Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

That very loud and painful "clunk"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After about 8,000 miles my REFERB-A is not doing so well. I just returned from a Coast to Coast Supercharger roadtrip. Two of the last legs were full to empty legs.

Max Charge on my old pack was ~250.
Last L2 40a charge from empty to full is 220 miles...

Its getting a little stranger.

Yesterday, I drove 195 miles and arrived home with 8. I put my girls to bed then about 30 minutes later plugged the car in. The car was off with nothing running and range was now reported as 0.

I plugged in and started charging at 40A at about 10pm.

This morning at 630am I checked the car and it reported a max range "charging complete" with 51 miles. I have never had a failed charge to date since I got the Model S in Dec 2012.

I restarted the charge with my phone and range jumped from 51 to 68 instantly. It is up to 90 now but i need to leave soon for a beach party I am going to have to go way out of my way to Supercharge. So much for the empty to full cycle on L2...

Its getting a little stranger.

Yesterday, I drove 195 miles and arrived home with 8. I put my girls to bed then about 30 minutes later plugged the car in. The car was off with nothing running and range was now reported as 0.

I plugged in and started charging at 40A at about 10pm.

This morning at 630am I checked the car and it reported a max range "charging complete" with 51 miles. I have never had a failed charge to date since I got the Model S in Dec 2012.

I restarted the charge with my phone and range jumped from 51 to 68 instantly. It is up to 90 now but i need to leave soon for a beach party I am going to have to go way out of my way to Supercharge. So much for the empty to full cycle on L2...

It sure appears you have a faulty battery. Many 85 kWh A owners suspect capacity loss, but I've not heard of anyone near 220 max... and your goofy L2 overnight charge seems to indicate something really significant is wrong.

I do think the battery is toast. I did send an Email this morning to my service center and just got off the phone with Ownership, I have nothing better to do at midnight...

I watched the charge like a hawk tonight. I started with 20 rated miles, plugged into UMC and started charging at 40A. Right away I knew something was wrong. Est time to complete 2h 30 minutes. I watched as current ramped down and got "charge complete", at 59 miles. I tried 2 charging stations and multiple current options and could only charge at ~6a for a few minutes. After letting it sit and calling ownership I got it to start charging again. Ill go to sleep as soon as I have enough range to make it to work tomorrow.

Screenshot_2014-06-08-22-20-22.png

Screenshot_2014-06-08-22-49-52.png

Screenshot_2014-06-08-23-23-20.png

- - - Updated - - -

Time remaining looks reasonable and still charging at 40a with 74 miles range... Time for a few hours sleep.:cursing:

Do you guys/gals have any idea of how frequently Tesla is seeing these problems? I just took delivery of my S85 last week. No problems of course, but I started reading more of this thread and am concerned.

Remember that it's often more likely for people to give bad reviews/complain/tell of troubles than it is for them to give good reviews/praise/tell of awesome experiences. If you want to get a more accurate depiction, you need to also read all the 'other' threads.

In short, don't be concerned. Enjoy your car and know that if something does go wrong, Tesla will be there to fix it.

I am hearing a "clunk" noise when I accelerate slowly then let off the accelerator (5MPH - 40MPH). It sounds like driveline slop, but I don't recall hearing it in the test drive vehicles. When I hear the clunk, I can also feel it a through the floor, again like really bad driveline slop. I know some others have had this and it was a bad drive unit. Any thoughts?

I am hearing a "clunk" noise when I accelerate slowly then let off the accelerator (5MPH - 40MPH). It sounds like driveline slop, but I don't recall hearing it in the test drive vehicles. When I hear the clunk, I can also feel it a through the floor, again like really bad driveline slop. I know some others have had this and it was a bad drive unit. Any thoughts?

The first thing to do is to check the torque on the wheels.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you guys/gals have any idea of how frequently Tesla is seeing these problems?

No problems for me at 25K miles and 15 months. I suspect that a large percentage of the problems are posted here, which is just a handful compared to the number of cars out there. Many folks join a forum just to find out about their problem and if others have it. As Krugerrand says, forums like this have more posts about problems than posts about great experiences.

Do you guys/gals have any idea of how frequently Tesla is seeing these problems? I just took delivery of my S85 last week. No problems of course, but I started reading more of this thread and am concerned.

You will be fine. The cars being delivered now have undergone several hardware revisions, especially WRT the battery packs, and are far more robust. AFAIK, there are no reports of this sort of thing happening to a D pack. These reports are mostly isolated to the earliest VINs with A packs, with a few reports of similar problems occurring on the earliest B packs delivered.

Yes, I believe this issue is only a small number of cars. I believe newer packs have improved over time. It seems those with early "-A" packs have more issues than those with newer B C D...

I absolutly love my car and have no doubt Tesla will take care of me. My car will be picked up tomorrow. Based on remote diagnostics and review of the logs it looks like I will be getting another battery.

The Tesla Service Center in Van Nuys has been absolutly fantastic with small issues and big.

Not a Tesla but in my Smart ED i've experienced a clunk when decelerating, coming to a stop and smashing the pedal, has happened a few times over the course of 8,935 miles. Scared the crap out of me the first time. Hasn't happened recently though.

Not a Tesla but in my Smart ED i've experienced a clunk when decelerating, coming to a stop and smashing the pedal, has happened a few times over the course of 8,935 miles. Scared the crap out of me the first time. Hasn't happened recently though.

I thought I had the same problem in the Model S. Turns out I has something rolling around in the Frunk...

You can get at least some idea by clicking on the individual car reports on the Plug in America Model S survey results: Plug In America (click on the ID's in the left column of the page to get each individual reports)

From this, it looks like battery replacements are pretty rare in all cars. At least for older cars, motor replacements and charger replacements appear to be less rare. But plenty of cars don't report any drivetrain repairs.

I have the same! I have checked lug nuts and they are at specified torque. I am preparing for a 4500 mile trip out to TMConnect so I have a SC appointment, but they could not get me in till the end of the month.

I am the newest addition to the "clunk" club. I am out of patience with all the problems I had so far ! I just got my car back 10 days ago with the FOURTH drive train and now got completely stranded ! It was really painful as I just floored it and than PUF! My back still hurts ! Fortunately I was not to far away from Tampa service center and they delivered me a loaner in about 30 minutes. Awesome service as usual from the Tampa service center.