Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"The S and X are better cars than the Model 3" - Elon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you for your insight . 1) the Taycan has been driven a few times already , the final sketches released last week look like the concept , and the final design will release September 2019 with buyer builds in October , and delivery starting in January 2020. The Audi e-tron is massive at 5800 lbs , and the etron Gt which is very exciting to me, outside of Rivian , is a platform. There are mOdular variants shown at the Geneva automotive show , of a sled like base for them to build off many shorter and longer designs to vertically integrate cost and build alongside its gas engines rather than retool entire factories. The German government just agreed with VW, and 30 other German companies to subsidize and leapfrog the stalled battery projects they had started , and I would not doubt their focus now. A tremendous amount of resources are now being poured into this, and BMW announced today it is skipping rare earth magnets and reinventing the motor technology , and also has battery technology that has range exceeding 400 miles.BMW’s future EVs could outlast the competition by 200 miles

3) I am not yet surprised someone hasn’t ever reverse engineered a better Tesla already . The Legacy automakers have hundreds of billions, and its just a matter of time before they start partnerships to minimize their timelines. Volkswagen has locked down $25B in battery supplies for its electric vehicle push

4) I have had autopilot on Model 3 during the trial , thought meh, and only bought it and FSD last week (more as an investment in resale). I really only wanted TACC , which I’ve had on my ice cars since 2015 , and more Than any other future feature , and before price fluctuations rise again. I love driving My Model 3 Performance. I don’t ever really use nav on autopilot or am on a highway long enough to need it. The auto park is a gimmick , the 3 is the easiest car to drive in the world. I have auto park on my Jeep Grand Cherokee , and rarely used it either . The Model X is just as easy the park . Summon is cool but not absolutely necessary .

Think about this? Why is Tesla rushing to FSD? Is it safer? Absolutely but then what?! There will be a tipping point we are rushing to for everyone’s cars to be connected and to drive us ; where we lose the right , and the privilege of driving ourselves. Imagine this scenario : The statistics will eventually show autonomous cars are 20-75x safer than human pilots. Insurance rates will fall massively , Uber, lyft, autonomous Tesla’s will be more like timeshares, and driving yourself ...will be a luxury tax! So while everyone is clamoring to autonomy , they are also trading freedom for safety/security ! And as Benjamin Franklin said so well. You might lose both! FSD will require government approvals for true autonomy , and I wouldn’t stake that Trump /government lobbyists will agree to that anytime soon. He just stated that autonomous airplanes are crazy , so imagine that leap ... so where is the Tesla edge. Supercharger? Meh that challenge will be solved for other ev’s By the time the. Model Y releases, and it will not be a problem or like Henrik Fisker said , his cars will have inductive charging ! There are many solutions coming that weren’t being looked upon so heavily before 2019.

Tesla lacks any true Customer Service, now that the 3 came out , and Y is on the way ...it deteriorated. It took them 3 days to answer a question I had about autopilot purchase. I have been waiting 6 months for my Carbon Fiber Spoiler . You can’t call them about anything but service issues. I called the local Service department about it . They received 8 spoilers last week , and none were assigned to mine. I mean really ridiculous! Service department is usually great but the back office is a nightmare , and I won’t even go into my nightmare delivery process. This is the Achilles’ heel of Tesla , and where it May cos them dearly in the long run. We all want to leave the franchise dealers behind but this Tesla method of Customer care hasn’t proven a better choice in my experience !! The ability to buy online is brilliant . No salesman, no pressure just like ordering a pizza. Volvo , Audi, Porsche are doing that too now .

Just a few thoughts.

I have to concur regarding Tesla's service quality or lack thereof. At least in my own experience, Tesla service ranks dead last compared to half a dozen other brands including budget Korean carmakers. Friends who have owned Teslas for years also noted how much service has tanked since the introduction of the 3. Reading the horror stories people have shared here about getting the X repaired has given me a good bit of buyer's remorse. I half jokingly told my wife that if she ever gets into an accident in her X, she better total it so it doesn't sit in the shop for three months waiting on parts. I look forward to the day that there are real EV alternatives to Tesla or competition forces them to address their service shortcomings. It's madding that they can get the hard stuff right and the "easy" stuff so wrong.

Reactions: Sg911 and OPRCE
I have to concur regarding Tesla's service quality or lack thereof. At least in my own experience, Tesla service ranks dead last compared to half a dozen other brands including budget Korean carmakers. Friends who have owned Teslas for years also noted how much service has tanked since the introduction of the 3. Reading the horror stories people have shared here about getting the X repaired has given me a good bit of buyer's remorse. I half jokingly told my wife that if she ever gets into an accident in her X, she better total it so it doesn't sit in the shop for three months waiting on parts. I look forward to the day that there are real EV alternatives to Tesla or competition forces them to address their service shortcomings. It's madding that they can get the hard stuff right and the "easy" stuff so wrong.

Interesting read on this thread. My 100d is currently under repair for a rear quarter panel and bumper. Parts ordered 10 days ago and arriving March 24th. In Canada, the service experience has been nothing short of excellent. I’ve owned MS since 2015 (90D) and for the last 3-4 yrs it’s been easy to call in, book an appt, arrive, receive a loaner or rental, receive text updates as to my cars condition and estimated completion. A few times I even had a ranger show up to my home!

Maybe service in Canada is a bit better as SC to owners may be a better ratio? No idea. Having said that I did have an 2017 MX for a brief stint before trading it back in for the 100D MS and a cracked windshield took 6 weeks to arrive. Again not unreasonable considering they told me it may take 1-2 months off the getgo.

Anyone else have positive experiences to share or am I solo here?! Does Tesla have a lot to learn and inprove still? Sure they do. What 10 yr old global company doesn’t!

My service experience has been similar to yours (over the last six years).
Same experience here : best service ever in my book.

Recently had a part needing replacement and it took a week to get it.
The morning of the initial appointment, they contacted me that it was possible the part would not be there for the 1pm appointment. As SeC was on my way, I decided to stop by anyway. The part was not there, they proposed to leave my car until the next day and gave me a loaner (S75). This loaner as courtesy, as I’m way out of warranty.

i h
My service experience has been similar to yours (over the last six years).
ave had nothing but great service with tesla since 2014. always got a loaner, not always a tesla though :(
always been courteous, respectful, and always took care of the problem.. of course i don't go in there being an asshole, which i have witnessed. I have also had 2 fender benders with the car, and each time fixed in less than 2 weeks. bumpers replaced, left side quarter panels repaired new side mirror.

Reactions: AustinP and jerry33
Nice try! The Volvo Polestar 2 is being delivered July 2020, and $1k deposits started last month. the specs aren’t bad and it has 450 hp and 450 torque. It might be heavier but it also has a large interior screen and higher quality interior than a Model 3 and Y.

The past is over ..TESLA will No longer have the EV monopoly. Elon wanted to have the EV revolution , and it has gone viral !

Sounds like you should get rid of your M3 as quickly as you can, while there’s still demand for them!

The X and S are better cars than the 3.
Don't get me wrong, I like my dad's 3 but when i when i go back to me X, its just a whole different level.

Although, i think Tesla should give some more love to X and S owners soon as everything seems to be improving model 3's lately.

Arguably Model X as a newer car with more advanced features is at a slight advantage compared to Model S. It is especially Model S I think that is aging fast compared to Model 3. Model X added some things that Model S still misses...

Reactions: jerry33
I'm interested in what things the Model S misses?
Mine greatly misses the V6 user interface.

Hardware misses:
Rear cupholders (The second biggest complaint from passengers)
Coat hangers
Lighted vanity mirrors
Grab handles for rear
Adjustable shoulder harnesses (The biggest complaint from passengers--front or rear)

I'm interested in what things the Model S misses?

Here:

It is true that Model 3 lacks a second display but Model S lacks these things Model 3 has:

- No interior camera in Model S
- No dual phone chargers in Model S
- No pulldown rear armrest in Model S
- No frunk hooks in Model S
- No interior coat hooks in Model S
- No regular sized door pockets in Model S
- No adjustable seat-belt height in Model S

Model 3 has all of the above. No big deals in themselves, but taken all together it is certainly starting to add up. Also Model 3 has the fancy next-gen ventilation and arguably the media controls on the steering wheel are improved and decidedly next-gen too.

Aside from the dual screens I am hardpressed to think many things the current Model S has interior-wise that Model 3 does not other than ventilated seats in the P model, the heating in the steering wheel and more room — especially given that Tesla discontinued some differentiating options...

Rear cupholders (The second biggest complaint from passengers)
Lighted vanity mirrors

These two Model S has nowadays.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve