Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla's Free Unlimited Supercharging cost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They are not ok by keeping free unlimited supercharging.
Now you can transfer it to a new car, BUT, then it becomes untransferable (SC05), so if you sell the car, you can kiss free supercharging bye bye and the next owner will have SC04 (paying)... like this, the will get rid of all the SC01 (unlimited and tansferable) cars.
in the long run, i think they will save money
got it. so the chance of them offering another transfer after this is pretty much 0, maybe im better off keeping my current car and hopefully its offered again. im not ready for 2 new cars as im still paying for a loan on the one i just bought 2 months ago.

They are not ok by keeping free unlimited supercharging.
Now you can transfer it to a new car, BUT, then it becomes untransferable (SC05), so if you sell the car, you can kiss free supercharging bye bye and the next owner will have SC04 (paying)... like this, the will get rid of all the SC01 (unlimited and tansferable) cars.
in the long run, i think they will save money
And the are freeing up some SC time by replacing a car that charges slow with a car that charges fast. Likewise they are swapping some older cars that get less miles per kWh with new ones i.e Model Y with better "mileage" thus less expensive for Tesla.

Reactions: KJD and electricar
This is why you can't depend on an early model Tesla still having free supercharging. You don't even have to trade in the vehicle to Tesla. You sign the papers and the free supercharging is removed from your existing vehicle and applied to your new Tesla. Surprise to the new owner of your old Tesla!
Not sure about this. We picked up our new MSLR+ 2023 in April & our Supercharging (Which I paid for in 2015) did not transfer. It did transfer from our 2015 MS85D, to the 2020 MSLR+, but not to the 2023 MSLR+
When I asked about the reason, I was told Tesla reserves the right to alter contract details as needed

Not sure about this. We picked up our new MSLR+ 2023 in April & our Supercharging (Which I paid for in 2015) did not transfer. It did transfer from our 2015 MS85D, to the 2020 MSLR+, but not to the 2023 MSLR+
When I asked about the reason, I was told Tesla reserves the right to alter contract details as needed
What did Tesla alter? Transferring FUSC to yout 2020 instead of your 2023? If so, you still transferred FUSC but not to the car you wanted. Am I reading your post correctly?

Last edited:
What did Tesla alter? Transferring FUSC to yout 2020 instead of your 2023? If so, you still transferred FUSC but not to the car you wanted. Am I reading your post correctly?
I had the FUSC on the car I was trading in (a 2020) but was told in April of 2023, that this was no longer being offered
To appease me, Tesla did give me two years of FUSC, on the new 2023

• Informative
Reactions: NV Ray
@BozieBeMe2 I do not believe any 2020 had transferrable unlimited free supercharging. I also have it on my 2020 car. You were lucky to have them give you anything in trade for that. They cannot change the terms of your contract over time without your consent. This is basic law.
Then you have this "bait and switch" lawsuit from last Spring's Tesla Supercharger Transfer offer. Not sure of it's status.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
Then you have this "bait and switch" lawsuit from last Spring's Tesla Supercharger Transfer offer. Not sure of it's status.

No idea on its status, but it's utter garbage.

Those who bought vehicles during those promotions absolutely received the 3-year free Supercharging promo.

Not sure what the basis of a class action suit are, but to just say it's fraudulent and Tesla never delivered -- we know that's nonsense. Plenty of folks have proven otherwise.

Maybe they made a mistake with that one person -- but one person's mistake does not a class action fraud make.

Reactions: Rocky_H
No idea on its status, but it's utter garbage.

Those who bought vehicles during those promotions absolutely received the 3-year free Supercharging promo.

Not sure what the basis of a class action suit are, but to just say it's fraudulent and Tesla never delivered -- we know that's nonsense. Plenty of folks have proven otherwise.

Maybe they made a mistake with that one person -- but one person's mistake does not a class action fraud make.
You're right. If an issue, would have been all over this forum.

Reactions: brkaus
I like this logic. My former coworker that has a Y described it nicely when after a road trip he told me, "I hate pulling up and seeing old Model S drivers like you blocking a 250 kW stall for an hour because you can only charge at 75 kW. Not only do I have to wait, I have to know it's free for you whereas I have to pay."
Your coworker is Green with envy.

So $20M divided by "hundreds of thousands", say about 200,000 cars, works out to about $100/year per car? Doesn't seem like a huge amount of usage per car...
I've always said, FUSC does not cost Tesla that much, and they really don't care about getting rid of it. Many on here disagreed.
Sure, Tesla will take the opportunity to remove it from salvages, and if they want to remove the transferrable portion, fine.
But $20M of deductible loss/cost is a drop in the bucket for them at the end of the day.
They probably pay more than that in paper products in the factory bathrooms!

FUSC is, and always has been, a marketing tool. It was a big selling point to the early adopters. At this point, the current promo is how they'll use it whenever they want to try and boost a quarterly sales level.

Chat GPT says ~286k Model S & X were made, from 2012-2017. I believe some 3, S and X got it afterward, as well. Not many.

While worth ~$1k/yr in my case, I think that's not true for a dwindling fleet. My guess is slow S&X sales are making them look for a fix.

I had the FUSC on the car I was trading in (a 2020) but was told in April of 2023, that this was no longer being offered

Tesla does offer new replacement packs, albeit about $5k more. I paid for one a year ago. If I recall Tesla told you no on a new pack. Based on my conversations with numerous MS owners, they received the same answer. Fortunately after some guidance from me and their constant insistence, they prevailed in getting new packs.
I’ve been wondering if Tesla will eventually lower these new pack prices as costs come down. There was an excellent article I read on this today. I’m hopeful that by the time I need a new battery they will be $99 a kWh and $9000 from Tesla for a new 90 pack. Of course Tesla may elect to continue overcharging customers in an effort to get these cars off the road. I hope I’m wrong and they do the right thing - pass the savings on to people who want to keep their older cars.

I’ve been wondering if Tesla will eventually lower these new pack prices as costs come down. There was an excellent article I read on this today. I’m hopeful that by the time I need a new battery they will be $99 a kWh and $9000 from Tesla for a new 90 pack. Of course Tesla may elect to continue overcharging customers in an effort to get these cars off the road. I hope I’m wrong and they do the right thing - pass the savings on to people who want to keep their older cars.
I don't have a crystal ball. For Model S's in particular I don't see Tesla prices going down due to myriad factors, including Model S/X supply/demand vs 3/Y/?. 3rd party vendors are likely to continue Tesla's lead regarding Model S reman replacement pack pricing.

I wouldn't get my hopes up because I think when they say the price per kWh is "X" I think they mean the cost to produce, which doesn't exactly correlate to the price sold as a replacement or upgrade. The bigger factor in replacement costs is the demand, supply, company's goodwill/PR, tolerance of the consumer, and competition. It would be wonderful if there were 3rd party batteries that were as good or better than the OEM, but that has not come to pass because the initial startup is quite the obstacle, demand is low, and costs are high. Don't get me wrong, I'm hoping with you.

Reactions: tesluv108
I wouldn't get my hopes up because I think when they say the price per kWh is "X" I think they mean the cost to produce, which doesn't exactly correlate to the price sold as a replacement or upgrade. The bigger factor in replacement costs is the demand, supply, company's goodwill/PR, tolerance of the consumer, and competition. It would be wonderful if there were 3rd party batteries that were as good or better than the OEM, but that has not come to pass because the initial startup is quite the obstacle, demand is low, and costs are high. Don't get me wrong, I'm hoping with you.
Would also add Labor and transport for new and old to recycle. This is no easy task swapping out a battery especially in todays labor wage scale.