Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The time is now, save $2k on a Model S 60

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know if the cost to unlock the 60 to 75 was kept the same or was it reduced by $2k?

The price difference between a 60 and a 75 is now $6,500. So I assume that if you buy a 60 at the new price the upgrade will cost less than it does for the people that bought at the lower price. (Don't expect them to lower the upgrade price for people that paid less.)

The price difference between a 60 and a 75 is now $6,500. So I assume that if you buy a 60 at the new price the upgrade will cost less than it does for the people that bought at the lower price. (Don't expect them to lower the upgrade price for people that paid less.)

It is a $6500 difference now. But I'm assuming if everyone who ordered the 60 before the price increase, will still have to pay $8500 for the upgrade if they so choose.

Eventually, probably. I'm sure they really didn't want to make the 60 since they're using the 75 battery (less profit). Hook 'em and reel them in. I won't upgrade for sure unless it's to a higher battery pack in the future. That little range difference is not worth even $1000 to me.

Same thinking here. I will use the 60 for a few years, until a much high capacity battery pack is offered at a reasonable price, say $20k for 100+kwh.

I can totally see Tesla offering $7000 upgrade promotion to these people.

Why? Does Tesla have a history of offering discounts on software unlocks? As far as I know that is a big NO.

Unlock a S40 to a S60? Nope, still $10k.
Add Supercharging to an old S60? Nope, still $2,500.
Add AP1 features when you didn't buy at delivery? Nope, they even increased the price to $3,500.

• Informative
Reactions: EinSV
Why? Does Tesla have a history of offering discounts on software unlocks? As far as I know that is a big NO.

Add AP1 features when you didn't buy at delivery? Nope, they even increased the price to $3,500.

The fact that they raised the price by $2k is an acknowledgment that their initial plan of offering 60 did not work to their favor. Apparently, they now hope that minimizing the difference between the 60 and 75 would encourage more people to upgrade. The $2k on the already sold 60s is a sunken cost to them after this increase. Any upgrade now, even at $7k is still an upgrade at "full price", and would make their book look good. Everything has a first, let's wait and see.

The fact that they raised the price by $2k is an acknowledgment that their initial plan of offering 60 did not work to their favor.

Offering an alternate point of view, I think this is part of the exit strategy that was always planned for the 60. To me, this always seemed to be a short-term offering to entice Model 3 reservation holders to jump now and drive demand during Q3 and Q4 this year when they're pushing hard to meet annual production goals and turn a profit.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the 60 re-retired some time during the first half of next year.

The fact that they raised the price by $2k is an acknowledgment that their initial plan of offering 60 did not work to their favor. Apparently, they now hope that minimizing the difference between the 60 and 75 would encourage more people to upgrade. The $2k on the already sold 60s is a sunken cost to them after this increase. Any upgrade now, even at $7k is still an upgrade at "full price", and would make their book look good. Everything has a first, let's wait and see.

Digging out this old thread to prove a point to MP3Mike ;)

Offering an alternate point of view, I think this is part of the exit strategy that was always planned for the 60. To me, this always seemed to be a short-term offering to entice Model 3 reservation holders to jump now and drive demand during Q3 and Q4 this year when they're pushing hard to meet annual production goals and turn a profit.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the 60 re-retired some time during the first half of next year.
Maybe Q1 sales pusher will be the announcement that the 60 is going away