Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Incredible Shrinking Frunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yikes. Days like this make me thankful I have one of the original, RWD-only, super long microwave versions. It helps on my resale value now when people want storage. :)

I need to be able to haul a beehive's honey super in the frunk, and it looks like I can't do that any more here. In my car I can get 4 shallow supers in the frunk... zero if I get one in the new version.

Bio weapons defense or larger frunk? What would you choose?

Neither are very important to me. I have opened my frunk maybe 4 times in 8 months and 3 were just to show other people. If I were to ever really "NEED" the bio weapons defense feature I am not sure how long I could stay in my MS before the battery went dead and I had to exit into the environment anyway. LOL lol lol

• Funny
Reactions: hoang51 and Jumper
Bio weapons defense or larger frunk? What would you choose?
Well, unless you buy used there is no choice.

So let me make sure that I understand what Bjorn talked about in his video. He said the new 70D he showed in the video did not have the Bioweapon Defense Mode option. The current Model S configuration pages says that the HEPA filter and Bioweapon Defense Mode both come with the Premium Upgrades option, but that new 70D didn't have that option. So Bjorn's point is that now all Model S are being built with the space for the HEPA filter, and hence the smaller trunk, even if the car doesn't have the Permium Upgrades option items installed?

However, we still do not have proof that the 70 RWD car has the smaller frunk. Maybe it does, but I haven't seen anything posted about that.

I'm very used to the large frunk in my 85 RWD S. But I could certainly live without it in exchange for all the cool new features in the current production cars.

I use the frunk on a daily basis in conjunction with valet mode. As well, the microwave is occupied by a Tesla bag sized for the space.

So simple. I specifically ordered the car as RWD for that extra space.

I avoid inclement weather from Nov-Mar. If that changes, then of course I would invest in an AWD model and, since the frunk is of little use at that point, I wouldn't care if it came with BDM or not.

Wow, yeah, I recently bought a used P85. For the last 8 years I drove an AWD SUV, and it was a big mental leap to go back to a RWD vehicle. But, since I live in California, I realized that my "need" to drive an AWD car every day was a figment of my imagination.

I think a lot of people view AWD as a must have thing, while viewing the sacrificed frunk space as inconsequential. But now I've flipped to feeling like (for the Bay Area), AWD is really not important(*). While the huge frunk is AWESOME! I have a pop tent, scooter, plastic bin filled with kids supplies (diapers, toy, etc), tire pump, and a bunch more in there nicely tucked away. And...my car is as fast as a 85D! (which is plenty fast enough for me). So I agree it's a plus for the old school RWD models.

(*) my wife does still drive an AWD vehicle so I haven't lost that completely

I don't think getting AWD has much to do with "needing" it for most people. It's more efficient, has better acceleration, and has better handling all around (especially taking curvy roads at speed). Any one of those is independently worth more to me than a couple extra cubic feet of storage space in the frunk; together, there's no competition.

Reactions: Caligula and gsxdsm
I'd be amazed if they retain the large frunk on the 70.

Otherwise you have the crazy situation where the base model car has a feature that's not available on the rest of the range. Tesla have no interest in driving people towards the entry level model, so it makes perfect sense they'd ensure it has the same sized frunk as the rest.

I'd be amazed if they retain the large frunk on the 70.

Otherwise you have the crazy situation where the base model car has a feature that's not available on the rest of the range. Tesla have no interest in driving people towards the entry level model, so it makes perfect sense they'd ensure it has the same sized frunk as the rest.
That's the point of this thread, they have killed it off on the 70 as well so none of the cars have it.

I don't think getting AWD has much to do with "needing" it for most people. It's more efficient, has better acceleration, and has better handling all around (especially taking curvy roads at speed). Any one of those is independently worth more to me than a couple extra cubic feet of storage space in the frunk; together, there's no competition.
Not always, I have both a P85+ and an 85D and the acceleration is the same, and I would say in most situations the P85+ handles better. OK I'll give you the 85D is a little more efficient. Big frunks rule.;)