Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Cruise Control Stalk & Human Factors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree with the OP about the Cancel/Resume functions.

But I have, for me, a bigger gripe with the Cruise Control-- Like the Roadster, the car is built to do everything in MPH, and then those of us with a more civilized measurement system have to live with everything being converted to km/h. This REALLY is a pain with the cruise control, because the increments for speed up/slow down are 1.6 km/h (1 MPH) and 8 km/h (5 MPH), instead of the more intuitive, consistent and useful 1 and 5 km/h. Our speed zones in Canada are in increments of 5 km/h not 8 km/h!

+1 ... So annoying.

One of the finest moves by Tesla was to make many of the analog controls connect to the digital world which lives behind the touchsceen. This is the first car in which you could have a choice to "program" the stalk the way you want. Perhaps make the settings part of your profile? On/off switch might not be programmable, but the four axis movements might be.

One of the finest moves by Tesla was to make many of the analog controls connect to the digital world which lives behind the touchsceen. This is the first car in which you could have a choice to "program" the stalk the way you want. Perhaps make the settings part of your profile? On/off switch might not be programmable, but the four axis movements might be.

Great point. So many of the things people want could some day be addressed in software.

I agree with the OP about the Cancel/Resume functions.

But I have, for me, a bigger gripe with the Cruise Control-- Like the Roadster, the car is built to do everything in MPH, and then those of us with a more civilized measurement system have to live with everything being converted to km/h. This REALLY is a pain with the cruise control, because the increments for speed up/slow down are 1.6 km/h (1 MPH) and 8 km/h (5 MPH), instead of the more intuitive, consistent and useful 1 and 5 km/h. Our speed zones in Canada are in increments of 5 km/h not 8 km/h!

A big +1 on that one!

I guess your view of the CC stalk motion depends on where you're coming from. All my previous CC experience has been with buttons or sliders so I did not have to unlearn any thought-action relationships with the MS. My main beef with the CC stalk is that I sometimes mistake it for the turn signal stalk and vice versa. But that is gradually fading away.

The classic Gravely Garden Tractor had a left hand operated gear lever: FORWARD to drop into LOW, a 'save yourself' maneuver that you quickly learn. And PULL BACK to shift into HIGH. Thus with the MS CC I merely had to re-activate existing grey matter axions. An 'old-brainer' as it were.
--

Last edited:
One year and one day later...I still feel it's backwards. And still no option to use the wheel controls as cruise settings. If there was only ONE thing I could change about the 'S, this would be it. It bugs me every time I drive.

Of all the cars I've driven I hate to say it, but I think Toyota/Lexus has the best Cruise Controls. I think the location in the MS is terrible. It's right where God intended the Turn Signal to be! ;)

6DZbFhb.jpg

Of all the cars I've driven I hate to say it, but I think Toyota/Lexus has the best Cruise Controls. I think the location in the MS is terrible. It's right where God intended the Turn Signal to be! ;)

My Pontiac Vibe (basically a Matrix) has that exact same control and I hate it. I prefer the controls on the steering wheel as buttons/rockers.

There's probably no pleasing everyone. For me, I'm used to the Tesla controls now and although I thought I would, I have never mistaken the Cruise stalk for the turn signal.

My Pontiac Vibe (basically a Matrix) has that exact same control and I hate it. I prefer the controls on the steering wheel as buttons/rockers.

There's probably no pleasing everyone. For me, I'm used to the Tesla controls now and although I thought I would, I have never mistaken the Cruise stalk for the turn signal.
Toyota's started using that control that bareyb posted since ~1991, w/the generation of Camry that started w/the 92 model year. They seem to use it pretty much across all their product lines and brands now. (My mom had a 91 Camry that pre-dated that (car was later passed on to me) and a 96 Camry that was of the same generation as the 92-96.)

Like bareyb, I like Toyota's design. I've rented some Chryslers ages ago (PT Cruiser?) that had the same type of stalk as Toyota and I think all the actions were the same too.

I've test driven a bunch of Mercedes before and I really dislike the position of their cruise control stalk (just like on a Model S), as it's basically where Toyota puts their turn signal stalk.

Nissan has put their cruise controls on steering wheel buttons for awhile, but IIRC, the order of the buttons was swapped on my former 04 350Z vs. my mom's 07 Altima Hybrid. I just drove that Altima Hybrid today and the button order seems to agree w/that of my '13 Leaf SV. (My 02 Maxima had steering where cruise control butons but the design was totally different from the aforementioned cars.)

I've driven a MB S-550 for 5 years and am completely in tune with stalk placement. Consequently, the MS is perfect and "normal." Everything else is abnormal! I do have problems when I drive my Boxster these days, however. I pull into the garage and hit the right stalk to put it into park. Oops. Squirts the windshield and the wipers start, messing up the window.:cursing: Hopefully one day I'll learn.

I guess your view of the CC stalk motion depends on where you're coming from. All my previous CC experience has been with buttons or sliders so I did not have to unlearn any thought-action relationships with the MS. My main beef with the CC stalk is that I sometimes mistake it for the turn signal stalk and vice versa. But that is gradually fading away.

While I have had to consciously think about which way to move the CC stalk for the desired function I have realized the memory key to remember is motorcycle controls. Squeeze the lever to apply brakes, or to apply the clutch, or to apply the CC in my Model S and M-B ML320.

- - - Updated - - -

You don't say what model of Toyota? My 2000 Avalon had a stalk in that position but 2007 Prius replaced it with buttons in the same location. Based on experience with Toyota rental cars I think the stalk was replaced with buttons in 2004. I agree it works well. It doesn't have the +-5 MPH feature. It annoyingly forgets its set speed once you have slowed below 30 MPH. Has no means of displaying the set speed.

The +-5 MPH feature on my Mercedes-Benz ML320 goes to the nearest multiple of 5 MPH. I have come to like that better than the way its implemented on Model S. Easier to "gimme 70 MPH" than to engage the CC, note the speed, then adjust trim to the desired speed. Also will cruise at 70, come upon trucks or slower traffic and bump it 2 MPH to pass with authority rather than crawl past. Then stuff it down hard once past and only drop those 2 MPH. Or maybe I bumped it up 3, it still returns to the nearest multiple of 5 MPH.

- - - Updated - - -

So no one has a problem with the gear shift layout being backwards?

Larry

The gear shift stalk is in the same position as my Prius's windshield wiper stalk. Twice over the Christmas holiday (and 1017 miles) I stuffed my Mercedes into neutral at speed thinking I was turning on the wiper. Am happy it was smart enough not to go into reverse. Hope the Model S also goes to neutral rather than reverse when shifted at speed. Never mind I've put 13,000 miles on the Mercedes I have 7 years and 62,000 miles of Prius to unlearn.

I'm with Knox on this one. To deal with the Model S's stalk, I usually tap the brake pedal, killing the cruise control, then when I have time to think things through I can take the stalk to task. The rockers + buttons inside the steering wheel of my F-350 (and my other Ford trucks) is a far superior system than any version of stalk.