Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaFi.com

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there an issue right now? My car doesn't seem to be reporting good data. The Tesla mobile app also isn't working right now for me.
James got on it fixed it quick. My reporting is good now.

The API is down. It's been down for about about 3 hours now and TeslaFi has not been able to get any data. A few connections are going through here and there for some vehicles, but overall it's pretty much dead right now. I can't get any of my phone apps to connect so it appears to be a widespread issue. I'll post on twitter and update the note on the site when things return back to normal.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Ulmo and hybridbear
My loose assumption was that it had something to do with wikileaks, since its latest release directly contains something about hacking into things such as cars, and that might cause Tesla some concern and cause them to ratchet down more security. But, that doesn't make sense since Tesla is still allowing some data through according to you. Supposedly, Wikileaks didn't release the actual hacking code, so it doesn't make sense that new attacks using newly implemented installations are starting now, unless older installations in place want to use their last window of opportunity to update and enforce their spying and death controls. Just as a precaution, I turned my remote access off for a while. I'll wait for an update before turning it back on. Let's hope wikileaks doesn't have a leak and new implementations are already underway now.

The rumor mill is that 8.1 includes API enhancements that can be used by the refreshed app. Perhaps they are having a bad day rolling out the change?

Seems like this should be a manageable change if it was that, but I may be biased working on highly effective systems integration for years specifically around introducing changes and converting/transitioning to new systems.

The rumor mill is that 8.1 includes API enhancements that can be used by the refreshed app. Perhaps they are having a bad day rolling out the change?

Seems like this should be a manageable change if it was that, but I may be biased working on highly effective systems integration for years specifically around introducing changes and converting/transitioning to new systems.
That would make a lot more sense than my rather poor guess. Oddly, I failed to think of this. I really must be getting old.

And I agree: upgrades should be fairly seamless. There should be a whole mechanism to make certain an upgrade is seamless.

While this isn't a problem, I've noticed a behavior (new, changed, long ignored - I don't know) you may want to tweak.

When clicking an undefined location and providing the details, when you hit submit, it now says "Location Updated Successfully" or something like that, but no longer takes you back to the location update page. This is fine.

However, in the background, you can see the day summary page refresh and reload to show the new location rather than the address. When you close the location updated successfully pop-up, the summary page refreshes again even though there is nothing to update. Just some wasted cycles you may not want, but no real harm in it either.

New to TeslaFi.com and was using Visible Tesla and seeing witch one works better for me. My favorite feature on Visible Tesla is to be able to control the Max SOC on a schedule. Here in the North East the cold weather greatly affects the regen breaking, which is about my favorite feature of the car! Anyway, with the scheduled Max SOC, I would set it to charge a extra 5% starting at 5am, that way the battery would warm up by 5:30 when I left and my regen breaking was much better for my ride to work.

Seeing that it does not appear that TeslaFi.com has this feature (that I can find), Can I run both? Let me re-phrase... I know I can run both, but will that cause an overload of calls to the Tesla API? Seems like Tesla does not like too many calls to the API, will will havinging two logging programs running be an issue?

New to TeslaFi.com and was using Visible Tesla and seeing witch one works better for me. My favorite feature on Visible Tesla is to be able to control the Max SOC on a schedule. Here in the North East the cold weather greatly affects the regen breaking, which is about my favorite feature of the car! Anyway, with the scheduled Max SOC, I would set it to charge a extra 5% starting at 5am, that way the battery would warm up by 5:30 when I left and my regen breaking was much better for my ride to work.

Seeing that it does not appear that TeslaFi.com has this feature (that I can find), Can I run both? Let me re-phrase... I know I can run both, but will that cause an overload of calls to the Tesla API? Seems like Tesla does not like too many calls to the API, will will havinging two logging programs running be an issue?
If you have two services pinging the API, it will basically mean your car can't sleep and you'll experience "vampire drain" or range loss while the car sits idle. TeslaFi has a few different sleep features but I believe they still require no other services pinging Tesla's API on your behalf.

We can put it on the list but the problem is IFTT charges $2,500 a year now plus I'd have to find a lot of time to create an API for TeslaFi.

Any news on this? It doesn't have to be IFTTT. Any http/json call would be fine that can be send via Tasker from the phone.

For a start on call for starting polling (to prevent data loss while trying to sleep) would be sufficient.

• Informative
Reactions: MarcG

Short answer is yes, you can run both without issues. I have been doing this for some time, primarily to have local details on charging.

Some things to watch out for:
  • If you want the car to sleep (to minimize vampire drain) you need to manage sleep in both VisibleTesla (VT) and TeslaFi. As long as VT is set to sleep, it will not interfere with the TeslaFi sleep options. If you are mostly using VT to send commands to your car, it is fine to leave VT set to sleep most of the time. Obviously, sending the command wakes up the car, but otherwise the VT uses the same gentle polling used by TeslaFi that allows the car to sleep.
  • If the computer on which VT is running is awake, VT may notice that you are driving and start capturing your trip using the streaming API. When this happens for me, it is usually a short trip, and so far has not caused issues. When I am away on longer trips my computer is typically asleep or off. FWIW, VT's use of the streaming API puts a much larger load on Tesla's servers because the streaming API updates location/speed information about every two seconds. Based on the raw data that TeslaFi collects, it appears that TeslaFi does not use the streaming API and only polls once or twice a minute, even when you are driving.

In case anyone has not run across it yet, I installed a new help desk a few weeks ago on the site.

You can find it by clicking on the "?" icon located in the footer. It will allow you to enter feature requests, bugs, questions and private support tickets. It's much more user friendly than the old bug tracker and will allow me to group and track things better. If you have a feature request please enter them in the new system so you can track the progress and allow others to vote on the ideas. I'll try to prioritize the feature requests based on the more popular ideas.

Thanks!

In case anyone has not run across it yet, I installed a new help desk a few weeks ago on the site.

You can find it by clicking on the "?" icon located in the footer. It will allow you to enter feature requests, bugs, questions and private support tickets. It's much more user friendly than the old bug tracker and will allow me to group and track things better. If you have a feature request please enter them in the new system so you can track the progress and allow others to vote on the ideas. I'll try to prioritize the feature requests based on the more popular ideas.

Thanks!

Bonus news: The old bug tracker was blocked by our firewall at work. The new one isn't. :)