Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaFi - Battery Degradation Reports (upload your data)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my non-TeslaFi data for my 10K miles. Saw a noticeable drop at 5.5K. Since the API shows SOC as an integer (no decimal point to work with), I show min & max to represent if the SOC was -0.5 or +0.49, but rounded. Car still seems to indicate full charge is about 310. Interestingly, I noticed a 10 mile difference in range just over the last few days. I normally charge to 78% and see about 245 miles in the morning, but in the last few days I've seen 250 and 240!

upload_2018-10-8_22-38-40.png

I charged to 100% last night and got a range of 287 miles.

After some email back-and-forth, I finally spoke with Tesla support on the phone today. He suggested that this should be resolved by cycling my battery "one or two times" down to ~20% and then charging back to 100%. He said if I still see the problem, they will set up an appointment with the local SC.

Here’s my latest, after one 20% to 100% cycle. Not seeing much improvement.

F5792134-C94F-4ADE-A023-767A9C70A27A.png

• Informative
Reactions: David99
I would agree. If anything I am pretty close to where I was when I first acquired the car. Not sure why it went through the erratic and lower values but it appears to have leveled off pretty close to 310 miles of range and considering I don't have the Aero wheels but instead have the 19" sport wheels I think that is pretty good. The range is inline with the actual range I was seeing on my 3,500 mile summer road trip.

Thanks for the report as I never heard back from Tesla. I will try cycling down to 20%. Previously, I didn’t go much below 60% before trying the 100% charge. Let us know if this works for you.
I spoke to support who checked remotely and confirmed all battery modules functioning normally. They suggested a deep cycle. I ran down to 25% then charged to 100% again. No improvement. Stil 291 at 100% or about 6% degradation on 5 month car with 5000 miles. Honestly, I’m fine with it as long as it stays here and doesn’t degrade further.

I spoke to support who checked remotely and confirmed all battery modules functioning normally. They suggested a deep cycle. I ran down to 25% then charged to 100% again. No improvement. Stil 291 at 100% or about 6% degradation on 5 month car with 5000 miles. Honestly, I’m fine with it as long as it stays here and doesn’t degrade further.

Keep complaining. 19 miles on an essentially new car is not acceptable.

I think it’s too early to tell how degradation will run. Many see a quick 5% loss then it levels off. There is a 8 year battery guarantee at 70% capacity I think many are doing a lot of pre-mature worrying. Additionally the capacity will go up and down with cycling and temperatures. Give it a few years and see how the slope runs before bugging Tesla about early degradation especially when you have 8 years warranty.

An initial drop of capacity is normal and expected. 5% or more seems a lot though after 6 month and 10k miles.
Exactly. I’m at 8% (26 miles) of implied loss now when I extrapolate rated range/percentage and have just over 1000 miles. Similar experience to @gzerninplatz. My wife’s S lost a few miles but nothing anywhere close to this and is now pretty solid after over a year and 10k miles.

Exactly. I’m at 8% (26 miles) of implied loss now when I extrapolate rated range/percentage and have just over 1000 miles. Similar experience to @gzerninplatz. My wife’s S lost a few miles but nothing anywhere close to this and is now pretty solid after over a year and 10k miles.

My S is almost 5 years old and has 178k miles. It's now at 10% loss. 8% after 1000 miles is not OK. I don't have a Model 3 myself so I'm not up to date on this topic. I just read through this discussion here and I'm a little surprised how quickly the 3 drops range. I really hope this isn't a trend. Tesla would be in serious trouble if they had to fix/replace thousands of batteries under warranty within the first years.

My S is almost 5 years old and has 178k miles. It's now at 10% loss. 8% after 1000 miles is not OK. I don't have a Model 3 myself so I'm not up to date on this topic. I just read through this discussion here and I'm a little surprised how quickly the 3 drops range. I really hope this isn't a trend. Tesla would be in serious trouble if they had to fix/replace thousands of batteries under warranty within the first years.
Well, good news is that my extrapolated range snapped back to around 290 today after a charge to 70%, but still a fair amount of loss if “real”.

One thing to keep in mind when using Teslafi's battery report. The horizontal axis is based on time/date, not the odometer. That can distort it. The chart is showing the range based on the age of the car not the usage. I asked the Teslafi guys and they said they can't change it (at this point). So I took the data, put it in a spread sheet and created my own graphed based on the odometer. I also added some data points from the early years of my car before Teslafi was available. Just to give you an idea how different the data is presented here is the graph from TeslaFi and my own. The data is from a 2014 Model S. The Model 3 wasn't around back then :)

rrtime.JPG
rrodo.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: Jaywlker
Last edited:
I just got my car last Saturday. Drove it Saturday and Sunday. After 2 days in the garage not driven, it has lost 11 miles of battery power. Any suggestions? Is there another thread for this sort of question?

If you're near the garage often, try turning off bluetooth on your phone. You may be unnecessarily waking it due to walk up unlock trying to be ready for you...

I'm always plugged in when at home so the car doesn't see any range loss, but if I'm in our upstairs area which is over the garage with my phone w/ BT enabled, after a couple of hours my phone gets drained at 2-3x the normal rate because it keeps connecting to the car for phone-as-key functionality.

• Informative
Reactions: outdoors
Status
Not open for further replies.