Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The beginning of the end of free Supercharging ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Out of curiosity, how are you getting your free supercharging dollar figure? Number of free kWh x ? Thx.
I have BMS Access. So I can see exactly how much supercharging I've done. Hard to get exact comparison to what I would have had to pay for supercharging, since I can't see the prices for supercharging, I took the rough average supercharging cost.
Comes in the most cost effective when I tow. Going from Milwaukee, to Creator Lake, Oregon towing my camper, alone would be about $2500 round trip in supercharging due to the absolutely asinine power consumption of towing my camper due to it's drag. My 24 ft x 8 ft cargo trailer, which I use locally, my 75D MX is lucky to get 60 miles on a full 100% Charge, and I don't do freeway with it. Thankfully, we have superchargers in all 4 outgoing directions from Milwaukee County now, which makes it do-able. Thats an easy $15 worth of supercharging each stop.

I have BMS Access. So I can see exactly how much supercharging I've done. Hard to get exact comparison to what I would have had to pay for supercharging, since I can't see the prices for supercharging, I took the rough average supercharging cost.
Comes in the most cost effective when I tow. Going from Milwaukee, to Creator Lake, Oregon towing my camper, alone would be about $2500 round trip in supercharging due to the absolutely asinine power consumption of towing my camper due to it's drag. My 24 ft x 8 ft cargo trailer, which I use locally, my 75D MX is lucky to get 60 miles on a full 100% Charge, and I don't do freeway with it. Thankfully, we have superchargers in all 4 outgoing directions from Milwaukee County now, which makes it do-able. Thats an easy $15 worth of supercharging each stop.
Great explanation, thx. What's your BMS access?

Just some napkin math, based on VIN's, there were about 250,000 ish total number of Model S's and X's produced with FUSC that is transferrable to new owners. I'm not going to count the non-transferrable kind, where it's only for length of ownership, and not life of vehicle.
Thats based on approximately 225,000 Model S's built and ~25,000 Model X's built on or before Jan 15th, 2017.
Again, approximate numbers based on VIN's I've recorded.

Factor in Totaled vehicles, traded in vehicles that have been stripped of supercharging. The number of FUSC vehicles is what I'd consider, fleet wise, to be rather small. I'd give a rough worldwide estimate of 200,000 or less with FUSC for life. MOST people don't use it a lot, some like me, do considerably.
I know utility costs have skyrocketed in recent months. I know we just got a double digit % increase here in Wisconsin, while at the same time, solar buy back was cut in half.
I think it's the pain caused by the usual state, California, and the absolutely out of control utility pricing (among other pricing there) that is causing a lot of the trouble.
Since off-peak rates alone in California are considerably higher than our ON peak rates in Wisconsin, which are already high, I know first hand as I've seen it, people who can charge at home camping out at superchargers. This is "unofficially" one of the reasons FUSC went away. Yep, Californians.

Just some napkin math, based on VIN's, there were about 250,000 ish total number of Model S's and X's produced with FUSC that is transferrable to new owners. I'm not going to count the non-transferrable kind, where it's only for length of ownership, and not life of vehicle.
Thats based on approximately 225,000 Model S's built and ~25,000 Model X's built on or before Jan 15th, 2017.
Again, approximate numbers based on VIN's I've recorded.

Factor in Totaled vehicles, traded in vehicles that have been stripped of supercharging. The number of FUSC vehicles is what I'd consider, fleet wise, to be rather small. I'd give a rough worldwide estimate of 200,000 or less with FUSC for life. MOST people don't use it a lot, some like me, do considerably.
I know utility costs have skyrocketed in recent months. I know we just got a double digit % increase here in Wisconsin, while at the same time, solar buy back was cut in half.
I think it's the pain caused by the usual state, California, and the absolutely out of control utility pricing (among other pricing there) that is causing a lot of the trouble.
Since off-peak rates alone in California are considerably higher than our ON peak rates in Wisconsin, which are already high, I know first hand as I've seen it, people who can charge at home camping out at superchargers. This is "unofficially" one of the reasons FUSC went away. Yep, Californians.
Great write up and observations, thx.

it used to be on the website but they took it down for a while now its on the app. click your account then account then charging then history then you will see a little download icon in the top right.
Thanks for sharing this, I had no idea it existed.

My lifetime supercharging stats since Jan 2017: 8756kwh for a total cost (if I was paying) of $3142.04.

My personal benefit has risen substantially in the last year though. Dramatically higher per kWh prices plus the opening of several more convenient stations near me == $2,000 of that $3,100 was realized from Jan 2022 to present.

Thanks for sharing this, I had no idea it existed.

My lifetime supercharging stats since Jan 2017: 8756kwh for a total cost (if I was paying) of $3142.04.

My personal benefit has risen substantially in the last year though. Dramatically higher per kWh prices plus the opening of several more convenient stations near me == $2,000 of that $3,100 was realized from Jan 2022 to present.
Yeah the prices have gone up dramatically. Like in 2017 it was $0.20/kWh and now that same station is $0.46/kWh, so it's a exponential savings.

2012 P85 - 90 was only larger option. I ordered 85 reman, new 90 arrived. 90 corked to 85. Would cost me $750 to uncork to 90. I've opted remain at 85
This is cheaper AND will keep you from ever needing to wait while the battery slowly charges to 100%, and you'll never be tempted to charge to 100% which is better or the battery too. I would LOVE to carry around that extra 5% that I can't use. In my car the last 7% is interminable but sometimes I put it in for fear I'd otherwise not make the next charger. Thank goodness for Tesla Cinema to distract me, but it would be nice if I didn't even have the option to slow charge that top bit.

I had a friend get a quote for $22K for the reman battery for his TMS, is that about what you paid?

This is cheaper AND will keep you from ever needing to wait while the battery slowly charges to 100%, and you'll never be tempted to charge to 100% which is better or the battery too. I would LOVE to carry around that extra 5% that I can't use. In my car the last 7% is interminable but sometimes I put it in for fear I'd otherwise not make the next charger. Thank goodness for Tesla Cinema to distract me, but it would be nice if I didn't even have the option to slow charge that top bit.

I had a friend get a quote for $22K for the reman battery for his TMS, is that about what you paid?
For a reman 85 pack? Either your friend was overcharged or additional work was done or Tesla has increased their prices.

Pic is what I paid. Remember I ordered out of warranty 85 reman from my Tesla Service Center (TSC). Quoted at $15k (includes labor and tax).

Lucky for me, 90 new came in and my TSC honored the original $15k. The TSC also didn't charge me for suspension upgrade parts/labor required due to 90 pack.

If I recall, original quote from my TSC on new 85 pack would have been close to $20k (parts, labor, tax).

No worries Tesla, my $5k "savings" went to (1) $1250 new PTC heater, (2) $410 fuses in DC/DC converter, and (3) $1800 MCU2 upgrade :)

Battery Replacement 1.pngBattery Replacement 2.pngBattery replacement 3.png

• Love
Reactions: israndy
Answer to thread title: yes already. I think the last time it was a limited offer for buyers in December 2022. With the adoption of EVs there is no reason to offer lifetime. But expect flash offers every now and then just to move vehicles out.
So, from my OP, do you think Tesla will involuntarily remove free unlimited supercharging from us legacy owners?

Tesla will involuntarily
I think your wording is not conveying what you're trying to say. Your wording says Tesla will be forced to remove that from customers. Maybe because some law says they aren't allowed to provide this anymore. But I don’t think that's what you mean. My answer was new owners aren't getting free charging except with rare offers. That is the beginning of the end for NEW free supercharging. I do not think they will take that away from legacy owners. However, as you know, they for sure can provide incentives for those customers to voluntarily trade that perk for $.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: israndy
I think your wording is not conveying what you're trying to say. Your wording says Tesla will be forced to remove that from customers. Maybe because some law says they aren't allowed to provide this anymore. But I don’t think that's what you mean. My answer was new owners aren't getting free charging except with rare offers. That is the beginning of the end for NEW free supercharging. I do not think they will take that away from legacy owners. However, as you know, they for sure can provide incentives for those customers to voluntarily trade that perk for $.
You're right. Thx for the feedback.

Reactions: zoomer0056
The optimist in me did not agree with the argument that Tesla was trying get rid of unlimited free supercharging. This recent Tesla offer is making me rethink my optimism.

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056