Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test drive before purchase?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will we get the ability to test drive the M3 before going ahead with our order when the time comes? I'm not sure how things worked with the S and X. With the accelerated production plans I'm not sure how they would be able to fit that in.

I'm hoping that they get some out there for tests drives, but I'm not counting on it. The one hope is that if you are designing a production line that can spit out 8,000 cars a week, it doesn't take long to build 100 and send them around the country for reservation holders to see.

So they may produce these theoretical 100 cars at the same time they make the employee's cars. That would most likely get them out in the field for plenty of time for people to see them in person. But I'm not counting on it.

I'd be surprised if they devoted any resources to test drive vehicles before 2018. There are enough people that have reservations that will be more than willing to go ahead with their purchase without a test drive to keep production going for quite a while. By the time they get to the people that have reservations that need to drive one before finalizing their purchase it'll probably be early to mid 2018.

Reactions: 808?
I perceive the customers for the Model 3 to be more mainstream than those for the S or the X. Accordingly, such purchasers will be less inclined to buy a car without test driving it. I sincerely hope that Tesla recognizes this and makes test drives available as quickly as possible. Neglecting this, I fear, is likely to dissuade a significant number of potential purchasers.

Normally in a special order situation where a test drive isn't possible, a dealership (yeah I know, force of habit) lets you make the final choice of buying it after it arrives. I am assuming Tesla will do the same and let you decline to purchase the M3 for whatever reason. If they currently don't do it with their X and S models, it doesn't mean they wont for the 3.

I perceive the customers for the Model 3 to be more mainstream than those for the S or the X. Accordingly, such purchasers will be less inclined to buy a car without test driving it. I sincerely hope that Tesla recognizes this and makes test drives available as quickly as possible. Neglecting this, I fear, is likely to dissuade a significant number of potential purchasers.

So, you're not talking about the nearly 400,000 that paid a grand for reservations to buy the car, right? If the point of an early reservation is to be able to buy the car in time to take advantage of the tax credit, those reservation holders might have to pull the trigger without a test drive.

So, you're not talking about the nearly 400,000 that paid a grand for reservations to buy the car, right? If the point of an early reservation is to be able to buy the car in time to take advantage of the tax credit, those reservation holders might have to pull the trigger without a test drive.

I think a statistically significant percentage of the 400k reservations holders would be reluctant to complete the purchase without at least a quick test drive.

Will we get the ability to test drive the M3 before going ahead with our order when the time comes? I'm not sure how things worked with the S and X. With the accelerated production plans I'm not sure how they would be able to fit that in.

Currently you take a test drive in your car at delivery BEFORE you sign anything. I suppose you could refuse to take delivery for whatever reason you want. You might kiss your deposit goodbye, but they might just let the next person in line that would accept the car as-is take it and not charge you... Time will tell... :cool:

Currently you take a test drive in your car at delivery BEFORE you sign anything. I suppose you could refuse to take delivery for whatever reason you want. You might kiss your deposit goodbye, but they might just let the next person in line that would accept the car as-is take it and not charge you... Time will tell... :cool:
Thanks, that's good info. I wasn't sure how it currently worked now or how things went down with early S and X orders.

The first couple thousand Model Ses were sold / delivered without people test driving them. The same was true for the Model X although more people were holding their reservations until they could drive one. We were one of those Model X owners that waited, mostly because it didn't matter much with the delays in delivery.

I am sure roughly the same will happen with the Model 3. Employees will take delivery and the next couple thousand will go to people that don't care if they drive it first. After that, they might do a few drive events again for reservation holders.

One more note: Once you test drive a Tesla you planned to buy - Game over. You'll be hooked!

Keep in mind that the sequence of reservation (nobody has bought one yet), will most likely determine when the configurator opens for you. Whoever completes the purchase agreement first will then make it to the top of the next queue. This queue will most likely be led by the high end configuration / high margin vehicles and Elon already stated that they will start delivery in CA and work their way east.

All this is speculation and even it wasn't, likely to change :)

I want to say I highly doubt they will let us test drive, yet as stated above it could be feasible for Tesla to make a few 3 for test driving.

Honestly I don't need a test drive , I know the car will be great (probably a lot of the 119k people who reserved without seeing the car will agree with me), more than anything else I'm far more interested in the total cost of the car .

Reactions: 1 person
The first couple thousand Model Ses were sold / delivered without people test driving them.

Inside Tesla - 06.05.12
5,000 TEST DRIVES IN 45 DAYS

How about that for a nice surprise. I’ve been waiting two years to say these words: “It’s time to test drive Model S!” Aside from seeing Model S, sitting in it, and experiencing the 17” touchscreen, I believe the moment most people have been waiting for is the chance to get behind the wheel. That time is here!!!

In order to test drive on public streets, Model S needed to be fully homologated, tested and approved by several governmental agencies. We have now successfully passed all of these tests and Model S is officially street legal.

Providing test drives to Reservation Holders has been one of our highest priorities for a long time. What better way to do it than with 5,000 test drives in 45 days? I am very pleased to announce that we are kicking off North American test drives the day after our first customer deliveries! In typical Tesla style, we are going big right out of the gate with 2,000 test drives in the first two weekends.

On June 23rd and 24th, we will launch the Get Amped Model S Tour at our own Tesla Factory in Fremont, California. Franz von Holzhausen, our chief designer, has created a great seven to eight minute test drive course that extends beyond the factory to nearby streets. The course offers a variety of experiences that include freeway driving, long sweepers, tight turns, smooth and rough roads, and general urban driving. It’s the perfect way to experience how Model S grips the road and loves to run.The Fremont event is just the beginning. Our second tour stop will be held the very next weekend in the Los Angeles area.

• Informative
Reactions: EinSV
I want to say I highly doubt they will let us test drive, yet as stated above it could be feasible for Tesla to make a few 3 for test driving.

Honestly I don't need a test drive , I know the car will be great (probably a lot of the 119k people who reserved without seeing the car will agree with me), more than anything else I'm far more interested in the total cost of the car .

As long as they put out actual dimensions for the car, so we can quit guessing how big it is...