Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas Hold Up!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hmerrill3 I feel bad that you are still in the lurch waiting for your M3! If you can get to SW Houston I would be happy to have you take mine for a spin to get your “Tesla fix”.....I am looking for reasons to take it for a ride!

Thanks for the offer, but I got my "Fix" during lunchtime Monday with a test drive from the Galleria Showroom (or whatever they call it). I need to spend my time continuing to organize my garage so the car actually has a place to sleep at night. ;)

BTW - I noticed that any Tesla person you talk to on the phone can access your Tesla account and “make changes” that do weird things like make your VIN disappear even if they are just changing your delivery date!

Wish they would make that 5-figure $ amount that I've already paid, but the website hasn't yet acknowledged, go away.:(

My 1 Ton GMC Denali truck got kicked out of the garage so the M3 could snuggle next to the outlet I had installed when we built the house 3 years ago. Tonite the M3 is drying out with the driver door open after window film was installed today. Once I ‘donate’ an old couch that is in the garage everyone will have a spot in the garage. I am retired and have learned that all that sh*t you accumulate in you life is really clutter that nobody will want when you croak.....but I am sure my daughter will be interested in the Tesla!

If we are going to sort this out we need to state which company it was delivered to, there may be multiples which might explain the OK problem.
According to their sure, they are a tracking company, not rail. It makes sense, if you search a VIn and see 8 pee invoice.

Also the wylie office isn't a hub, by looking at Google maps, it's just a small office. So kind of no saying where those trucks are going

If your TX bound car has been transported by rail and is stuck in OK this is likely where it is at.
Tesla
7217 South Air Depot Boulevard
Oklahoma City, OK 73135

upload_2018-8-21_22-9-15.png
Thanks to @Charlesc83 who provided the info required to find this.

Question about insurance requirements at delivery. My ISA is stating that as a requirement for delivery, my insurance card must have my Model 3 VIN listed on it. I would have thought that showing that you have an active auto insurance policy for your other vehicles would be sufficient to delivery, since my insurance provider allows me to add new vehicles within 30 days of purchase. Was this a requirement for delivery in Texas for you? Thanks!

Question about insurance requirements at delivery. My ISA is stating that as a requirement for delivery, my insurance card must have my Model 3 VIN listed on it. I would have thought that showing that you have an active auto insurance policy for your other vehicles would be sufficient to delivery, since my insurance provider allows me to add new vehicles within 30 days of purchase. Was this a requirement for delivery in Texas for you? Thanks!
Yes it was a requirement

Ok here is a conspiracy theory that might have some weight. My coworker mentioned this and he is waiting for his car and yesterday they just postponed his scheduled delivery by 2 weeks. He has been probably in the process for 3 weeks already since he was first requested info like payment info etc...

So here is the theory. Since Tesla has to store cars in California until Texas buyers are fully closed on the sale due to Texas dealership lobby efforts perhaps all the cars going to Texas are rework cars. Imagine that all cars that have no blemishes automatically get dropped to a service center that can transact a car on site without having to hold the car before shipment. The Texas buyers are assigned a car that has to be held due to rework because they will have to sit while they get fixed which gives Tesla time to collect payment for same car. Now the rework could be small or large. Small would be missing a part that gets attached or something like that while large might be a battery issue or some fault that takes time to figure out or repaint. That might be why some Texas buyers get their cars quick while others have unknown delays where the ISA has no idea of why the car is taking so long.

I know my car took longer than some others that had the same VIN range etc... Mine was an end of quarter car and when it showed up (a week or two after other cars heading to similar locations with similar configs) it had been resprayed. There was evidence because there was overspray on my tail light and my chrome strip was damaged by a buffer. All of this was fixed/repaired by Tesla and Austin Detailing but it lends itself to this theory.

Is it that far fetched to think that because Texas cars have to sit on a lot anyway until they are fully paid that it also makes sense to assign cars to Texans that need rework because those cars also have to sit somewhere until they are repaired and ready for delivery?

Ok here is a conspiracy theory that might have some weight...
I'm not much of a conspiracy theory guy and this conjecture does not align with my situation. I configured on June 27th, got an initial VIN and paid in full on July 23rd. My VIN was pulled on July 26th supposedly due to issues with the vehicle though it could have been because I let them know of a potential delivery conflict in the middle of their stated delivery range.

My current VIN was manufactured in July, my guess just prior to the date of my VIN reassignment. I now have documentation showing the car being moved from the factory to a lot/shipping facility in Lathrop CA that is run by a (Texas-based company) on August 2nd. I don't think the relatively short period from manufacture to shipment to Lathrop supports your theory. For my own car I haven't been able to sort out its path or current location since leaving Lathrop, which the North Houston SC has told me happened on August 9th.

There are other Texas bound vehicles that are clearly being shipped by rail for part of their journey (the stuck in Oklahoma group). I'm still trying to sort out the travel path for those vehicles as it gives me something to do while I wait.

My estimated delivery is now August - October, which has happened before, but this is the first time my VIN has disappeared. Another thing that may or may not lead to anything, yesterday my IDA told me to send her a copy of my loan payments and she'll "see what [she] can do."

When I first paid for this thing, I could not imagine I wouldn't have it in August.

I'm not much of a conspiracy theory guy and this conjecture does not align with my situation. I configured on June 27th, got an initial VIN and paid in full on July 23rd. My VIN was pulled on July 26th supposedly due to issues with the vehicle though it could have been because I let them know of a potential delivery conflict in the middle of their stated delivery range.

My current VIN was manufactured in July, my guess just prior to the date of my VIN reassignment. I now have documentation showing the car being moved from the factory to a lot/shipping facility in Lathrop CA that is run by a (Texas-based company) on August 2nd. I don't think the relatively short period from manufacture to shipment to Lathrop supports your theory. For my own car I haven't been able to sort out its path or current location since leaving Lathrop, which the North Houston SC has told me happened on August 9th.

There are other Texas bound vehicles that are clearly being shipped by rail for part of their journey (the stuck in Oklahoma group). I'm still trying to sort out the travel path for those vehicles as it gives me something to do while I wait.

Thanks it will be interesting to find out what your findings are. I thought it was an interesting conspiracy theory though :)

Using that tracking link provided, I might be able to fill in some gaps for the route some cars take from Tesla to TX.

United Road delivered my car to Houston North from a BNSF Logistics park outside Chicago. So it went via train to Chicago, then via truck Chicago to Houston. Looks like it was a full load of 9 delivered to Houston North that day (8/14).

I was supposed to take delivery yesterday. Got a call as I was leaving that the car had not arrived and was quoted with "logistical issues" like many others have heard. I checked my VIN on United Road: "The VIN you entered was not found."

I guess they never shipped my car in the first place.

I would love to know where my car is now. United Road picked it up way back on August 9th (before I even configured it, since I originally had AWD, then changed to RWD), there's seemingly no possible way it's still actively in transit.

Part of me thinks that what Tesla has been doing for TX is shipping the cars to a staging location closer (like OK) and just leaving them there until the payments are finalized.

I would love to know where my car is now. United Road picked it up way back on August 9th (before I even configured it, since I originally had AWD, then changed to RWD), there's seemingly no possible way it's still actively in transit.

Part of me thinks that what Tesla has been doing for TX is shipping the cars to a staging location closer (like OK) and just leaving them there until the payments are finalized.
I thought something like that too, that they're basically waiting for enough of them to be there and paid for to fill up a truck. But it seems other people in Texas are getting delivery just fine, they just decided to screw a select few over. I am of the mind now that something else is going on than just logistical issues.

I thought something like that too, that they're basically waiting for enough of them to be there and paid for to fill up a truck. But it seems other people in Texas are getting delivery just fine, they just decided to screw a select few over. I am of the mind now that something else is going on than just logistical issues.

What if they spread out repairs of cars that are not working or have issues after production to other facilities all over the US? What if your car needed paint and they have a contract body shop in OK that is actually painting your car? Most likely this isn't true but I just don't see why they would try to just leave a car sitting. They are delivering so many cars a day I am guessing there would be at least one truck per SC each day arriving. The delay makes no sense unless there is something up with the car and they have it being worked on.

Reactions: SleepingLesson
Sorry, I don't buy a scenario where they would ship re-work vehicles away from the location the parts are located. When the vehicles come off the line logically they would be divided with rework vehicles going to different lots on site than those going directly to delivery.

More plausible is a scenario where they positioned vehicle stock either on lots or on rail cars in various hub locations across the country then matched them to buyers. They would then have to group sufficient numbers of vehicles to fill an auto transport or rail car going to a specific end destination. Delays could be the result of them trying to collect enough cars at a distribution hub to send to a destination. Texas complicates matters if one assumes that they wouldn't stage cars in a state the can't sell in.