Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Cruise Control Stalk & Human Factors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm with Knox on this one. To deal with the Model S's stalk, I usually tap the brake pedal, killing the cruise control, then when I have time to think things through I can take the stalk to task. The rockers + buttons inside the steering wheel of my F-350 (and my other Ford trucks) is a far superior system than any version of stalk.
IYHO...

+1 Ford system great. Much better than Mercedes. On the MS, I like the stalk as wouldn't want any more buttons on the steering wheel.

I'm with Knox on this one. To deal with the Model S's stalk, I usually tap the brake pedal, killing the cruise control, then when I have time to think things through I can take the stalk to task. The rockers + buttons inside the steering wheel of my F-350 (and my other Ford trucks) is a far superior system than any version of stalk.

You don't say what model of Toyota? My 2000 Avalon had a stalk in that position but 2007 Prius replaced it with buttons in the same location. Based on experience with Toyota rental cars I think the stalk was replaced with buttons in 2004. I agree it works well. It doesn't have the +-5 MPH feature. It annoyingly forgets its set speed once you have slowed below 30 MPH. ...
FWIW, my mom's 96 Camry had the exact same CC as bareyb's picture. Ditto for my 06 Prius (04-09 Priuses were Gen 2).

My mom's former 91 Camry (last year of its generation; 92-96 was the gen that followed) had it as part of the wiper stalk. I found this random pic on the net at 91CamryDX-Interior-3.jpg Photo by Camry1999 | Photobucket and I recall this is what it had, except her Camry had a tach in the left + smaller warning lights.