Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla's Paint Shop Upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wish the individual/unlimited color option is true. However with the brown/green removal, seems Tesla believes less is more and I doubt they will add colors unless they are sure it is popular.

Can Tesla improve on the perceived "softness" of the paint/clear coat? Or is that just something that can't be changed b/c the paint is water based?

Removing green and brown I think is a short term solution with the current paint shop. I still think pick your own color is possible with the "next generation" paint shop.

Removing green and brown I think is a short term solution with the current paint shop. I still think pick your own color is possible with the "next generation" paint shop.

I think it might be possible. But I think there are a lot of problems beyond just production with a "choose your own color." As it is I don't think Tesla's website does a good job of representing the colors. Some of that is Tesla's fault since I think their rendered images don't do a good job at representing the darker colors. Some of it is also the fact that displays have varying properties for how they render colors and most people don't have their displays calibrated for color. Fortunately, there is a store near me so I can go look at samples. Once you get into custom colors I'd imagine you have to deal with ordering paint samples. Since you can't just stock samples at a store when the colors are entirely custom.

I can only imagine the problems with custom colors not coming out the way the buyer expected. Deposits on custom painted vehicles would have to be a lot higher as well because you can bet some of the custom colors will be hard to sell to someone else if the person doing the ordering decides to walk away from the order for whatever reason.

If Tesla is going to go forwards on custom colors I would expect them to first implement a much wider array of colors. They could implement a wider set of colors that would still sell fairly easily with the same infrastructure as they would need for custom colors. Prove out the production processes involved in doing paint swaps on a per car basis without having offered much more.

Instead they're moving away from that. I don't think this is a temporary change (unless you define temporary as 3+ years). It's important to remember that Tesla's goal is not to be a luxury brand, but to lead the way in the electrification of transportation. In order to do that they will need to massively scale up production. With those goals in mind having a more limited set of paint options doesn't seem like a huge issue. So I wouldn't look to see more paint colors added until Tesla has reached the point that production can keep up with demand.

My expectation is that the green and brown paint lines are being converted to run double lines of whatever the most popular colors are (I'd guess black and white).

When I was shopping for a pro-style range I came upon Bluestar Ranges.

They showed me a RAL color system with 193 colors. You could pick a few and they would send you 4"x4" samples.

I am sure Tesla could do something similar and carry 200 samples or so at each Tesla store. If their new paint booth allowed such level of customization at acceptable cost and efficiency.

And although the goal of Tesla might be the electrification of the automobile and not to become a luxury auto maker or brand when you are charging an average of $106k and up to $138k for a Model S customers expect luxurious levels of everything.

With each passing year the number hardcore EV buyers becomes a smaller percentage of Tesla customers. These new buyers will cut Tesla less and less slack. Angry Chinese customers destroying Tesla cars over delays should be proof of that.

When I was shopping for a pro-style range I came upon Bluestar Ranges.

They showed me a RAL color system with 193 colors. You could pick a few and they would send you 4"x4" samples.

I am sure Tesla could do something similar and carry 200 samples or so at each Tesla store. If their new paint booth allowed such level of customization at acceptable cost and efficiency.

Yup that's pretty much what I imagined they'd have to do. Like I said I'm sure it's possible to do.

And although the goal of Tesla might be the electrification of the automobile and not to become a luxury auto maker or brand when you are charging an average of $106k and up to $138k for a Model S customers expect luxurious levels of everything.

Mercedes has the same problem unless you count 5 shades of black as lots of colors (and I mean that literally the S class has 5 different shades of black as color options among a few other fairly neutral colors). If that's a legitimate criticism I wouldn't expect to find the existing luxury makers lacking lots of color options.

With each passing year the number hardcore EV buyers becomes a smaller percentage of Tesla customers. These new buyers will cut Tesla less and less slack. Angry Chinese customers destroying Tesla cars over delays should be proof of that.

This I completely agree with. But until color issues become a demand issue I don't think Tesla will expend a lot of effort on it.

I'd also take more choices in wheel colors. I like the silver 21s but I'd take black 21s over those and definitely over grey 21s (well, assuming my car would still be black).

BMW used to have a color called carbon blue that was spectacular. It looked like a dark blue swimming in black, with the blue shade "moving" depending on the angle.

Considering the color deletions and black roof removal, it seems Tesla is really trimming the fat on anything that isn't super efficient and profitable. That's why I'd love to know what are the actual benefits from this supposed future paint shop upgrade. Is it a purely economical move, or will we hopefully get more colors and paint job that's less "soft"?

In the last conference call, I thought Elon said the new paint shop was to support Model 3 volumes of cars, but it still made sense to do it now because it would help improve the existing line even if it wasn't at full capacity.

Mercedes has the same problem unless you count 5 shades of black as lots of colors (and I mean that literally the S class has 5 different shades of black as color options among a few other fairly neutral colors). If that's a legitimate criticism I wouldn't expect to find the existing luxury makers lacking lots of color options.
"Any customer can have a car painted any colour that he wants so long as it is black." - Henry Ford

Any new insights on the new paint shop?

I am finding the main things holding back my order are paint and interior color choices (other items on the punch-list are subsiding, including sticker shock). Ideally I'm thinking August delivery, but getting concerned about potential conflicts with paint shop and X roll-out.

Has everyone read this yet? Is it being discussed on this board somewhere?

Albertine also reported that Tesla has a new paint facility it plans to get up and running by this summer. He said currently the automaker spends about 16 hours to make the quality of the paint on its Model S on par with that of Aston Martin. However, after the new paint facility is up and running, the process will only take about five hours.
Source (not a great source I admit but I can't find the original)

Looks like we finally have our answer on what this is all about. Seems like this upgrade is mainly about reduce time and cost though hopefully that's not the whole story. Hopefully these improved machines will also make it cheaper and easier for Tesla to implement new colour variations too.

Just received an update to the android app to V2.1.83

In the 'What's new' comments on the Google play store 'Support for new car paint colors and roof style'

Is this new?

I extracted the apk and found these new colors:

Ocean Blue
body_lhd_oceanblue.png

Titanium
body_lhd_titanium.png

As for the roof style, I'm not sure.