Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Teslogic — Mobile Instrument Cluster for Tesla Model 3/Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AKAADAP:

Are you powering the phone off when leaving it? As in the heat problem is all solar gain?
The goal was to have a display that I did not have to mess with, so it was being left on and plugged in to power. The first problem is that when the temperature was too high to charge the battery, a popup window would show up blocking the view of the speed display. If you clicked ok to get rid of it, it would re-appear within a minute. If it got hot enough, the phone would close all apps.
Phones are not designed to handle the temperatures in a parked car, so it is impractical to use a phone as a permanent display in a car.
I guess the ideal solution would be a small android tablet designed to be used in a car. Even better would be one vetted by Teslogic.

Ak:

I agree completely.

Did ever try the methods I showed some pages back that would allow an Android to auto power off and on? Should have stopped the heat problems...
No. I don't believe that it would help. The USB power outlets remain powered on when Sentry mode is on, so the phone would remain on. To have the phone power off would require that the app recognize when the car was parked for a while to allow the phone to turn off, but then, what signal would you use to tell the phone to turn back on? Best you could do is have the display turn off but the app still running when parked.

Reactions: jebinc
No. I don't believe that it would help. The USB power outlets remain powered on when Sentry mode is on, so the phone would remain on. To have the phone power off would require that the app recognize when the car was parked for a while to allow the phone to turn off, but then, what signal would you use to tell the phone to turn back on? Best you could do is have the display turn off but the app still running when parked.
Just use a Chargie to keep your phone at 50% or less. I've been using it on roadtrips and charging every night for a few years now.

finding and tapping into keyed power should not be that hard..

Having had this display since it first came out, honestly just use your phone. All of these permanent installations are trying to put a square peg in a round hole. There are plenty integrated solutions out there from Hannshow etc. this works SO much better with a phone a phone mount behind the dash. You'll save yourselves a lot of headache putting the round peg into the round hole.

Having had this display since it first came out, honestly just use your phone. All of these permanent installations are trying to put a square peg in a round hole. There are plenty integrated solutions out there from Hannshow etc. this works SO much better with a phone a phone mount behind the dash. You'll save yourselves a lot of headache putting the round peg into the round hole.
You don’t need any of those round or square pegs. Why waste your energy, time, money on something that you don’t need?

stil, the display is powered at all times? seems a heck of a power drain.
No, it is not powered at all times. But it's powered at all sorts of random times. For instance, whenever you use the app remotely it wakes up the screen. It wakes up anytime you touch the door handles. It's on whenever you are charging. It is on all the time you are using sentry.

It has zero connection to the car being "locked," and nothing in the car is tied to it being locked, as that is just a state on the CAN bus.

And none of this is shocking, as it's a 12V system.

Reactions: Perscitus
No, it is not powered at all times. But it's powered at all sorts of random times. For instance, whenever you use the app remotely it wakes up the screen. It wakes up anytime you touch the door handles. It's on whenever you are charging. It is on all the time you are using sentry.

It has zero connection to the car being "locked," and nothing in the car is tied to it being locked, as that is just a state on the CAN bus.

And none of this is shocking, as it's a 12V system.
Quick searc and the manuals clarify:

ZDrgXEp.jpg

drats. Not good, AK and I have similar wants In this regard. How about DRL’s and a relay? Or:

Note
Model 3 has a series of LED lights along the rim of the headlights, also referred to as "signature" lights. These lights automatically turn on whenever Model 3 is powered on and a drive mode (Drive or Reverse) is engaged.

you're sur about that ? where did you find this info please ?
This is common knowledge for anyone familiar with the Tesla electrical system. A simple search for LIN BUS on this site or Tesla headlight LIN on the broad internet will show you many references. You can also just search for headlights on ebay and look at the 3 pin connector for a headlight with 10's of functions.

You're talking about a headlight that can steer around corners and spell TESLA on a wall, and you think that there's a simple switched power to the light? Here's a teardown video:

You can also find all this info in the Tesla service manuals which are free at service.tesla.com. Go dig through the wiring diagrams there and find a nice switched 12V.

What you guys really need is support in the app for putting the display to sleep when the car is off. It's snooping the CAN bus, and it would know. Have you guys tried asking TesLogic about adding such functionality?
The open source Tesla phone app project does this already. There's no "off" for the car, so they track the on/off state of the center screen. That being said, Android's security policies don't let an app do things like turn a phone off or do much power management at all, so there's only so much that can be done.

If you're willing to do some work, you can use:
"fastboot oem off-mode-charge 0" to make the phone turn on when it gets power
And use tasker to turn off the phone when power is dropped. This requires some interesting use of tasker pretending to push the screen buttons for you.
All this is easier if you can root the phone as well.

The open source Tesla phone app project does this already. There's no "off" for the car, so they track the on/off state of the center screen. That being said, Android's security policies don't let an app do things like turn a phone off or do much power management at all, so there's only so much that can be done.

The app is currently keeping the phone from sleeping while it is active. At a minimum, it could LET the phone go to sleep when the car shuts down. Even if you then have to manually wake/unlock the phone when you return, it's an improvement.

• Informative
Reactions: gearchruncher
I hate beating this drum, if for no other reason than I don’t want to sound like a zzz. But: For these “App Only” solutions to ever enjoy mainstream success they must address these kinds of thing. I see:

* display auto power on/off
* list of known supportable display
* A semi permanent display option

short of that this is boy racer / cute toy land. I keep hoping though…

Hey, I’m new here and have skimmed this thread and have a plan that may be useful. Sorry if I overlooked someone mentioning this already.

I’m planning on using a dedicated Android device and use Macrodroid to turn the display on/off. I’ve written two simple macros. One activity based that turns the display on when I’m driving and off when still. Another that turns Bluetooth on when the display is on and off when the display is off. Then it’ll disconnect from Teslogic, allowing Teslogic to sleep. Fingers crossed this solves this problem.

My first android device only had Bluetooth 4.0 and I got a warning that the hardware was too slow. The Max Speed for autopilot wasn’t updating properly. I have a new device with Bluetooth 5.2 coming today. Fingers crossed it was a Bluetooth problem and not a software bug because I use Autopilot a lot.

Reactions: dafish
Hey, I’m new here and have skimmed this thread and have a plan that may be useful. Sorry if I overlooked someone mentioning this already.

I’m planning on using a dedicated Android device and use Macrodroid to turn the display on/off. I’ve written two simple macros. One activity based that turns the display on when I’m driving and off when still. Another that turns Bluetooth on when the display is on and off when the display is off. Then it’ll disconnect from Teslogic, allowing Teslogic to sleep. Fingers crossed this solves this problem.

My first android device only had Bluetooth 4.0 and I got a warning that the hardware was too slow. The Max Speed for autopilot wasn’t updating properly. I have a new device with Bluetooth 5.2 coming today. Fingers crossed it was a Bluetooth problem and not a software bug because I use Autopilot a lot.
The warning is also happening on my Pixel 6, a reasonably modern Android phone. However, everything updates as is should for me. So don't be surprised if an upgrade fixes the update problems, but you still get the warnings.