Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor The Tire Rack is proud to be a part of teslamotorsclub.com !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why aren't the oem tires listed when I do a search for the P85+? If I search for the tire sizes independently it lists them, but if I search for both sizes simultaneously it only returns the P Zero Neros.

Programming error on our part, I'll get that fixed !

- - - Updated - - -

Well, this is disappointing. I just clinked on the link in doc@tireracks' signature and chose 2010 Tesla Roadster. There were 0 products available. Same for a 2011 Roadster 2.5.

Some love for the Roadster, which you did not even mention in your intro, would be appreciated by a good number of us. This is a Tesla forum, not just a Model S one. Also keep in mind that while there a lot more Model S owners out there, the Roadster owners go through tires pretty quickly.

Point taken. To be sure my intention was not to exclude Roadster owners. Unfortunately we have not had access to a Roadster here in Indiana to measure for wheel fitments. I'll make sure we get at least some OE tire information loaded in the short term.....

I'd ask that if any Roadster owner felt compelled to make the drive to beautiful South Bend IN, we would welcome the opportunity to measure their car for any wheel options we can muster !

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums, Doc.

In the spirit of the above, I have a question: I'm interested in the Rial Lugano 19" wheels. A number of Model S owners have bought them and seem quite happy. I've heard conflicting views on the different offset between the Rials (32 mm) and the factory Tesla wheels (40 mm). What can you tell us about this difference in terms of safety, performance, handling etc. 8 mm doesn't seem like a lot, but I would like to know what the caveats (if any) are of using a wheel with a different offset. Thanks!

Bear in mind that while offset is measure from the centerline of the wheel (and every wheel has a centerline), the offset also has to account for the width and design (shape and thickness of spokes, thickness of the mounting pad, etc). I'm not an engineer, but I know some good ones that I work with and I'm sure we don't want to recommend any wheel that could cause even the slightest safety issue. Obviously the lower offsets put the wheel closer to the curbside, which affects lateral stability but I'd like to think that the numbers we are dealing with would have a negligible affect.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm missing something but tirerack has had info for Roadster tires for years
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Selec...autoModel=Roadster&autoYear=2010&autoModClar=

Anyway, welcome to TMC Doc.

Yes, that's where I buy the tires for my Roadster!

I'd like to ask - although it sounds like you don't have the info necessary - if it's possible to put wider tires on the front of the Roadster. I find it has too much understeer for autocross, even with the adjustable suspension dialed all the way.

Yes, that's where I buy the tires for my Roadster!

I'd like to ask - although it sounds like you don't have the info necessary - if it's possible to put wider tires on the front of the Roadster. I find it has too much understeer for autocross, even with the adjustable suspension dialed all the way.

I need to talk to Rob Dietsch at Dietschwerks and he had a few other tire options that should work for the 1.5 Roadster which we're going to have to move up to a 195 width up front. These will also work for the 2.x since they have the tire learning for the traction control system whereas the 1.5's do not and we're stuck with doing that rotational revolution that matches the rotation revolutions of the original Yoko AD07 front and rears. One brand was Dunlop he uses on the Lotus Elise. Will get the model when I have a moment and post here as well as in the 1.5 Roadster Tire Thread (sticky).

As for the Tire Rack and Roadster tire selection, I bought my AD08's there for the rear to replace the original more expensive AD07s and had excellent service. The only thing that could be improved would be to list comparable tires that also will work, currently it just lists the OEM and we have to manually search for other options in tire models/brands that match the size. Also Doc, keep in mind when you do update the 1.5 Roadsters are limited to the type of tires they can use and its tightly matched to the tire revolutions of the front and rear that match close to the stock yoko ad07's as I mentioned above. The list will differ between the two, and again the 2.x models have more flex in tire choice.

Welcome, doc!

I've been eyeing the 19" gunmetal Rial Luganos for my Model S and have been following the experiences of the pioneers here.

The part that's holding me back is the center caps; folks have found creative solutions to cover up the Rial logo with Tesla logo stickers and such but, is this something that TireRack might consider tackling straight out the gate? Not sure if you can legally work with Tesla's logo directly but, for the titanium gunmetals, a matching black center cap with no logo would be great!

Second the suggestion up-thread by neroden to consider coming up with Aero wheels for the Model S!

Great to have Tirerack on board.

I am going to be replacing my tires soon and I need a set of tires that can replace the OEM Goodyear RS-A2 tires but in staggered fitment. I need a 255/45 and 245/45 that will offer similar levels of grip, comfort, noise, and life as the OEMs. This seems to be a pretty difficult staggered fitment to find.

I have a set of Rial Lugano's on order. I forgot to specify the size of the lug nuts (M14x1.5 instead of the standard M12x1.5).

Do I need to call in to specify, or does TireRack now automatically do that if the vehicle is specified as: "13 Tesla Model S"?

I have a set of Rial Lugano's on order. I forgot to specify the size of the lug nuts (M14x1.5 instead of the standard M12x1.5).

Do I need to call in to specify, or does TireRack now automatically do that if the vehicle is specified as: "13 Tesla Model S"?

We will send conical lug nuts (14x1.5 pitch) automatically given the vehicle listed......

- - - Updated - - -

Great to have Tirerack on board.

I am going to be replacing my tires soon and I need a set of tires that can replace the OEM Goodyear RS-A2 tires but in staggered fitment. I need a 255/45 and 245/45 that will offer similar levels of grip, comfort, noise, and life as the OEMs. This seems to be a pretty difficult staggered fitment to find.

255/45R19 is s tough tire size for us to find, as it is seldom used as original equipment (Mercedes GLK and Porsche Panamera the only ones I know of).....since the 255 is barely 1/2" wider on average, I'd say it might not be worth the effort to pursue.

I need to talk to Rob Dietsch at Dietschwerks and he had a few other tire options that should work for the 1.5 Roadster which we're going to have to move up to a 195 width up front.

Right. My Roadster is a 2.0 and doesn't have the same revs problem. Also when running the A048's the standard front size is 195/50 R16, so I'm looking for something even wider, if possible.

Maybe I'm missing something but tirerack has had info for Roadster tires for years
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Selec...autoModel=Roadster&autoYear=2010&autoModClar=

Anyway, welcome to TMC Doc.

I had no doubt Tirerack had available Roadster tires. What I did find odd, however, is that clicking on the link in the signature of the TireRack rep led to 0 options for the Roadster:

http://www.tirerack.com/upgrade_garage/SelectProduct2.jsp?autoMake=Tesla&autoModel=Roadster&autoYear=2010&autoModClar=

If that link is supposed to be specialized for a Tesla forum, Roadster options need to be accessible from that link.

Anyway, sounds like doc understands and will hopefully address the issue in a subsequent update. I know many of us would find it very helpful.

Thanks to all ! We are excited to be a part of the forum !

- - - Updated - - -

The spare may be a tough one, but we hope to have more 19" and 21" options in the Spring when our new wheel models are announced !

I poked around a little bit into the possibility of using a Vredestein Space Master, which is the inflatable/collapsible spare that Porsche used for many years in the 911. They still use it in the Cayenne (as do VW and Audi in the Touareg and Q7), and it's also fitted in various Mercedes cars.

The first problem is that the tire fitted to the 18" wheel in the Cayenne is too big, circumferentially, and the one fitted to the E63 is too small. According to Vredestein's website, those are the only 18" sizes they make.

The second, bigger problem is that a Vredestein dealer told me that the Space Master is only sold by the OEM fitted to the wheel--he could not sell me one loose. Neither the Mercedes or VAG wheel use the same bolt pattern as the Tesla, so it doesn't look that's a viable option. I don't think TireRack deals with Vredestein, in any event.

I continue to think that a BMW steel wheel is the best space-saver spare option, something that I hope to verify when I finally get my car.

Suggestion for Tire Rack: Put a place on the web site where we can order tire pressure sensors that are compatible.

As we are set up now, we'd have you enter the vehicle information (naturally), select any of the wheels shown and put it in your shopping cart. The site will then offer the correct BAO branded TPMS sensor and ask if you would like to add to the order. You can add the sensors, remove the wheel from the shopping cart and proceed as needed.

Granted, its a little labor intensive, but's the best way we have at the moment. Also, please remember that new sensors will have to be reset by an authorized mechanic or Tesla "Ranger"

All the wheels we guarantee to fit the Model S will accept the sensor with no issues, but be advised that if you are buying wheels from someone else don't assume the same. Sensors are not returnable once the packaging has been opened......

Last edited:
Another suggestion or Tire Rack: Add the ability to search for wheels that are USA made or at least not China made. The Rial's and the OZ wheels are not China wheels, therefore are going to be a much higher quality and safer product.
Point of clarification:
Is your intent "buy USA" or "don't buy China" or "higher quality and safer"? It's useful for folks like Doc to know which you actually mean so the UI and filtering can be done accordingly.

- - - Updated - - -

@Doc
Expected tread life.
Warrantied tread life.
Rolling resistance.
Environmental temperature ranges.

All of these things I want to filter on when looking for tires (think Amazon query) but they aren't easy to do with Tirerack.com (or I just haven't found the UI for it). The closest I've come is to narrow down by other criteria and then use additional, separate research to filter from there.

Please consider these for future improvements to the web site.

Another suggestion or Tire Rack: Add the ability to search for wheels that are USA made or at least not China made. The Rial's and the OZ wheels are not China wheels, therefore are going to be a much higher quality and safer product.

At this time, we do not have a way to sort by country of origin. To be clear, all the manufacturers we work strive to make a safe and high quality product so I'd hesitate to infer anything from the country of origin alone.