.0 ones. They vary WILDLY. Don't just go by Size and USB 2.0 speed.

I'll probably Jinx it now.
I'm going to get the exact one you have and test it out. I see one on Amazon Sandisk Extreme Go USB 3.1 128GB for $41.85
I

same issue with both my X and 3. works for about a week then it both craps out. I just reformat and start over again and it works, till it doesn't again.

So far today mine is working fine. I drive a lot and make at least 8 stops a day getting in and out of the car. What I'm going to do is keep a 2nd back up flash drive for now. Hopefully this issue will get resolved with a future update.

same issue with both my X and 3. works for about a week then it both craps out. I just reformat and start over again and it works, till it doesn't again.
This is pretty much what I do as well. It's not too much of a hassle, and I'm sure Tesla is aware of the issue since it's not exactly a corner case. Heck it's a free cam; I'm not in the habit of looking a gift horse in the mouth.