TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla's "solar roof" Event - Hosted at Universal Studios

Discussion in 'Tesla, Inc.' started by AssortedBread, Oct 24, 2016.

1. jimmyjohn

jimmyjohn Member

I agree with your description of "upscale." However, I've lived in Northern Virginia and Portland Oregon, and - anecdotally - 99.5% of residential developers are cheaper than a General Motors interior designer for the Corvette. I hate government intervention... but it may be the only way.

• Like x 1
  2. flyhigh123

flyhigh123 Member

is anyone here going? I plan to attend it tomorrow...

3. tinm

tinm 2013 S85 Owner

I got an invite but I live 900 miles away and the invite didn't include Elon picking me up in his private jet so I'll just stream it over the web I guess :)

4. flyhigh123

flyhigh123 Member

Looks like the event time got bumped up... says 5:30pm now as opposed to 7pm. I;m guessing they need the sun light.

5. ggr

ggr Roadster R80 537, SigS P85 29, M3P 80k

Yes, I asked marketing to confirm:

6. jimmyjohn

jimmyjohn Member

TMC's response - as judged by number of posts / threads - to the October 28 event feels muted.

I know this is the Tesla Motors Club; but... am hoping the event --- live streamed at 530p PST --- gets the team excited.

No alcohol ≠ No Fun

7. electracity

electracity Active Member

There should be a software piece announced too. Something that can show total power: car, solar, and storage. Musk has talked repeatedly of how Tesla owners are interested in integrating solar with car charging. While vehicle to grid is probably too complicated, they will likely try to integrate all the pieces except the car providing power to the home.

8. Dstrohl

Dstrohl Member

I'm voting for the snake charger being added to SuperChargers... if he plans on showing his cross country autonomous drive by the end of next year, he will have to start installing those along the route pretty soon.

#1 seems unlikely (the new home charger) as I am not sure what they could do that would be significantly better, though I'm happy to be wrong)

#2/#3 seem like they fit the announcement and venue better, doesn't the powerwall only have about 10% of the power of a 60KW battery? that seems like it woudl be tough to justify buying enough PW's to make a dent in the battery.

#4 makes sense, but I dont know enough about solar technology to know... would the inverter be called a "charger"? (he did specifically say "charger").

9. AlexT

AlexT Member

10. AssortedBread

AssortedBread Member

Astute prediction, maybe its part of the 8.1 update slated for December.

Tesla to push new UI improvements in ‘coming weeks’ and OS 8.1 in December, says Musk

11. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Not finding a link to the actual event on a general web search or Livestream. Any help?

12. danyL

danyL New Member

tesla.com , according to Elon's tweet

13. jgillispie

jgillispie Member

It
    I'm hoping it pops up at the top of the hour.

14. danyL

danyL New Member

expect a delay as usual. :)

15. AssortedBread

AssortedBread Member

The Livestream will appear on Tesla.com. But only begin at 5:30PM Pacific standard time. 8:30PM East Coast time.

16. MikeC

MikeC Active Member

Nope, he said 5:30 sharp because they need the sunlight.

17. Ulmo

Ulmo Active Member

#37 Ulmo, Oct 28, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
    I went to Tesla.Com and clicked to the event, and after signup, the livestream video window appeared. URL now says https://powerwall.tesla.com, titled Powerwall 2 by Tesla.

My live stream just started some jivy music with the video countdown. Started at 27:00, now at 26:03. Calculates to a 15 second delay here.

Other details: They collect name and email, and a checkbox for interested in solar, and then on the next screen it says "Orders will begin soon" next to the livestream box.

Update 1: around 15-17 minutes left, voices and mic positioning could be heard in the background. That might be the music track they're playing, or other sources (event?) mixed in. I don't know this particular musical piece, so I can't tell.

I searched for Periscope of it, and all I found were Halloween events at Universal Studios and other events and stuff.

Update 2: Now all site visits to Tesla.Com go directly to the livestream (signup page). (~8 minutes left.)

Update 3: The countdown has disappeared. (Now 5:26PM PDT.)

Update 4: at 17:29:10 PDT or so, my screen went black. Now I'm back to the waiting title screen with music playing. I didn't touch anything.

Now 17:31:30 PDT, and nothing but music and title screen.

Update 5 off topic: I forgot how engaging Periscope can seem at first. It seems exciting listening to this hold music watching the other Periscopers.

Update 6: Announcement given that it will be a couple more minutes. 17:36PDT

Update 7: Tweet: 17:36PDT:
    Elon Musk ‏@elonmusk 17s ago
    Pushing start to ~5:45 to allow more people to arrive

Update 8: Tweet 17:40PDT:
    TeslaVerified account
    ‏@TeslaMotors
    See what the future looks like. Tune in at 5:45pm PT http://ts.la/13ZJL
    5:40 PM - 28 Oct 2016

Update 9: Saw some posts on Reddit discussing which browser to use. Tesla solar roof + Powerwall 2.0 event - webcast starts 5:30pm PDT (UTC-7) [official thread] • /r/teslamotors

Update 10: It's live! Lyndon Rive, CEO of Solar City!

• Like x 1
  18. engle

engle Member

Dennis Pascual (@dennis_p) | Twitter

"The @TeslaMotors event today is in famous Wisteria Lane of Desperate Housewives fame..."

I expect to see the new integrated roof product installed on one of these homes on the set and used for Elon's demo.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like x 1
  19. ChrisC

ChrisC see signature

#39 ChrisC, Oct 28, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
    Thanks for searching. http://www.teslamotors.com/livestream also forwards to the Powerwall URL above.

If someone finds a direct link to the livestream, please post it!

EDIT: I'm looking for a link that does not require giving them my email address. As it turns out, a bogus email address works ...

• Funny x 1
  20. tinm

tinm 2013 S85 Owner

Is there actual video? I'm seeing a black screen in Chrome, and a "TESLA 10.28.16" sky shot in Firefox, but no live video or motion or sound

UPDATE - never mind some audio pop music now playing. Um, it's 5:30pm sharp. Hello, Elon?

• Funny x 1