Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The .48* updates haver broken TACC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

boonedocks

MS LR Blk/Blk 19”
May 1, 2015
Gainesville GA
I know people love the Atari games the Farts and the fireplace....BUT...I use my car as a 100+ mile a day commuter car which it does brilliantly. Can't use games and fireplace pics as I am usually traveling faster than park when in my car and don't choose to sit in my garage and play games after being in traffic for an hour each way. (rant over lol)

HOWEVER; the latest releases of 2018.48* have broken what didn't need fixing with TACC. If you have to disengage AutoSteer to change lanes, for example the weather is bad or your AP doesn't recognize a changeable lane due to marking conditions and such, TACC now sets itself to the speed at which AutoSteer was disengaged. ie Driving 75mph in a lane, need to switch lanes because someone is traveling at 55mph and AP/NOA can't do it automatically so you signal and turn the wheel to move in to a faster lane disengaging AutoSteer …….. TACC is now set at the slower speed you were at. I thought I was just imaging it and maybe I had done something wrong but repeating this many times the last few days just to check and sure enough the latest software updates 2018.48* has further crippled AP beyond the stupid "hold screen nags on long stretches of straightaways" Please fix this Tesla!!!! as it doesn't add any safety but requires you to have to reset TACC to the actual expressway speed every time!!!

I haven't tried this out yet, but it seems like a sensible change. If you have to steer to avoid something, you probably don't want TACC suddenly accelerating. It certainly doesn't sound "broken".

It definitely is broken. Do you use AP/TACC often on expressways? Moving in to a faster moving lane from behind someone driving dramatically slower making two lanes slower is definitely not a sensible change.

Also, the refusal to "add" new lanes that begin is super annoying. For example when a new HOV begins and a road goes from say 3lanes, to 4lanes. that new lane on the left simply doesnt exist for AP. I have to shove the car over into the other lane and knock it out of AP. Even worse is that it's impossible to turn off the stupid AP sounds so everytime I do this while driving someone on the other end of my call can hear it.

Reactions: boonedocks
Disengaging Autosteer might be for multiple reasons. One is what the OP describes. But there is also the reason that you take over in case of an emergency. Is the OP suggesting that TACC should increase speed in this case? The car, most of the times, doesn't know why you take over.

Having said that, in case of an emergency you would also hit the breaks I guess, so everything will be disengaged but still, I think, if you have to take over (for whatever reason), TACC should not accelerate. At least this is my opinion...

Reactions: kavyboy and Bballou
I noticed this as well. However, now I just disengage both by pushing the autopilot stalk forwards.

I think it’s a safety change that we all just have to get used to and they won’t change it back.

If I do have to disengage because of a lane splitting motorcyclist (meaning suddenly), I just long pull the autopilot stalk after engaging autosteer to bring it back up to the offset speed.

For reference, my commute is 60 miles round trip to west LA.

Last edited:
Disengaging Autosteer might be for multiple reasons. One is what the OP describes. But there is also the reason that you take over in case of an emergency. Is the OP suggesting that TACC should increase speed in this case? The car, most of the times, doesn't know why you take over.

Having said that, in case of an emergency you would also hit the breaks I guess, so everything will be disengaged but still, I think, if you have to take over (for whatever reason), TACC should not accelerate. At least this is my opinion...

It will be interesting to hear the different opinions of those that drive many many expressway miles daily with this new change vs those that are mostly relegated to side roads and short commutes. It is definitely not a welcome change.

• Love
Reactions: JohnnyG
Yeah, idk... this change sounds maybe reasonable to me.

With the old software, you risk unexpected acceleration, which arguably poses a safety risk.

With the new software, you just have to flick the scroll wheel a few times to re-set the desired speed.

That doesn’t necessarily seem like a bad trade off to me. But I can see how it would be annoying if you got used to the old behavior.

This behavior changed with 2018.48.x for sure, on AP2/AP2.5. FWIW I'm not really bothered by it... Took about one day to get used to the fact that if you're disengaging to perform an aggressive maneuver you have to use the accelerator as well. Which is something I usually do.

It's understandable why they made the change. Before TACC did have the propensity to surge after disengaging because NoA/AP have different following distances compared to TACC. For every time I now have to use the accelerator, there was a pre-.48 time where I had to flick the lever or tap the brake to get the car to stop accelerating.

I didn’t even realize there was anything different. Probably because of my method of driving. When I need to get in the loop driving, I just use the stalk to disengage, do what I need to do etc......and then quickly double click stalk and start over. I don’t much care for “forcing” the wheel independently out of autosteer. Kind of jumps a bit and I don’t like that.
Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: StealthP3D
Also, the refusal to "add" new lanes that begin is super annoying. For example when a new HOV begins and a road goes from say 3lanes, to 4lanes. that new lane on the left simply doesnt exist for AP. I have to shove the car over into the other lane and knock it out of AP. Even worse is that it's impossible to turn off the stupid AP sounds so everytime I do this while driving someone on the other end of my call can hear it.

I’ve never had a problem with this. My car regularly identifies and allows me to change into “new” lanes on the left or right. AP2.

I've never had this issue with AP2.0. I have 2 places in my commute where a new lane starts to the left, and with nav on AP, it in fact automatically chooses to go into that lane!

I know people love the Atari games the Farts and the fireplace....BUT...I use my car as a 100+ mile a day commuter car which it does brilliantly. Can't use games and fireplace pics as I am usually traveling faster than park when in my car and don't choose to sit in my garage and play games after being in traffic for an hour each way. (rant over lol)

HOWEVER; the latest releases of 2018.48* have broken what didn't need fixing with TACC. If you have to disengage AutoSteer to change lanes, for example the weather is bad or your AP doesn't recognize a changeable lane due to marking conditions and such, TACC now sets itself to the speed at which AutoSteer was disengaged. ie Driving 75mph in a lane, need to switch lanes because someone is traveling at 55mph and AP/NOA can't do it automatically so you signal and turn the wheel to move in to a faster lane disengaging AutoSteer …….. TACC is now set at the slower speed you were at. I thought I was just imaging it and maybe I had done something wrong but repeating this many times the last few days just to check and sure enough the latest software updates 2018.48* has further crippled AP beyond the stupid "hold screen nags on long stretches of straightaways" Please fix this Tesla!!!! as it doesn't add any safety but requires you to have to reset TACC to the actual expressway speed every time!!!

I actually got into an argument with my wife who noticed this ridiculously STUPID change as I was convinced she was crazy, and Tesla wouldn't do this, until she made me go through the motions and I was blown away... WHY??? This is dangerous and stupid... Seriously Tesla, WHO is making these decisions...???

Jeff

The TACC behavior change is absolute complete CRAP! If they're going to make that major of a usability / driveability design change, pop a message up to let us know! Or at least put it in the damn release notes!!

I can't tell you how confused I was, and how pissed off the people around me were, this morning when this kept occurring during my morning commute; especially seeing that I wasn't expecting this behavior. I kept assuming I was doing something stupid. This is absolutely irresponsible of Tesla to make a driveability behavioral change, without making it quite clear to it's customers. Some of us have been driving with the same expected behavior for well over 70k miles.

Let's say in the next release, they decide to add a delay to the regen engagement "for safety reasons" to reduce the chance of wheel lock, however never inform the customers. You've been driving for 70k miles with an expected behavior that all of a sudden changes without warning. Now you pull your foot off the accelerator, yet the cars doesn't reduce speed at the expected rate it always has. That is ridiculous and unsafe!

In my morning commute, I would get stuck behind someone moving quite slower. I would look to the left and see a safe opening, so I would turn the wheel (disengaging AS), while then applying some pedal to merge respectfully. Then I would pull my foot back, only to then have the car essentially brake-check the guy behind me after changing lanes in front of him, because TACC was reset to some absurd lower speed. Not okay!!! How the hell is this any safer???

I can maybe understand disengaging the whole system (AS & TACC) if I take over the wheel, but if you're going to leave TACC engaged, then leave it how I had it set. *I* know how I had it set, and I can predict it's behavior based on that. In an actual emergency situation (which is rarely the case) I would also be applying the brake, so that excuse is moot.

Last edited:
If I had to change lanes into a noticeably slower one, I would have turned off AP. The new behavior of TACC turning off when Autosteer is disabled is redundant and unhelpful when there is no intention to change speed or when the goal was to move into a faster lane. It could be an issue for new drivers to AP but once one is accustomed to it, one could anticipate how the car would have been behaved with the older firmware.

The TACC behavior change is absolute complete CRAP! If they're going to make that major of a usability / driveability design change, pop a message up to let us know! Or at least put it in the damn release notes!!

I can't tell you how confused I was, and how pissed off the people around me were, this morning when this kept occurring during my morning commute; especially seeing that I wasn't expecting this behavior. I kept assuming I was doing something stupid. This is absolutely irresponsible of Tesla to make a driveability behavioral change, without making it quite clear to it's customers. Some of us have been driving with the same expected behavior for well over 70k miles.

Let's say in the next release, they decide to add a delay to the regen engagement "for safety reasons" to reduce the chance of wheel lock, however never inform the customers. You've been driving for 70k miles with an expected behavior that all of a sudden changes without warning. Now you pull your foot off the accelerator, yet the cars doesn't reduce speed at the expected rate it always has. That is ridiculous and unsafe!

In my morning commute, I would get stuck behind someone moving quite slower. I would look to the left and see a safe opening, so I would turn the wheel (disengaging AS), while then applying some pedal to merge respectfully. Then I would pull my foot back, only to then have the car essentially brake-check the guy behind me after changing lanes in front of him, because TACC was reset to some absurd lower speed. Not okay!!! How the hell is this any safer???

I can maybe understand disengaging the whole system (AS & TACC) if I take over the wheel, but if you're going to leave TACC engaged, then leave it how I had it set. *I* know how I had it set, and I can predict it's behavior based on that. In an actual emergency situation (which is rarely the case) I would also be applying the brake, so that excuse is moot.

Unfortunately, the reality of AutoPilot/Tesla Software Updates means that if you want to be safe, you should not automatically install a Software Update without gathering feedback from various forums about how the changes will affect the various AutoPilot suite components. NOA, AutoSteer+, TACC, AutoPark, Automatic Emergency Braking are all separate software components that may be created using different neural nets and may react differently than the other software components in a given release. For example, AutoSteer+ vs NOA may react completely different in the exact same situation. Bottom line, we are beta testers, so it is delusion to expect everything to just work. The reality is you have to tread carefully with each Tesla Software Update. That is the nature of software development. You can argue that the software should not be released if it is beta. I can't create an argument against that. But, Tesla is attempting to push the boundaries and make progress. It would be nice if in a couple of years when things settle down a little, that they create a "stable" path and a "latest release" path for Tesla owners.

Reactions: berkeley_ecar