Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas Hold Up!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally picked up my car today! Having a blast so far. Drove ~45 miles in Houston and getting ~230-235 Wh/mi mostly hwy going 65mph.
tesla.jpg

Final summary:

3/31/16 Line waiter
5/23/18 Ordered
5/24/18 Changed to Blue
8/1/18 added FSD
8/12/18 edit button gone
8/13/18 IDA contacted me to start process
8/16/18 got VIN via MVPA
8/17/18 completed final payment / sent loan info
8/23/18 car at service center
8/28/18 scheduled delivery date
8/28/18 picked up car!

For those still waiting, patience, you will be rewarded :)

LR AWD PUP Blue ext Black Int FSD Aero

Finally picked up my car today! Having a blast so far. Drove ~45 miles in Houston and getting ~230-235 Wh/mi mostly hwy going 65mph.
View attachment 329922
Final summary:

3/31/16 Line waiter
5/23/18 Ordered
5/24/18 Changed to Blue
8/1/18 added FSD
8/12/18 edit button gone
8/13/18 IDA contacted me to start process
8/16/18 got VIN via MVPA
8/17/18 completed final payment / sent loan info
8/23/18 car at service center
8/28/18 scheduled delivery date
8/28/18 picked up car!

For those still waiting, patience, you will be rewarded :)

LR AWD PUP Blue ext Black Int FSD Aero

Congratulations! Now update your signature ;-)

• Funny
Reactions: EfficientWatts
Thank you to all the all the Tesla owners posting here (even though we don't yet have it, we paid for it; so we ARE "owners", right?)

Reserved: 4/1/16 4am
Configured: 6/30
Paid: 8/27
Delivery scheduled: 9/14

Been researching through the forums to figure out how the delivery system works, to then see if there are ways to tweak it for faster delivery. Like everyone on here, don't like paying for something that I can't see for three weeks.

I know there was some Tesla meeting recently, but it still seems like there are more than a few bottlenecks in the system.

Y'all have any ideas how to speed things up?

For Example:
Doesn't AAA have 100 mile towing for free? What would be the issue with getting AAA to haul some of your Model 3s from OKC or FW TX to the local service center? No cost to Tesla, no cost to us. We get the cars there faster, and if we organized, we could even maybe get more than one Tesla on a truck at a time.

Any other suggestions?

Thank you to all the all the Tesla owners posting here (even though we don't yet have it, we paid for it; so we ARE "owners", right?)

Reserved: 4/1/16 4am
Configured: 6/30
Paid: 8/27
Delivery scheduled: 9/14

Been researching through the forums to figure out how the delivery system works, to then see if there are ways to tweak it for faster delivery. Like everyone on here, don't like paying for something that I can't see for three weeks.

I know there was some Tesla meeting recently, but it still seems like there are more than a few bottlenecks in the system.

Y'all have any ideas how to speed things up?

For Example:
Doesn't AAA have 100 mile towing for free? What would be the issue with getting AAA to haul some of your Model 3s from OKC or FW TX to the local service center? No cost to Tesla, no cost to us. We get the cars there faster, and if we organized, we could even maybe get more than one Tesla on a truck at a time.

Any other suggestions?

Put the dang Tesla semi to work that's been driving all over the country....

• Love
Reactions: louisTM3 and amietk
I'm one of the people that has been stuck in OK for a month. My sales person emailed me this evening to let me know that my vehicle has been assigned to a truck and should be loading on tonight. He (referring to the pictures of the lot of cars in OK) said most of the cars in most of those cars in the pictures should be moved or about to be in motion.

I think we are near the end of the Great Oklahoma Holdup of 2018.

Cheers

Some thoughts. I believe part of the trouble in moving cars from the Fort Worth Alliance hub is that I understand the BNSF facility is in a free trade zone (FTZ) and, therefore, is within a secure area. I'm sure certain paperwork is needed to get vehicles out of there. I also suspect that Tesla is shipping the cars by rail out of Richmond to Texas even before payment or contracts are finalized in order to free up storage space in CA. I don't believe it is true that Tesla will not ship a car to Texas until it has been paid for or the contract signed. The better theory is that Tesla will not start the special process it must employ to transfer title to a buyer in Texas until the car has been paid for.

I don't see any reason why Tesla could not store its Texas cars in the Alliance BNSF facility until it is ready to deliver the cars to Cedar Springs or Austin or perhaps other locations. Before that can happen, Tesla must have completed its transfer of ownership so as to avoid violating the Texas dealer laws. Some other person must deliver or "sell" the car. My theory is that the delay in transfering Texas cars out of BNSF Fort Worth is due to the security aspect of staging in a FTZ and the possibility that the cars had not been formally transferred to the Texas buyer when first shipped.

When Tesla sends a car from CA by truck, I'm pretty sure all the paperwork has been completed so the truck transport can just pull into the delivery center and delivery for a happy M3 customer is just a day later. This is probably why so many cars on United Road's delivery tracker are held up in CA before departing - they are waiting for paperwork clearance in the back office.

What is driving all of this, I believe is Tesla's need for storage and staging due to the ramp up in car production versus the unique problems with Tesla operating in Texas. I'm sure there are some holes in all of this, but it makes sense to me.
Yea, No.

Not in my case, Cashiers Check in Tesla's hands July 23rd. Vehicle was shipped from the factory on August 2nd to Lathrop CA. Story is it was in transit on the 9th of August and from what I've been able to piece together now has apparently been sitting in the BNSF Intermodal Facility N of Ft. Worth for about two weeks waiting on a truck to take it the last 4 hours of its journey.

Point is it did not ship until full payment was made.

Just got my date bumped again for a San Antonio delivery. So let's see how my journey has gone:

7/1/17 Reservation
7/29/18 Configured
8/13/18 Fully funded and first delivery set
8/22/18 First delivery date postponed because "your car didn't make it on the truck"
8/29/18 Second delivery date postponed because I don't know yet as no contact has been made. I just noticed on the website.
9/12/18 Third delivery date

I haven't seen any others looking for San Antonio delivery but just wanted everyone to know it is just as problematic here as the rest of Texas. Obviously overall I am still looking to get the car sooner than the original delivery estimate when I configured but making all of these poor estimates is very frustrating because I keep having to make arrangements just in case the delivery happens. I would much rather know it will take a month to deliver from the beginning.
Here is some San Antonio bound activity...
upload_2018-8-28_23-31-28.png

Yea, No.

Not in my case, Cashiers Check in Tesla's hands July 23rd. Vehicle was shipped from the factory on August 2nd to Lathrop CA. Story is it was in transit on the 9th of August and from what I've been able to piece together now has apparently been sitting in the BNSF Intermodal Facility N of Ft. Worth for about two weeks waiting on a truck to take it the last 4 hours of its journey.

Point is it did not ship until full payment was made.

Thanks, I'm not saying that does not happen. Just trying to make the point that I believe Tesla could pre-position cars in an FTZ located in Texas before the cars are shipped. I was told by a manager at Cedar Springs that Tesla recently changed in Dallas rail hub to Alliance.

Is anyone paying insurance on their car before they have received it?

I didn’t put an insurance binder on mine until the day after I picked it up.

My heart goes out to ya’ll waiting for so long! One word of caution (good news / bad news), when they confirm you car arrives at your delivery location, it may not be ready for delivery the next day! Mine (060xxx) was delayed a week “waiting on parts”. They are trying to ensure they aren’t delivering cars with problems like before the end of June/July!

Things are starting to look up for me. They changed my delivery estimate to 9/1, it was originally shifted to 9/18 from 8/28. I did not find my VIN on United Rail, so it must have taken another carrier.

I am betting you will get your delivery this Saturday! When they first said my car needed parts they moved scheduled delivery out a week, but then moved it forward to a Saturday delivery!

Fingers crossed for you! Now if we can channel some good MoJo for hmerrill3!

Is anyone paying insurance on their car before they have received it?

I am.. I had the policy start on the original delivery date and started making payments already. I followed @amietk and tried calling them to back date or postpone it but the rep said "maybe you want to have it insured while it's being delivered" and that it might be a hassle to cancel and start a new policy later. I figured screw it, I'll just keep the policy and hope that it gets delivered soon..

I am.. I had the policy start on the original delivery date and started making payments already. I followed @amietk and tried calling them to back date or postpone it but the rep said "maybe you want to have it insured while it's being delivered" and that it might be a hassle to cancel and start a new policy later. I figured screw it, I'll just keep the policy and hope that it gets delivered soon..
Why add insurance so early? Most insurance companies automatically cover a new car for a grace period (commonly 30 days) before you have to formally add it to your policy.

Why add insurance so early? Most insurance companies automatically cover a new car for a grace period (commonly 30 days) before you have to formally add it to your policy.

For me, my ISA needed to see it listed on my policy so that he could start the registration process before delivery so I had to add it. Not sure if that's universal or something specific to my guy's process though.

• Informative
Reactions: CrazyCoconut