Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The D thread Australia & New Zealand

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, I also gleaned that stat from somewhere. I'd guess about half or less of them would be P85Ds.

I'd say the VIN does represent to some extent a place in the queue however not mhh's VIN or anyone who received their VIN before the announced interruption in production of RHD dual cars (like mhh). But I would say that the difference in VINs between me, Cynix, Trav etc... are representative of when our numbers get called.

One thing though, it will all bottleneck before the ship leaves the port. So mhh's car will be sitting around gathering dust until the last of our Aussie order batches comes of the line and the Freight Skipper starts tapping his watch in unison with his foot, whilst shaking his head and making kangaroo noises.

Although there is a large difference in VINs between Australian cars a lot of the VINs up to 89000 have already been built for North America and other locations, the Tesla factory is now filling in the blanks with RHD cars, hopefully it wont be long before you get the good news.
certainly going to be an interesting and exciting next few weeks.

Mark, Can you please let us know when you get your HPWC?
For a guide as to when I will receive mine. :cool:

brewster, you will get yours now if you ask for it. I got mine many months ago because I asked for it at a time that I happened to be having an electrician come round to do other work. So it has been installed now for a number of months doing nothing. I also bought a socket for the wand (from a third party) since it doesn't plug into the bit of plastic included in the box which is designed to hold the smaller US charging wands.

And since I have a carport and not a garage, every week I just clean the spider webs off it.

brewster, you will get yours now if you ask for it. I got mine many months ago because I asked for it at a time that I happened to be having an electrician come round to do other work. So it has been installed now for a number of months doing nothing. I also bought a socket for the wand (from a third party) since it doesn't plug into the bit of plastic included in the box which is designed to hold the smaller US charging wands.

And since I have a carport and not a garage, every week I just clean the spider webs off it.

Thanks for the info ZTrekus. Cheers.

I've had my wall connector for about 8 months. They sent it for my P85+ order and I've still got it. There's a better one coming I'm told. I'll install mine at the last minute in case there are any dramas with the car. I don't trust Tesla.

Lol. Mine was the first to be installed in Australia. June or July last year if I recall. Sat all lost and alone in my garage for the 6 months before deliveries started here. Originally, Stone believed we would be seeing our cars end July last year!! Ha hahaha! Yeah, right!!

Lol. Mine was the first to be installed in Australia. June or July last year if I recall. Sat all lost and alone in my garage for the 6 months before deliveries started here. Originally, Stone believed we would be seeing our cars end July last year!! Ha hahaha! Yeah, right!!
I can so relate to that! Mine was shortly after yours - July 2014 and sat idle until December. I remember confirming my order at 9:28 on the 29th of May - after 2.5 years on the reservation queue!

- - - Updated - - -

I've had my wall connector for about 8 months. They sent it for my P85+ order and I've still got it. There's a better one coming I'm told. I'll install mine at the last minute in case there are any dramas with the car. I don't trust Tesla.

Just make sure that you have a sparky look at where you want to install it first in case there is some remedial work needed for it. I had to re-do the underground conduit to the (separate) garage, and also upgrade the house feed. Mind you, I also upgraded to get the house ready for 3 phase in case I want to do that when the 3 phase wall unit is available. I'm tempted since I have dual chargers, but after 7 months I can say that 32A at home is more than adequate.

Just make sure that you have a sparky look at where you want to install it first in case there is some remedial work needed for it. I had to re-do the underground conduit to the (separate) garage, and also upgrade the house feed. Mind you, I also upgraded to get the house ready for 3 phase in case I want to do that when the 3 phase wall unit is available. I'm tempted since I have dual chargers, but after 7 months I can say that 32A at home is more than adequate.
Actually, I believe that with dual chargers, the upgrade to 3 phase is both automatic and free other than the electrician to make the in-box connections. ( I assume that like me, you have 3 phase cable to the unit).

Actually, I believe that with dual chargers, the upgrade to 3 phase is both automatic and free other than the electrician to make the in-box connections. ( I assume that like me, you have 3 phase cable to the unit).

The house is ready for 3 phase, the cable is wired up to the charger, but the cable from the street is still single phase. That cable is $600-1000, hence why I'm thinking about it.

Can anyone remember ever seeing a Ford Model E anywhere? A model T maybe... but an E ?

I googled Ford Model E and in the string of websites listed I found one with this quote

Ford's first effort in the commercial field was the model E, a delivery van with an underfloor-engined, opposed twin C private car chassis with dummy hood, 2 speed planetary transmission and central chain drive. Following that came the taxi cab edition of the Model B and the 15 hp 4-cylinder runabout Model E of 1906. None of these were very successful on the market. But in 1908 the Model T appeared. It had a 2.9 liter 4-cylinder L-head monoblock engine with detachable head, and it's foolproof 2-speed and reverse planetary transmission made it ideal for light delivery work.

I googled Ford Model E and in the string of websites listed I found one with this quote

Ford's first effort in the commercial field was the model E, a delivery van with an underfloor-engined, opposed twin C private car chassis with dummy hood, 2 speed planetary transmission and central chain drive. Following that came the taxi cab edition of the Model B and the 15 hp 4-cylinder runabout Model E of 1906. None of these were very successful on the market. But in 1908 the Model T appeared. It had a 2.9 liter 4-cylinder L-head monoblock engine with detachable head, and it's foolproof 2-speed and reverse planetary transmission made it ideal for light delivery work.
A fairly flimsy basis to insist on copyright, i would have thought, but with the litigious environment of the USA, not to mention extreme trepidation on the Ford Motors company part, i suppose not worth the risk from Tesla's point of view. Pity, SEX sells!!! Guess the next model will be a model "Y". Most people, i suspect will come to call it a model E anyway, since they will likely use their triple stripe "E" logo on the car.
Not sure where the "S" came from anyway. Sedan?

A fairly flimsy basis to insist on copyright, i would have thought, but with the litigious environment of the USA, not to mention extreme trepidation on the Ford Motors company part, i suppose not worth the risk from Tesla's point of view. Pity, SEX sells!!! Guess the next model will be a model "Y". Most people, i suspect will come to call it a model E anyway, since they will likely use their triple stripe "E" logo on the car.
Not sure where the "S" came from anyway. Sedan?

Ford may have stopped Tesla having S-E-X but it wont stop the worldwide population of Tesla's growing rapidly.

- - - Updated - - -

mhh's car started on 8 June 2015. Hope they haven't experienced any problems. Build should complete any day now. He must have been so far ahead of us in the queue.

Wonder what happens next.

a couple of the Hong Kong builds have been completed so that's a positive sign.

No idea why, but my build version 2 ( with autopilot sensors) in October last year took 20 odd days!! Never received an explanation, but my car is great with no warranty issues other than a slightly sticky charge port door. Perhaps it had to do with the signature red colour which may have been contracted out for painting given that that colour had been discontinued by the factory.

No idea why, but my build version 2 ( with autopilot sensors) in October last year took 20 odd days!! Never received an explanation, but my car is great with no warranty issues other than a slightly sticky charge port door. Perhaps it had to do with the signature red colour which may have been contracted out for painting given that that colour had been discontinued by the factory.

I do believe that on car assembly lines, the large majority of time is spent on painting the car.

Tesla of all places has robots paint the car. Elon said at the latest shareholders meeting that they are building/have built (not sure, he wasn't clear) the largest paint booth in the world which will do all SEX models...

ECARFAN is quite correct. Large scale car producers robotically paint their cars. There are two reasons toxicity and quality. They would never out source the painting of a single car, it would never be as good. And remember they don't assemble the whole car before they paint, they paint a partial assembly

now just thinking about the numbers

the operational "tak time" of the line is 4-9 minutes .... 10-20 hour production day / 130 cars per day (12,000 cars per quarter / 90 days per quarter), so each operation needs to match that or the operation needs to be duplicated or tripled or ....

if if it takes a full day to paint and dry a car (wwwwaaaayyyyyy to long) then they have 130 car bodies in que at painting

in addition if a particular car build is missing a part/ option, they don't pull it off the line, they just don't start that build. Modern pro tigon lines are all about logistics and cueing theory

just thinking about the numbers. Don't read too much into the posting on the my tesla page, it means less than everyone is assuming

still waiting for September