Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The D thread Australia & New Zealand

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just noticed that the Design Studio has the note under the Ludicrous section: "requires range upgrade". I didn't realise you had to get the 90kWh pack for the super-speed....

It seems that this is not a technical requirement, they simply want new buyers to fork over more cash for the top end model. The Ludicrous package can be retrofit on to existing P85Ds without the battery upgrade.

It seems that this is not a technical requirement, they simply want new buyers to fork over more cash for the top end model. The Ludicrous package can be retrofit on to existing P85Ds without the battery upgrade.
Oh, I see. It also seems odd that they charge only 4000 for the range upgrade, but much more for the Ludicrous upgrade. I would have thought the battery was more expensive than the few components upgraded for speed. Anyway, no accounting for the non-linear relationship between cost to the business and cost to the consumer!!

Re: Shipping info:
Yes, you can get the name of the ship your car travels on! My S85 came in March. I asked for the name of the ship and was given it after the ship left CA. I enjoyed watching the ANL Barega cross the ocean.

re: Acceleration: I'm loving the acceleration. Makes every day a great drive. At the lights, other cars are standing still while I'm already on the next block (silently and effortlessly!), without even flooring it. In Sydney, there aren't many roads long enough to floor it. There's so much power you are already in the next suburb before your foot's halfway down. The times when I've actually floored it have been exhilarating ... (Tesla grin)....
A P90D would have a ludicrous amount of power!

Oh, I see. It also seems odd that they charge only 4000 for the range upgrade, but much more for the Ludicrous upgrade. I would have thought the battery was more expensive than the few components upgraded for speed. Anyway, no accounting for the non-linear relationship between cost to the business and cost to the consumer!!

My take on it is that this is really all about flogging the existing p85ds with an upgrade fee. After that has been done, the ludicrous component will then become stock standard with only a fraction increase in the price. Meanwhile the existing p85ds think they are getting a good deal at supposedly half price. But it is probably 99% pure profit. The new fuse costs as much as a cheap calculator.

Well my best bet is that the boat leaves on 1 Aug Australia time with the Aussie orders... So therefore expected 7 - 8 weeks after that. Any advances on that?

Which means Brewster that if yours aint finished by then, you miss the boat!

Yes, I understand. Still no change for me. Is that a pure guess or is there some indication of Aug 1 ?
Thanks for keeping me in mind, that's rather .... um nice!

The announcement of the new "Halo" P90D even before any of the Aussie P85Ds have arrived is intriguing. It reminds me of the days of the Pentium 4 & AMD CPU wars where you could spend triple the price for an extra 5% of performance - essentially for the bragging rights.

I have no doubt that the new battery and fuse will become the standard options once all the old stock has been exhausted...until the next incremental upgrade further obsolesces our cars. Such is the way with cutting edge technology - today's supercomputer is tomorrow's workhorse.

I take comfort in pricing out a new P85D/P90D and seeing the $40,000-odd extra pricing over what my invoice states [watch for the dodgy "savings" price which sadly has now infected the Australian Design Studio] for what amounts to very little extra.

Yes, I understand. Still no change for me. Is that a pure guess or is there some indication of Aug 1 ?
Thanks for keeping me in mind, that's rather .... um nice!

'twas a pure guess... And somewhat loosely based on the theory that Tesla wants to make max deliveries before end of quarter... But they may be reporting their stats monthly now and so my theory is not worth a pinch of salt...

Unless I missed it, there is no indication that they will report either monthly, or by region. Why bother? it is the stock market analysts that want the data, it does not help the company at all. Just puts short term pressure to respond to the them.

regarding the new options, clearly the 90KW is an unreasonable option. Too much money and too much trouble for the small incremental improvement. On the other hand 0.3 second improvement on 0-100km timing and improved acceleration on 50-100km is a VERY big deal. For that improvement in performance, you would have to put out hundreds of thousands of dollars for a ICE car.

I do not understand the negative reaction to the $5-10K price for the modification. Pricing for luxury products has never been about cost, it is about "desire". It is a bargain, IMHO.

Apparently the pricing for the upgrade should be available by end of week. I put my name down for the modification, on my P85D which supposedly arrives in 7 weeks !

When can we put our name down for a Roadster with "maximum plaid" performance??

I do not understand the negative reaction to the $5-10K price for the modification.

Reading other threads on this, there is quite a strong sentiment that this fairly costly upgrade basically brings the car closer to the specification promised when the P85D was announced.

I have no view on this - the "must-have" feature of the P85D which compelled my order change was the extra traction/safety from 2 motors. The extra Insanity was a bonus.

For me, the next *compelling* upgrade would be to a substantially larger battery, such as 120 or 135kWh.

Unless I missed it, there is no indication that they will report either monthly, or by region. Why bother? it is the stock market analysts that want the data, it does not help the company at all. Just puts short term pressure to respond to the them.

regarding the new options, clearly the 90KW is an unreasonable option. Too much money and too much trouble for the small incremental improvement. On the other hand 0.3 second improvement on 0-100km timing and improved acceleration on 50-100km is a VERY big deal. For that improvement in performance, you would have to put out hundreds of thousands of dollars for a ICE car.

I do not understand the negative reaction to the $5-10K price for the modification. Pricing for luxury products has never been about cost, it is about "desire". It is a bargain, IMHO.

Apparently the pricing for the upgrade should be available by end of week. I put my name down for the modification, on my P85D which supposedly arrives in 7 weeks !

When can we put our name down for a Roadster with "maximum plaid" performance??

I do agree with your analysis Aussie Yank. The battery is hardly worth it. Even Elon Musk said to wait it out since they are expecting to improve them every year.

The extra accel option is very interesting. It seems to kick in from around 50km/h upwards. It is always nice to have instant acceleration when you want it - at whatever speed you are going. Even passing a motorist doing 90km/h on a freeway when he decides to kick it up to 110km/h when you are side by side with him. To have a burst of acceleration when you need it sounds like a pretty good idea to me.

----

Are the last 7 weeks the hardest?

I do agree with your analysis Aussie Yank. The battery is hardly worth it. Even Elon Musk said to wait it out since they are expecting to improve them every year.

The extra accel option is very interesting. It seems to kick in from around 50km/h upwards. It is always nice to have instant acceleration when you want it - at whatever speed you are going. Even passing a motorist doing 90km/h on a freeway when he decides to kick it up to 110km/h when you are side by side with him. To have a burst of acceleration when you need it sounds like a pretty good idea to me.

----

Are the last 7 weeks the hardest?

The additional rolling acceleration is the big factor in my view. The 0.3s improvement is in the 50-100 time so must be in the order of 15-20% better acceleration in this range. That performance is more usable real world than the initial off the line kick.

I don't subscribe to the theory that it should be free and it is what was promised for insane mode. Name another car company that would even offer this improvement as a retrofit. In reality five years down the track you will probably have an option of purchasing a replacement battery of 120kwh to increase range or replace your old one with another 85kwh pack which will weigh less than the original and increase performance even more. What other type of car could offer that potential?

guestinate on the cost is circa $8.5k ($5kUS/0.74 + GST + $1k labour to fit)

WA-T, couldn't agree more. Something like $7.5K AUD. A true bargain for a SUPERCAR. Bring it on! The only question is when can they do it. It is my understanding that they have to take out the battery pack to get to the fuse and associated electronics...but of course, they can change out a pack in 3 minutes for $100 bucks !