TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

The nervous ordering feeling

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by firealarm, Jun 12, 2016.

1. firealarm

firealarm Member

I posted some questions about my order and got a lot of help. I'm close to choosing this configuration:
    • S60
    • AutoPilot
    • Executive Seats
    • Pano
    Except for the price , my main hesitation is ordering and having it update. I know there's no way we can have any indication as to what will be released, but I guess that fear is always there.

I also remember AutoPilot was released in September and we're getting close.

Any thoughts?

2. Tazman

Tazman Member

Have a 70d In the production queue. Referral credit came out after I ordered as did 60d. I suspect the odds are reduced on other near term changes, but don't look back. It's like buying a phone or a PC. It will be outdated and you will still love love it.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  3. zambono

zambono Member

You will probably not see new AP hardware till next year.

4. rcsting

rcsting Member

The 60D is a very good price to get you into a new Model S. The referral code will save you an additional $1000 and you can always upgrade to 75 later if needed.

A new version of AP will happen at some point but we're enjoying every minute of our 75D. Good luck with your choice.

5. bmah

bmah Obscure Member

Er, what executive seats? That option hasn't been around since last year. Do you mean the next-generation seats perhaps?

I tried a couple ways to write the following eloquently, but failed, so...just do it. You can't predict what'll happen in the future or when, and if you order now you'll be putting yourself in one heck of a car.

Good luck!

Bruce.

• Like x 1
  6. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Active Member

#6 Krugerrand, Jun 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
    Of all the things in life to fear, it's hard to imagine this would register on anyone's list. But for argument's sake let's assume that the worse case scenario happens and you order and 30 seconds later Tesla announces some new, most amazing feature. Based on historical information, I'd guess that Tesla would allow you add that new feature under this circumstance. And probably if a change happened in 24 hours. Probably 48 hours. Maybe even if it happened a week later...as long as your car hadn't entered production.

Now let's assume the worst case scenario only Tesla won't let you add the feature. You could cancel your order if the new feature was something you just had to have. Yep, you'd probably have to forfeit the deposit, but that's not actually the end of the world if that new feature was something you just couldn't live without.

Moral of the story; don't live in fear of what might happen, confirm and be happy with the glorious car you will get because it's only a matter of time until a new feature is added to the Model S and there's just no way of ever knowing what it'll be or when it'll happen.

• Informative x 1
  7. Blue Millenium

I can't believe the next version of AP hardware is coming right around the corner. The current version is still in beta. Not even 9 months since the initial release. The hype around model 3 being fully autonomous is well, hype. Don't believe every speculation you read IMHO.

8. GasKilla

GasKilla No Gas Know Peace

When asked "when is the the best time to order a Tesla" Elon always says now. They make improvements all the time and don't want for "model years" or new product release dates to make improvements. You might not see it in the press but Elon claims they make hundreds of improvements every week (likely mostly software). Order before the current referal program runs out and don't look back!

The sooner you order the sooner you'll be driving the best car ever made by man!

9. SMSMD

SMSMD Member

Second that..this is the best time to pull the trigger as the ramp is also moving fast.