Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla's "solar roof" Event - Hosted at Universal Studios

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The french slate looked awesome. The Tuscan tile looks like it might have issues. Tuscan tile roofs were always going to be hard to do. The biggest issue I see with Tesla's offering is cell module density. To make it look good, you are only using a small fraction of the roof area for the solar cells.

Would be nice to have pricing and availability!
I suppose specs will be on the Tesla site soon. Such as...how much do they weigh? What is their resistance to wind? Since they are glass ...how hot do they get.

I know you will give up that gap between a conventional solar panel and the singles on a roof. That gap is really cool. literally. My attic is approx. 100 degrees cooler than it used to be because of that gap.

Looks beautiful though.

• Informative
Reactions: Weezer Fan
Powerwall 2.0 is now 14kWh and 7kW peak output. (Correct?) Those solar tiles are amazing.

My Powerwall 1.0 is instantly obsolete and I am thrilled by the incredible progress Tesla Energy has made! Kudos to Elon and the entire team.

Now of course we all want more details.

So, to compare:

Version 1 is 6.4kWh energy and 3.3kW power. $3,000. (from wikipedia)
Version 2 is 14kWh energy and 5 kW continuous, 7 kW peak power. (from press kit) ($5,500 according to Electrek.co) and has an integrated inverter (from press kit).

v2 has less other junk on the wall in your installation. In fact, almost no other stuff. v1, you had to have an inverter and a few other boxes in addition to the PowerWall. PowerWall 1 was an important step to start out and figure out how to bring it to market, and PowerWall 2 is the real mass target product.

Last edited:
Powerwall 2.0 is now 14kWh and 7kW peak output. (Correct?) Those solar tiles are amazing.

My Powerwall 1.0 is instantly obsolete and I am thrilled by the incredible progress Tesla Energy has made! Kudos to Elon and the entire team.

Now of course we all want more details.

On a bright side, for the first few months, Powerwall 2.0 will only have charge function and run in shadow mode.

Agreed. Put it in a memo next time.

Wow, 2 hours to install all the solar roof! I think you give Tesla a bit too much credit.

Presentation was short but Tesla did not only show 'swatches' of what the roof could look like but actual roofs. I think that was impressive, shows their commitment and stage of development.

Last edited:
My so-far unasked questions:

1. The demo tiles Mr Musk held - I could not see anything like electronics on their backs. Obviously, all tiles need be interconnected and on down to the integrated Powerwall...but how?

2. How has Tesla placated every jurisdictions' fire departments, who seem to have a thing against their firemen getting electrocuted when penetrating roofs?

3. What are the efficiency #s of these panels?

Apparently there is a press Q&A occurring right now and I'm assuming we'll get answers to at least some of the Qs raised so far -

Here's a few more questions:

Is it resistant to moderate hail?

Screen Shot 2016-10-29 at 03.21.00.png