Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas Hold Up!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Creeper report here. I needed to go up to North Austin to buy my mom a gift for her bday. So I went by the Austin service center yesterday and I saw 4 model 3's. I didn't get out of my truck but I saw 1 blue (maybe was spudnik's but I don't think so because it still had blue plastic on the handles), one silver, and one black. So there were less than last time I went but there was a black one that wasn't there before.

I then also drove by the showroom in the domain because my 6 year old wanted to sit in the Tesla's. I was talking to one of the employees because we were the only ones in there and he told me that they have 100 model 3's in Austin now. I don't buy it. He said they have delivered about 75 at the service center and 25 came from other places. I personally have seen 3 in the wild since November (I have seen a white one three times who is owned by another forum member and he lives near me so I see it almost every other weekend now). My wife saw another one. and I heard of a blue one in Round Rock before spudnik got his.

Anyway another thing he said is there are people who try to sneak into service centers etc... to see the cars. I told him I was guilty of lurking around the parking lot because I was trying to see the various colors outside (the ones at the gallery are all inside and they have cars in the parking garage but that doesn't help). He said the problem is people who sneak into the building or even one tried to portray himself as an employee. Crazy!
I’ve swung by the service center many times over the last few months. There is zero chance they have delivered 75 model 3’s. I think they have delivered less than 15.

That is a big shop, for the size of DFW it handles most, if not all Tesla repairs. There are a ton of other car dealerships in that area, they store inventory in some parking garages and other secured lots. Not saying Tesla does, but wouldn't surprise me if they don't have a staging area as well. I know this is one of the first group of M3's coming in, and all Tesla's coming to TX are already paid for, you would think that a delivery would be set up and the car would be moved quickly, but it wouldn't surprise me if they don't have another storage area somewhere. If you go by on a week day it's kind of crazy the number of cars moving around that lot and in and out of the shop.

I hope you are right. I’m assuming I can call the service center tomorrow to confirm for Tuesday and they will tell me. They better at least. I can’t afford anymore surprises a day before pick up.

Reactions: GDNTX
I’ve swung by the service center many times over the last few months. There is zero chance they have delivered 75 model 3’s. I think they have delivered less than 15.
I agree— other than a few to employees, they would have gone to owners and the Austin area Tesla owners group certainly hasn’t seen anything like that. In fact I know several owners who reserved a 3 in the first hour at the Domain and they don’t have their 3 yet.

The Tesla store/gallery employees often know less than we do, and when they don’t know something, they make it up.

That is a big shop, for the size of DFW it handles most, if not all Tesla repairs. There are a ton of other car dealerships in that area, they store inventory in some parking garages and other secured lots. Not saying Tesla does, but wouldn't surprise me if they don't have a staging area as well. I know this is one of the first group of M3's coming in, and all Tesla's coming to TX are already paid for, you would think that a delivery would be set up and the car would be moved quickly, but it wouldn't surprise me if they don't have another storage area somewhere. If you go by on a week day it's kind of crazy the number of cars moving around that lot and in and out of the shop.

When the North Houston SC told me they were getting 60 Model 3s I asked where they were going to fit them all and they said they had a staging area offsite.

Creeper report here. I needed to go up to North Austin to buy my mom a gift for her bday. So I went by the Austin service center yesterday and I saw 4 model 3's. I didn't get out of my truck but I saw 1 blue (maybe was spudnik's but I don't think so because it still had blue plastic on the handles), one silver, and one black. So there were less than last time I went but there was a black one that wasn't there before.

I then also drove by the showroom in the domain because my 6 year old wanted to sit in the Tesla's. I was talking to one of the employees because we were the only ones in there and he told me that they have 100 model 3's in Austin now. I don't buy it. He said they have delivered about 75 at the service center and 25 came from other places. I personally have seen 3 in the wild since November (I have seen a white one three times who is owned by another forum member and he lives near me so I see it almost every other weekend now). My wife saw another one. and I heard of a blue one in Round Rock before spudnik got his.

Anyway another thing he said is there are people who try to sneak into service centers etc... to see the cars. I told him I was guilty of lurking around the parking lot because I was trying to see the various colors outside (the ones at the gallery are all inside and they have cars in the parking garage but that doesn't help). He said the problem is people who sneak into the building or even one tried to portray himself as an employee. Crazy!
If you looked inside the service bay you probably saw mine. I call BS on 100. No chance. They haven’t even gone through that initial allotment of 7 that mine was a part of. I was at the gallery on Saturday night and the guy told me the screen in the 3 could be rotated to portrait. ‘Nuff said.

I agree— other than a few to employees, they would have gone to owners and the Austin area Tesla owners group certainly hasn’t seen anything like that. In fact I know several owners who reserved a 3 in the first hour at the Domain and they don’t have their 3 yet.

The Tesla store/gallery employees often know less than we do, and when they don’t know something, they make it up.
Same guy that told me the screen in Model 3 could be rotated to portrait also told me Model Y was “at least 5 years out.”

If you looked inside the service bay you probably saw mine. I call BS on 100. No chance. They haven’t even gone through that initial allotment of 7 that mine was a part of. I was at the gallery on Saturday night and the guy told me the screen in the 3 could be rotated to portrait. ‘Nuff said.

I didn't believe him at all. I found it amusing that he thought there were 100 delivered. If there were that many we would be seeing them way more often.

I didn't look into the service bay. I just pulled around back to see and left. I didn't even get out of my vehicle. I was walking around when they first showed up so I wanted to see if there was a new shipment. If there was a red car back there I would have probably gotten out to check out the paint.

That is hilarious that he said you could rotate the screen. At some point you would think that the Tesla showroom employees should have better training. I can understand them getting numbers of cars shipped wrong (but they should keep their mouths shut) but there is really no excuse for not knowing the details on the cars they are representing. Especially since there are really only 3 models. I can understand a traditional dealership not knowing all the details about an option package when the manufacturer has 20 or 30 cars in their lineup and then 5 trim levels for each car. But Tesla has 3 currently in production and a lot of the packages are the same across all three cars. They should be well versed in the offerings of each of the 3 cars that are currently being produced. I have higher expectations and frankly if they want to get the general public to help them overcome the dealership lobby here in Texas they should be trying to get over that "salesman" stigma. When the showroom employees make blatant false statements about the cars it doesn't help that mission.

If I was running sales I would inform them to not even speculate about the quantities delivered. I didn't ask how many there were in Austin I was just talking about how I went by the service center and saw 7 and I have seen 4 around town and he said "Oh there are about 100 in Austin".

Reactions: Pkmmte
I didn't believe him at all. I found it amusing that he thought there were 100 delivered. If there were that many we would be seeing them way more often.

Maybe that's the guy I talked to briefly that was one of the Austin staff sent to Houston Galleria when the Model 3 floor unit came in? He had me to the stating of "incredulous" in two statements, upon his third he got me to "interaction with this person is a complete waste of my time, I doubt there is even any peanuts to be found in this elephant dung". :(

• Funny
Reactions: 1 person
Maybe that's the guy I talked to briefly that was one of the Austin staff sent to Houston Galleria when the Model 3 floor unit came in? He had me to the stating of "incredulous" in two statements, upon his third he got me to "interaction with this person is a complete waste of my time, I doubt there is even any peanuts to be found in this elephant dung". :(

Not to continue turning this thread into a gallery employee bash, but I went to the Galleria twice to see the model 3. Opening weekend, I thought the Austin guy they brought in was pretty knowledgeable about the car, but didn't get enough time to dig into the questions. The following weekend, however, the "back to regular staff" discussion almost got me into a heated argument with the guy. This was during the Texas we have a problem days, and in the same breath the associate insisted that 3's were being delivered to Texas people and that he somehow couldn't comprehend expected delivery dates. When pressed on "When can we expect a three delivery" the go to response was "Well, it depends on what battery you order". He said this three times when the situation was explained, and it's like dude, come on, there is only ONE battery option now.

My take from the experience was that he didn't comprehend that we were discussing a real order versus some reservation hoping to convert to an order. *shrug* Sorry for length/rant-sound.

Reactions: Pkmmte
@GoneCrazy

There were multiple Austin staff that came in for the first weekend. I could have drawn the Clueless New Guy. ;) Among other things, he was insisting that a non-owner could order a Model 3 today and expect delivery before long, that the Austin store had already had such deliveries happen. I wasn't sure if he was that ill informed or it was some sort of script with the expectation that I'd convert to a Model S order once reality set in?

In any event the whole line of discussion he went off on was ignoring my already stated reservation status. Which I guess makes sense for the "ill informed" possibility, as having a 2 year standing reservation wouldn't make sense and wouldn't register with someone labouring under such a view of the world. *shrug*

Anyway, yeah I'll stop driving this tangent now.....

"before long" I guess is relative. It wouldn't be a 2 year wait like most of us!

In reflecting on the interaction, it really is that we are passionate enough to know all of the ins/outs of the what is going on with a vehicle we care deeply for. For them, it is just another day at work to get through.

Have you ever discussed anything with someone at Best Buy after having done all of your research? Same experience.