Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"The S and X are better cars than the Model 3" - Elon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know the S is much better rounded package, but I will switch to a Model 3 after eight years of insane fun, as the kids leave our home. But by then the Bermuda triangle (sofa-TV-fridge) may render me MX-grade arthritic.

I had a chance to buy the Model 3 but chose the S when we bought in Sept’18. Need the room to haul everyone and all the stuff... and the S P100D is faster.

My next car will be the Roadster not the 3 when kid is old enough to drive and if he behaves himself, we may let him drive the Teslas and not the 26 yr old Civic.

Here is the S P100D against the Lamborghini Aventedor. Funny they have to race a four door, nearly 5000lbs family sedan against a 500k two seater supercar to avenge:)

Jsut a thought - how about the recent Model S huge price drops are a stock and contract cleardown, prior to 2170 based battery and interior refresh? Still could be 6 months away though and incrementally applied. But with the advent of Supercharger v3 it looks increasingly certain that Tesla must update the MS to M3 battery tech before long.

Jsut a thought - how about the recent Model S huge price drops are a stock and contract cleardown, prior to 2170 based battery and interior refresh? Still could be 6 months away though and incrementally applied. But with the advent of Supercharger v3 it looks increasingly certain that Tesla must update the MS to M3 battery tech before long.

Maybe. It eliminates the complaining (at least partially) when the S upgrades are announced. Those who got the S at current prices at least got it for a nice discount.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
I don’t get it. Tesla announces V3 superchargers, but they’re still building superchargers with 72 KW. Why would they still be doing that???

Fit for purpose.

72kw chargers are much cheaper to install and can be added in existing urban areas and shopping centers without major changes to electrical infrastructure.

It’s also more conducive to the environment where someone might want to charge while performing other activities, running errands, etc.

I would not expect the discontinuation of urban chargers just because a faster option is available to serve a different purpose.

As each day goes by I'm finding this statement from Elon a few conference calls ago getting farther and farther from the truth. How can you say this yet not allow new S and X to support V3 supercharger? It even took a full year after Model 3 was released to upgrade the MCU in the S and X. My S is two years old and I'm fine with not being to use V3 supercharger at 250KW. But they are still building and selling cars that can't, which just seems wrong.

It's wrong? So they're lying to these S and X buyers and telling them they can charge on the V3 chargers at the higher speeds? Or are they honest with them and telling them they can't leverage the new technology? Because if they are telling the potential buyers the truth, and the person buys the car, there is no wrong being done. Period.

What is up with all the whining lately?

Fit for purpose.

72kw chargers are much cheaper to install and can be added in existing urban areas and shopping centers without major changes to electrical infrastructure.

It’s also more conducive to the environment where someone might want to charge while performing other activities, running errands, etc.

I would not expect the discontinuation of urban chargers just because a faster option is available to serve a different purpose.

Hmmmm, I could understand 72 KW for a destination charger, but not for a supercharger.

As to the Model S being incapable to charge at V3 speed, the HV wiring characteristic of the current Model S in the fleet (an older HW) is simply not suited to handle the high amperage as the case is for the Model 3 (newer HW). The wiring of these two cars are not rated the same for the max safe amperage. We are talking about the Model S onboard charge cabling of 17 mm in diameter and rated @350 amp vs. the heavier Model 3 onboard charge cabling of 20 mm in diameter and rated above 500 amp or so. The model S is an older car with older HW. The Model S refresh will catch up.

As each day goes by I'm finding this statement from Elon a few conference calls ago getting farther and farther from the truth. How can you say this yet not allow new S and X to support V3 supercharger? It even took a full year after Model 3 was released to upgrade the MCU in the S and X. My S is two years old and I'm fine with not being to use V3 supercharger at 250KW. But they are still building and selling cars that can't, which just seems wrong.

For one, S and X are safer than Model 3.

• Disagree
Reactions: Sg911 and Tezlah