Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Carrier Dented My Car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car was due to be delivered tonight and I just got a call from the carrier. They dented the roof of my car. I'm not even sure how they did it. He was trying to explain but all I heard was white noise.

I'm still waiting for a picture to see how bad it is.

Tesla says the carrier is responsible which makes sense and they need to fix it under their insurance. But my husband says that not only should they fix it but they (carrier) owe me some money since now my Vin is going to show that I've had body work and I don't even have the car yet.

And of course we are worried about the Pano roof now. Oh geez!

I don't know what to do. Anybody else have this happen?

Tesla says the carrier is responsible which makes sense and they need to fix it under their insurance. But my husband says that not only should they fix it but they (carrier) owe me some money since now my Vin is going to show that I've had body work and I don't even have the car yet.

I think your husband is on to something. An employee of mine just got a "deal" on a new Infinity, and she was telling me she got the deal because the car was damaged in transit. Apparently the car carrier slid off the highway and all the cars shifted. They replaced damaged panels with new, and they were thrilled to get the break in price due to the "damage" being registered against the VIN.

My car was due to be delivered tonight and I just got a call from the carrier. They dented the roof of my car. I'm not even sure how they did it. He was trying to explain but all I heard was white noise.

I'm still waiting for a picture to see how bad it is.

And of course we are worried about the Pano roof now. Oh geez!

I don't know what to do. Anybody else have this happen?

Have you paid for it?

I agree with Dadaleus. Evidently the driver got too close to the sun;)

Your choices are 1) accept the repaired car. I would not. You have waited a long time and deserve a new car to dent yourself.
2) accept the repaired car with a monetary settlement. This is a long term risk about Pano roof leak, but at the worst you would need to leave the roof closed full time.
3) decline the car and have Tesla build you a new car. Maybe it would have a better build quality than some of the early cars.

If you choose 3 you will need to push Tesla hard. You may need to send G Blankenship an email.

I would choose 2 and get a discount. You need to push hard about it. I would ask for 20%, then 15%, and settle at 10%. Any less and you are being taken.

Good luck, remember righteous indignation can be very powerful and invigorating.

Your choices are 1) accept the repaired car. I would not. You have waited a long time and deserve a new car to dent yourself.
2) accept the repaired car with a monetary settlement. This is a long term risk about Pano roof leak, but at the worst you would need to leave the roof closed full time.
3) decline the car and have Tesla build you a new car. Maybe it would have a better build quality than some of the early cars.

If you choose 3 you will need to push Tesla hard. You may need to send G Blankenship an email.

I would choose 2 and get a discount. You need to push hard about it. I would ask for 20%, then 15%, and settle at 10%. Any less and you are being taken.

Good luck, remember righteous indignation can be very powerful and invigorating.

If I were in your shoes I'd go for option 3 and demand a new replacement car. Otherwise you have damaged goods no matter how well it's repaired.

Liz - I feel badly for you, I got a pit in my stomach just reading your story. Could have been any of us, but shouldn't be any of us. Of course it's your call, but if it were me I'd ask for a new car. Good luck.

I vote for the new car, too. Let Tesla and the carrier figure out the repair and sell that car to someone else. It's not your problem.

You paid for a new car, not a repaired car.

I agree with what she should pursue. Of course, I'd hate to be the person who buys that original car. Perhaps, it can the first official Model S loaner. Or sent out to a store for test drives.

Hi Liz,

I just heard about this. So sorry this happened.

We will ABSOLUTELY take care of this. I have asked for pictures.

Let me look at the pictures and get back to you. We will absolutely get you a new car as needed. Let me see the pictures and get back to you.

GeorgeB

Hi Liz,

I just heard about this. So sorry this happened.

We will ABSOLUTELY take care of this. I have asked for pictures.

Let me look at the pictures and get back to you. We will absolutely get you a new car as needed. Let me see the pictures and get back to you.

GeorgeB

Thank you George.
I have had nothing but good experiences in the past when working with Tesla. I'm sure that we will be able to come to a fair solution.

Thank you everyone who responded.
This has been a very emotional day from me. I've gone from the excitement of seeing the end of 2 1/2 year wait. To the utter disappointment of not only not getting my car but also finding out it was damaged.