Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaFi or Not? That is the Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am new to Teslafi. It has already paid for itself by helping identify a wiring issue in my home.
Low Avg voltage during high amperage charges led me to discover an overheating service fuse that needs urgent replacement.
But when does it happen - straight away or when? Because the car shows you the Voltage on the charging screen and if you observe it for a minute or two you can see a flunctuation, you don't really need an app for that?

I think the greatest benefit TeslaFi offers is convenience:
  • You can use tools like ScanMy Tesla or TM-Spy but you need to physically access the diagnostic port (something many owners will not be comfortable doing) and the onus is on the owner to collect, organize and visualize that data on an on-going and consistent basis to maintain historical data
  • While charging data is on the screen, its not all that helpful if you are not in the car--its not going to help me find charging issues that occur in the middle of the night
  • Tools like TeslaFi are helpful with collecting data the you don't know you need until you realize you need it--its useful to be able to go back and look at historical data for things that might not have seemed important at the time
  • Self-hosted tools like TeslaMate are a great option but not everyone is going to have the technical expertise or want to invest the time to maintain such a system
  • The biggest downside I see is the fact the need to share credentials with a 3rd-party. Every owner will need to balance risk vs benefit for themselves
Bottom line there is no one right answer, but its good we have options so owners figure out what best suits their needs.

• Continually available and no need to connect a device to car to access the info.

Get's me back to the waking up the car issue for the logging - which ends up eating more kWh than it is beneficial for.

Have you actually used TeslaFi? It seems not. Looking in the past three days my car slept peacefully and has not been woken by TeslaFi for any logging.

day 1 - sleep - 23hrs 59min, < - Did not use the car, but did use TeslaFi quite a bit. Slept the entire day.
day 2 - sleep - 14hrs 50 min, < - Use the car off an on throughout the day and charged it several times.
day 3 - sleep - 7hrs 31 It is < - It is 07:35 am here so it it has note woken up yet.

There is no way TeslaFi is waking up my car unintentionally. Dont know about other cars but with my model 3 there was one check box to select to enable TeslaFi's recommended default sleep mode and that was it.

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
Have you actually used TeslaFi? It seems not. Looking in the past three days my car slept peacefully and has not been woken by TeslaFi for any logging.
No, I haven't this is why I get 0.3% vampire drain a day (about 1-2km). Because I don't give access to Apps I can't see the source code.

day 1 - sleep - 23hrs 59min, < - Did not use the car, but did use TeslaFi quite a bit. Slept the entire day.
day 2 - sleep - 14hrs 50 min, < - Use the car off an on throughout the day and charged it several times.
day 3 - sleep - 7hrs 31 It is < - It is 07:35 am here so it it has note woken up yet.

There is no way TeslaFi is waking up my car unintentionally.

How do you know though?
Are you 100% sure that the logger didn't wake it in that time?
What was the standby drain over the 3 days on your car overall?

Was it more than the around 3 miles over the 3 days as it is normally with my car (around 1-2kms a day)?

99% of all vampire drain reports we have are somewhat connected to some third party apps.

They might have minimized the drain, can't be sure, but just the privacy issue of giving my credentials and the unknown whether the app is waking up the car or not is a huge nogo for me.

I think the greatest benefit TeslaFi offers is convenience:
  • You can use tools like ScanMy Tesla or TM-Spy but you need to physically access the diagnostic port (something many owners will not be comfortable doing) and the onus is on the owner to collect, organize and visualize that data on an on-going and consistent basis to maintain historical data
It literally takes about 4 minutes to setup and after that you just plug in the dongle when you need to read it.

You also don't need to collect the data - what TeslaFi is guestimate based on every charge, this is why they need this chart. Because they need a large number of charge sessions to try and guess what is going on. This is more or less what some Android apps are doing - just tracking how many Ah you add on each session of charging. They are not even doing that - they are tracking rated miles added which has way too many rounding errors.

With SMT you don't need that tracking since most of the time the kWh are the same. All you have to do is take a screenshot every 2-4 weeks for reference. And if you want you can take a screenshot once a week. That's it.

• While charging data is on the screen, its not all that helpful if you are not in the car--its not going to help me find charging issues that occur in the middle of the night

You can easily do the math yourself if the car didn't charge all the way.
  • Tools like TeslaFi are helpful with collecting data the you don't know you need until you realize you need it--its useful to be able to go back and look at historical data for things that might not have seemed important at the time
  • Such as?
I am not affiliated with SMT. I just see what TeslaFi does and what SMT is capable of.

Maybe the logging of data for trips is cool, but I don't personally need it.

If you are looking for battery data - SMT is the solution.

Have you actually used TeslaFi?
No, I haven't.....

There is no way TeslaFi is waking up my car unintentionally

How do you know though?
Are you 100% sure that the logger didn't wake it in that time?
Yes I am sure because TeslaFi provides a continuous raw data feed to the user at 1 minute increments, regardless of what the car is doing. So when the car itself reports back it is asleep every single minute of the day (1,440 times), I will take its word for it. This is backed up by the THWC lead being connected, powered on and the charge ports lights being off and no sign of any activity from the car. If the car did actually wake up there would be a change in the log. The documentation explains how it achieve this BTW.

upload_2020-1-14_10-52-40.png

What was the standby drain over the 3 days on your car overall?

Was it more than the around 3 miles over the 3 days as it is normally with my car (around 1-2kms a day)?
No it was not more than that. Cannot tell for today, as the car is asleep and I would have to wake it up to find that out. But yesterday shows as 1.72km and 0.24 kWh. Multiply that by 3 days and you will get 3 miles.

They might have minimized the drain, can't be sure, but just the privacy issue of giving my credentials and the unknown whether the app is waking up the car or not is a huge nogo for me.

Granted. If you cannot live with the credentials issue, it is never going to be for you. Not fussed about that myself. At the end of the day it is just a car.

Attachments

• upload_2020-1-14_11-7-58.png
    upload_2020-1-14_11-7-58.png
    93.1 KB · Views: 60
  • Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White
I have to say I am a big TeslaFi fan. It helps me understand my car's energy use, and make better decisions concerning travel, charging, and energy costs. If you are an engineer, you will appreciate it. If you are an art history major, probably not.

Still, if you read the posts on this forum, you will see many many posts questioning car energy use, actual vs. rated miles, vampire drain, etc. Most of these questions can be easily answered if you use TeslaFi for a few months to get a feel for how your car consumes energy in your particular situation. If these is anything these forums tell you, it is that everyone has a different situation regarding commute, drive patterns, weather, etc, and most general answers are not that helpful. For everyone that claims to consistently get 200 wH/m, there is someone like me who gets 330 wH/m and wonders 'WHY?'. TeslaFi will quickly tell you where that energy is going, and why.

For everyone that claims to consistently get 200 wH/m, there is someone like me who gets 330 wH/m and wonders 'WHY?'. TeslaFi will quickly tell you where that energy is going, and why.
I don't need a data aggregation solution to answer that question. I already know the root cause is traffic lights turning from red to green.

I suspect Teslafi of aggravating vampire drain. I setup as recommended wrt sleep settings for both our M3 and MX. Then for about a month I saw my MX did not want to sleep for a longtime and had an leave at the airport drain 2/3rds of the battery scare. Then the MX settled down and then it happened on my M3 at SFO. Removed Teslafi access and I have never seen the issue again. Agree love the data but not interested at playing "vampire roulette". Interesting my favorite feature was the TeslaFi scripting that allowed me to pre-heat and charge for a departure time. That has now been added to the native Tesla interface and once they allow you to set that via the app vs having to do at the MCU it will solve 95% of my fav TeslaFi feature. Also as have been said third party access to my car makes me a tad queasy.

Have you actually used TeslaFi?
Granted. If you cannot live with the credentials issue, it is never going to be for you. Not fussed about that myself. At the end of the day it is just a car.

TeslaFi lets you generate and input the token manually so there's no reason for your tesla.com login password to ever pass through teslafi.com if that is important to you.