Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaFi.com

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think there would be much support-hassle with having just the logger available for self-install.

The way I see it is that [for a small marketplace] each support call would be fairly unique - e.g. an unfortunate interaction with THIS or THAT other program running on that computer, or solving a problem with a Router blocking traffic and so on; as such that effort has no on-support benefit [in a small marketplace], thus it is both expensive and a distraction, thus hard for a small outfit to deliver. By comparison the support of a single, central, web-based APP has everything under the developer's control.

But I have no way of knowing how easily, or otherwise, the existing code would lend itself to that.

My request is only about the data logging part. That's done via simple http requests. If you can surf the web (i.e. open teslafi.com or this forum) then the router is fine for doing the data logging.

The web app where all the magic happens should stay on the server of the developer.

I think most concerns would disappear once TeslaFi allows us to provide the token ourselves rather than our credentials to obtain the token. Sure, with the token the car can be tracked and the doors unlocked, but remote start (currently at least) requires the password to trigger and that information would be unavailable.

Personally, I'm not concerned as another had posted that if someone really wanted to steal your Tesla, your insurance would pay out (and they likely just used a tow truck instead of breaking into the car).

Providing the token would be fine for me in this case.

Insurance: I don't think that one can reliably state that there will be no problems at all with any of the insurance companies in the world.

Certainty is always difficult, but today Service and Tesla HQ can remotely unlock and start your car even without having your credentials. One would say (without any tangible proof) that their Tesla was stolen b/c Service was hacked and their car started remotely. Far fetched, but no crazier than the unintended acceleration lawsuits.

My request is only about the data logging part. That's done via simple http requests.

Just to be sure that I understand:

1. I would need "something" on my computer that would talk to Tesla (to submit my Login / Password) and talk to TeslaFi to provide the Token. (I can imagine that a single web page and some JavaScript would be capable of doing that).

2. I would have to be in a position (even as a non-technical person) to know that this Widget talked to Tesla and TeslFi separately (rather than just purporting to do that)

Is that about the top-and-bottom of it?

Of course logging onto the Tesla site and getting a Token and then "giving" that to TeslaFi solves those issues - are there other APPs (non Tesla) that adopt that solution?

I have my UserID/password with several 3rd party APPs. Multiple ones for Tesla, another that Snipes on eBay and so on ... all of them are in my Chrome Browser AutoFill cache. I have decided to trust them (not willy-nilly, I do some research first, but its clearly bad for business if any of them abuses, or is careless with, my personal details). The News regularly reports on Mega Corp being hacked and half-a-billion user records, sometimes including Mothers-Maiden-Name / Bank Details etc., going astray - is that less-bad? Not sure where / if it is worthwhile me trying to be even-more-vigilant?

Insurance: I don't think that one can reliably state that there will be no problems at all with any of the insurance companies in the world.

When I go to a bank, I would give away my social security and identifications to a bank employee.

That bank employee can independently use those information to steal money either from mine by resetting my passwords or from newly opened credit cards...

It's the same way that just because I give the keys to my housekeeper who in turn would steal my properties, I am not liable for the fraud/misapplications of my consent. Insurance will still have to pay up my insured house.

I agree with @Cyclone about a Tesla employee who can technically steal your car just as easily as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyclone
How then I can be sure the script writer (Tesla) does not use my user name and password to steal my car?

Indeed; you can't.

So the assumption has to be that you do trust Tesla, but you have no idea who TeslaFi is and whether you can trust them or not. So you get your Token from the company you trust, and then give that (rather than your Tesla UserID/password,a s at present) to the company you are less confident about.

I'm saying all this assuming that I have the right end of the stick, but in reality I am only making an educated guess.

By the way, the bank story is a real personal story from mine.

I opened up a loan account and gave out all my personal information.

Several months after that, another bank called me saying that someone called on the phone with my identity and was able to answer almost all the personal information except for one final one and they decided that was not me.

I then also got phone calls from different credit cards who also said that someone called on the phone with my identity and requested a card replacement to be sent at another address but most of the personal information was correct except for one so they called me up instead!

I was lucky, but that's the fact of life is it's full of risks so you just make the best out of it.

Ok, this one has been on the list for a while so I just completed it. You can now enter a token during signup or in your settings page. Please let me know if anyone runs into any issues.

I realize that, as stated, this is an advanced topic. That out of the way, I'm a software engineer so I decided to sign up and try to use it, but from poking around in the inspect UI while logged into tesla.com, it's a bit hard to tell what the token is. I'm assuming it's one of the fields in the cookies tesla stores, but could you give a clue where to look?

Ok, this one has been on the list for a while so I just completed it. You can now enter a token during signup or in your settings page. Please let me know if anyone runs into any issues.

I used my workstation to call Tesla.com and get a new token, inputted that into TeslaFi.com, and able to successfully use the new token. However, the settings page only let me input the token itself, not the entire request. Could you allow for input of the other fields as well? Could you tweak mine to include that please? I only ask since it was very convenience that TeslaFi told me my token was about to expire in 8 days and I will miss that as a handy reference.

{
"access_token": <snip>,
"token_type": "bearer",
"expires_in": 7776000,
"refresh_token": <snip>,
"created_at": 1483480101
}

I assume Tesla doesn't actually allow refreshing of the tokens. If it does, I can provide that. Thanks!

I realize that, as stated, this is an advanced topic. That out of the way, I'm a software engineer so I decided to sign up and try to use it, but from poking around in the inspect UI while logged into tesla.com, it's a bit hard to tell what the token is. I'm assuming it's one of the fields in the cookies tesla stores, but could you give a clue where to look?

To my knowledge, you would need to format a call to Tesla's token service and get returned the response. I have not seen the token returned in any cookie. I used JSON to do it, but I do not know if that is the only method available.

To my knowledge, you would need to format a call to Tesla's token service and get returned the response. I have not seen the token returned in any cookie. I used JSON to do it, but I do not know if that is the only method available.

Ah, ok. I had assumed their site would need to store the API token locally *somewhere* in order to maintain its session. That makes sense, though makes the whole thing a bit more complicated...

Hi @Jdeck , I have a problem to make "Nighttime Sleep Mode" works. I tried to have both TeslaFi Sleep Mode clicked and Scheduled Nighttime Sleep Mode click, with Start Sleeping At: 12AM and End Sleeping At 12AM.(Basically all day) everything else is set the default value.

The issue is when the car woke up, (e.g. start charging, open a door), it will be stay in idle for 30 mins, then TeslaFi will stop polling for 15 mins, so the total idle time is around 40mins before the car go back to sleep again, which likes the normal TeslaFi Sleep Mode rather than scheduled nighttime sleep mode.

From the description of Nighttime Sleep Mode, the Scheduled Sleep Mode should bypasses the "Idle Time Before Trying To Sleep" settings then I think it should immediately stop polling data rather than wait 30 mins. Which means if i open and close the door under one min during the Scheduled nighttime, TeslaFi should record the idle status and then immediately trying to sleep,i.e. I should see the car go back to sleep in 10 mins rather than 40 mins.

I also tested with TeslaFi Sleep Mode off and Scheduled Nighttime Sleep Mode on, still, it will keeping polling data during the scheduled nighttime.

Do i miss anything? Thank!

Hi @Jdeck , I have a problem to make "Nighttime Sleep Mode" works. I tried to have both TeslaFi Sleep Mode clicked and Scheduled Nighttime Sleep Mode click, with Start Sleeping At: 12AM and End Sleeping At 12AM.(Basically all day) everything else is set the default value.

The issue is when the car woke up, (e.g. start charging, open a door), it will be stay in idle for 30 mins, then TeslaFi will stop polling for 15 mins, so the total idle time is around 40mins before the car go back to sleep again, which likes the normal TeslaFi Sleep Mode rather than scheduled nighttime sleep mode.

From the description of Nighttime Sleep Mode, the Scheduled Sleep Mode should bypasses the "Idle Time Before Trying To Sleep" settings then I think it should immediately stop polling data rather than wait 30 mins. Which means if i open and close the door under one min during the Scheduled nighttime, TeslaFi should record the idle status and then immediately trying to sleep,i.e. I should see the car go back to sleep in 10 mins rather than 40 mins.

I also tested with TeslaFi Sleep Mode off and Scheduled Nighttime Sleep Mode on, still, it will keeping polling data during the scheduled nighttime.

Do i miss anything? Thank!
Hi. It's hard for me to tell exactly what's going on since it appears you've changed the sleep mode settings again and I don't have a way to match up the previous settings with the data. You currently have nighttime sleep mode enabled between 8pm - 5am and the logger appears to be working correctly. It waits for the battery_current to reach 0 or None then takes the appropriate steps depending on your settings. In your current session, it immediately stopped polling when the battery reached 0. The car actually just woke up again and immediately stopped polling again since it's in nighttime sleep mode. You have 14+ hrs of sleep today.

The only thing I can think that may have prevented nighttime sleep mode from working before could be the setting of 12am-12am. I'd have to test it, but it's probably behaving as if you have nighttime sleep mode off if you select that time frame. The way it's currently coded it's like saying 'turn nighttime sleep mode on from 0:00 - 0:00'. I hadn't designed a use case of enabling either scheduled sleep mode for a 24 hr period but can relook at it.