Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla's "solar roof" Event - Hosted at Universal Studios

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It looks like a metal roof replacement. If true, the non solar pieces are just metal roof colored to match the solar sections.

New upscale housing developments would be a good target market for this sort of product. The U.S. alone adds about a million new homes each year.

I agree with your description of "upscale." However, I've lived in Northern Virginia and Portland Oregon, and - anecdotally - 99.5% of residential developers are cheaper than a General Motors interior designer for the Corvette. I hate government intervention... but it may be the only way.

Reactions: Xenoilphobe
TMC's response - as judged by number of posts / threads - to the October 28 event feels muted.

I know this is the Tesla Motors Club; but... am hoping the event --- live streamed at 530p PST --- gets the team excited.

No alcohol ≠ No Fun

There should be a software piece announced too. Something that can show total power: car, solar, and storage. Musk has talked repeatedly of how Tesla owners are interested in integrating solar with car charging. While vehicle to grid is probably too complicated, they will likely try to integrate all the pieces except the car providing power to the home.

There is also a new charger being revealed. My guesses...

1) it's a home charger, not a new kind of commercial-grade deal or Supercharger

2) it's integrated into the Powerwall case; so instead of that silver lump, all you see is the cable going into the Powerwall. It is an option that can be added to the Powerwall when configuring. (not everyone will need it)

3) no-one likes 92% x 92% which might be the electrical efficiency of their wall inverter taking the DC in the batteries and turning it into AC, plus the AC charger inside the car turning it back into DC; and since the painstakingly-accumulated kWh inside the Powerwall are valuable, Tesla will make an attempt at DC charging directly out of this Powerwall, which will be lauded for its efficiency and speed. (it will be faster to charge than the 19.2kW AC charging we have now)

4) this may also mark the debut of Tesla's new inverter. Solar City have been installing inverters from SolarEdge up 'til now, but I've read a few times that Tesla will want to have a go at it, since arguably they have some experience with inverters! And they like to do things vertically...

5) as for the snake charger... I think that is a long shot. But I'd be delighted to be wrong.

I'm voting for the snake charger being added to SuperChargers... if he plans on showing his cross country autonomous drive by the end of next year, he will have to start installing those along the route pretty soon.

#1 seems unlikely (the new home charger) as I am not sure what they could do that would be significantly better, though I'm happy to be wrong)

#2/#3 seem like they fit the announcement and venue better, doesn't the powerwall only have about 10% of the power of a 60KW battery? that seems like it woudl be tough to justify buying enough PW's to make a dent in the battery.

#4 makes sense, but I dont know enough about solar technology to know... would the inverter be called a "charger"? (he did specifically say "charger").

There should be a software piece announced too. Something that can show total power: car, solar, and storage. Musk has talked repeatedly of how Tesla owners are interested in integrating solar with car charging. While vehicle to grid is probably too complicated, they will likely try to integrate all the pieces except the car providing power to the home.

Astute prediction, maybe its part of the 8.1 update slated for December.

Tesla to push new UI improvements in ‘coming weeks’ and OS 8.1 in December, says Musk

I went to Tesla.Com and clicked to the event, and after signup, the livestream video window appeared. URL now says https://powerwall.tesla.com, titled Powerwall 2 by Tesla.

My live stream just started some jivy music with the video countdown. Started at 27:00, now at 26:03. Calculates to a 15 second delay here.

Other details: They collect name and email, and a checkbox for interested in solar, and then on the next screen it says "Orders will begin soon" next to the livestream box.

Update 1: around 15-17 minutes left, voices and mic positioning could be heard in the background. That might be the music track they're playing, or other sources (event?) mixed in. I don't know this particular musical piece, so I can't tell.

I searched for Periscope of it, and all I found were Halloween events at Universal Studios and other events and stuff.

Update 2: Now all site visits to Tesla.Com go directly to the livestream (signup page). (~8 minutes left.)

Update 3: The countdown has disappeared. (Now 5:26PM PDT.)

Update 4: at 17:29:10 PDT or so, my screen went black. Now I'm back to the waiting title screen with music playing. I didn't touch anything.

Now 17:31:30 PDT, and nothing but music and title screen.

Update 5 off topic: I forgot how engaging Periscope can seem at first. It seems exciting listening to this hold music watching the other Periscopers.

Update 6: Announcement given that it will be a couple more minutes. 17:36PDT

Update 7: Tweet: 17:36PDT:
Elon Musk ‏@elonmusk 17s ago
Pushing start to ~5:45 to allow more people to arrive

Update 8: Tweet 17:40PDT:
TeslaVerified account
‏@TeslaMotors
See what the future looks like. Tune in at 5:45pm PT http://ts.la/13ZJL
5:40 PM - 28 Oct 2016

Update 9: Saw some posts on Reddit discussing which browser to use. Tesla solar roof + Powerwall 2.0 event - webcast starts 5:30pm PDT (UTC-7) [official thread] • /r/teslamotors

Update 10: It's live! Lyndon Rive, CEO of Solar City!

Last edited:
Reactions: NJ Plugin
Dennis Pascual (@dennis_p) | Twitter

"The @TeslaMotors event today is in famous Wisteria Lane of Desperate Housewives fame..."

I expect to see the new integrated roof product installed on one of these homes on the set and used for Elon's demo.

Cv5M5l0UkAAGZfb.jpg

Cv5M57JUIAEXhhW.jpg

Cv5M6J2VMAAorMr.jpg

Reactions: DDotJ
I went to Tesla.Com and clicked to the event, and after signup, the livestream video window appeared. URL now says https://powerwall.tesla.com, titled Powerwall 2 by Tesla.

I searched for Periscope of it, and all I found were Halloween events at Universal Studios and other events and stuff.

Update 2: Now all site visits to Tesla.Com go directly to the livestream. (~8 minutes left.)

Thanks for searching. http://www.teslamotors.com/livestream also forwards to the Powerwall URL above.

If someone finds a direct link to the livestream, please post it!

EDIT: I'm looking for a link that does not require giving them my email address. As it turns out, a bogus email address works ...

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: SW2Fiddler