Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The beginning of the end of free Supercharging ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With regard to Texas, once the truck bros start enjoying the power that an electric vehicle has, they will switch over pretty fast. About the only thing they won’t have is the ability to rev it up and fill the world with smoke and noise anytime they want to show how tiny their weiner is.

The only problem with electric vehicles that is beaten by a liquid fuel vehicle, is the density of the stored energy. However, most people do not drive enough in a day to require more than the current battery technology with the notable exception of when you are towing. But as high speed charging starts to proliferate and is actually functional… Stopping for 15 minutes every hundred miles while towing might be annoying but it is doable.

Reactions: brainhouston
Tesla has ALL the numbers of cars in the area, supercharger usage, etc. and I would think that they are trying to install as many SuC locations as possible since it is now a revenue stream with smaller and smaller percentage of FUSC in the fleet.

+1 to this. No matter how we all feel or think where superchargers should go, the fact remains that Tesla has all the stats to pick and choose a location that is best suited for the growth and exposure of the company. Don't forget that Tesla is still a business and it's gonna do what is best for the future. A few or handful of people whining about not having close superchargers won't even show up on Tesla's radar; they're after a bigger population.

It doesn't matter how rich a geographical area is or how much of a tourist attraction it may be. If Tesla-vehicle-traffic never makes it to that area or is very low then there's no reason to put up superchargers, period.

Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
+1 to this. No matter how we all feel or think where superchargers should go, the fact remains that Tesla has all the stats to pick and choose a location that is best suited for the growth and exposure of the company. Don't forget that Tesla is still a business and it's gonna do what is best for the future. A few or handful of people whining about not having close superchargers won't even show up on Tesla's radar; they're after a bigger population.

It doesn't matter how rich a geographical area is or how much of a tourist attraction it may be. If Tesla-vehicle-traffic never makes it to that area or is very low then there's no reason to put up superchargers, period.
yeah but i dont see how they can justify installing multiple new locations in reno, NV and still ZERO in carson ****ing city. its a god damned charging desert out here. nothing between topaz and reno and carson is a capitol how the hell do they not have a single location in a stact capitol?!?!?!?

• Funny
Reactions: buckets0fun
yeah but i dont see how they can justify installing multiple new locations in reno, NV and still ZERO in carson ****ing city. its a god damned charging desert out here. nothing between topaz and reno and carson is a capitol how the hell do they not have a single location in a stact capitol?!?!?!?
Not that it helps, but the 8 stall Sparks location opened two days ago.

Traveling the lengths of I-70 and I-80 coast to coast.... There are SEVERAL places where having an X with a trailer and right around a 120 mile total range is a REAL PROBLEM. Especially with a 20mph headwind. They need to solve the middle-of-nowhere options too, and that's the places in between the population centers. Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Kansas, and especially Missouri, Arkansas, and Alabama.... These places have LOTS of charging deserts, and the third party locations cannot be relied upon to be anything resembling functional.

Reactions: tesluv108
Traveling the lengths of I-70 and I-80 coast to coast.... There are SEVERAL places where having an X with a trailer and right around a 120 mile total range is a REAL PROBLEM. Especially with a 20mph headwind. They need to solve the middle-of-nowhere options too, and that's the places in between the population centers. Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Kansas, and especially Missouri, Arkansas, and Alabama.... These places have LOTS of charging deserts, and the third party locations cannot be relied upon to be anything resembling functional.
I tow a teardrop with my car and using ABRP there was only 2 spots I couldn't make but there was 3rd party options for both, and both were in Utah 🤷‍♂️😂
But now that I have the 100 I haven't gone and checked out the route on there with the new data.

I don't disagree with you and as @BrownOuttaSpec mentioned, there may be local laws, ordinances, or just influential people whom are red-taping any supercharger installations. The fact doesn't change; we don't know the true stats of where tesla vehicles are concentrated or where they go the most, only Tesla knows that.

Fixing the "out in the middle of nowhere" supercharging issues do not benefit the mass therefore it's lower or low priority. It does inconvenience the few but is irrelevant to the mass.

• Helpful
Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
I think I may also have something going on with my car because I am NOT towing right now, doing the same speeds I was doing when I was towing, and I am still seeing over 440 wh/mi - even with a strong tail wind today in NJ!

I haven’t sorted out yet what’s going on but somethings definitely off.

Me too, but I doubt you would get far with saying your car is special and worth X thousand more to an adjuster. The insurance company would turn around and say well why didn't you tell us all along you had a "special feature" that we should pay you X thousand more for, we would have been charging you higher premiums all along. Ehh... it's a crapshoot, try to not get totaled and let the crazies on the road stay away from you. Seems to be a lot of people seeing a tesla and challenging me to a race around here anyway.

I am going through this right now, since a drunk driver just totaled my 2016.5 Model S with FUSC SC01 (fully transferable). I felt their estimator's methodology, which is both spelled out thoroughly, and then transparent in the itemized calculations, is a pretty fair and objective approach. For most options, Tesla's historic pricing is well-documented, and they simply valued each and every option at it's original price X 0.45 (for my age vehicle). That even accounts for many of the option differences between 2016 and 2016.5 vehicles, such as AP1 Autopilot vs AP2 EAP/FSD.

So I'm using their same exact methodology right back at them - FUSC SC01 was an included, distinctly coded option in all 2016 and 2016.5, but not in 2017+ vehicles. As a standard feature, their estimator assumed all comparable 2016 and 2016.5 cars have it, so no adjustment for the feature was made. But it turns out all of their 2016 and 2016.5 comp vehicles are through used car dealers - meaning every one has had FUSC SC01 stripped away by Tesla, so none of them have it or advertise it.

Meanwhile, pretty much EVERY private-party listing for a 2016 or 2016.5 Model S or X advertises FUSC prominently, half of them in the listing title, e.g.:
-"2016 Tesla Model X FREE SUPERCHARGING" (title)
-"2016 Tesla Model X 75D - Unlimited Free Life-time Charging!" (title)
-"Free Supercharging - 2016 Tesla Model S P90D Ludicrous" (title)
-"2016 Tesla Model S 75 - Unlimited Supercharge - Summon - Auto Parking" (title)
-"Includes Free Unlimited Supercharging and Premium Connectivity for the lifetime of the vehicle" (2016 Model S)
-"Lifetime FREE Unlimited Supercharging - Transferable" (2016 Model S)

So using their own methodology and making base config, mileage and other options adjustments on these private party comps, I got a differential value of $3500 for my comparable car WITH FUSC vs one without (the dealer ones). This is inc adjusting for everything, e.g. Model Year (2016 vs 2016.5), trim (S70 vs S90D, and all other options (AP1 Highway vsw AP2 FSD), with THEIR methodology.

Also throwing the current Ownership Loyalty Program offer active now ( I see 6 years FUSC offer on a new Model S, without even trading in my bashed up car) as another data point. Theoretically I could strip SC01 from my current car if I acted in the next week, since I haven't yet signed the title over to my insurance - because they're not available til mid-July to do so, so wrecked car still belongs to me.

Theoretically I could strip SC01 from my current car if I acted in the next week, since I haven't yet signed the title over to my insurance - because they're not available til mid-July to do so, so wrecked car still belongs to me.

Your insurance company will never take ownership so you will remain the listed owner in Tesla's system until someone like me buys your car from the salvage auction and transfers ownership. This is just one more thing I have to worry about when buying salvage cars with SC01.

Reactions: israndy

Tesla doesn't have all the stats.

They have no data on:
- people who haven't bought a Tesla because there isn't charging where they need it.
- places Tesla owners would like to go but don't because of limited or no charging infrastructure.

Supercharger voting may be useful to Tesla for that reason.